1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2002 Expy XLS 4X4 - suddenly no electrical

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 PM
ogrejelly
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Expy XLS 4X4 - suddenly no electrical

Hi all,

I had a weird problem last week and after countless google searches, I have come up short of any answers.

Details: 2002 Ford Expedition with the 5.4L 260 hp V8 and 89K miles

Issue: The wife called after a quick run to the hardware store indicating the truck would not start. She indicated there was a ticking sound coming from inside the vehicle and that turning the key made no noise or anything.

When I got to the ticking noise was still occurring and it was coming from the fuse panel. I removed the panel and it felt as though it was coming from relay1. In this condition, no lights would work or any electronics in the vehicle other than a few dash lights. The ticking continued for another 10 min then suddenly stopped. After it stopped, the truck start and everything was normal.

Once home I pulled the battery and had it run through a test. Everything checked out fine.

One last weird thing.... about eight months ago I brought it in for service because the rear drivers side door would not function. They indicated a window motor problem and the repair was ~$500. I decided against the repair due to cost. For some reason now the window appears to work again. The rear wiper which also stopped working now seems to function.

I am worried about electrical issues but am far from being able to determine the root cause myself.

Thoughts on what this may be?

- Could the window issue actually be a short which caused the complete electrical failure?

- Could it be an aging or faulty car alarm?

Thanks for any advice or help!

Last edited by ogrejelly; 02-23-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: detailed title
Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
I'd say the issue of the vehicle not starting was probably dirty battery posts and cables. When you pulled, then reinstalled the battery, you probably got a good electrical contact between the two again. The windows intermittently operating sounds to me like you may have corroded contacts where the harness connects to the motors. I'd pull the harness, clean the the contacts up the best you can, apply some dielectric grease on them then hook them back up.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 AM
etewald
Senior User
Sounds like the super common GEM problem to me. That's what mine did when the GEM went bad. Clicking under the dash, various random electronics components not working. You should check for a windshield leak and corrosion on/in the GEM.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 AM
ogrejelly
New User
Originally Posted by madsonp
I'd say the issue of the vehicle not starting was probably dirty battery posts and cables. When you pulled, then reinstalled the battery, you probably got a good electrical contact between the two again. The windows intermittently operating sounds to me like you may have corroded contacts where the harness connects to the motors. I'd pull the harness, clean the the contacts up the best you can, apply some dielectric grease on them then hook them back up.
Madsonp - The terminals were clean and the clicking stopped without me messing with under the hood or terminals. So it "fixed itself" prior to me pulling the battery and getting it tested.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
ogrejelly
New User
Originally Posted by etewald
Sounds like the super common GEM problem to me. That's what mine did when the GEM went bad. Clicking under the dash, various random electronics components not working. You should check for a windshield leak and corrosion on/in the GEM.
Been reading up on that a bit and it seems related to a window leak and water getting within the fuse box area. Living in Arizona, I very rarely see water and if I do it did not rain within two weeks of this occurring.

Any recommendations on how to determine if it is the GEM while it is in working condition?

Between this and the well kown blown plug issue (#3 went on me a month ago) I am starting to wonder if I should sell and pick up something else. Problem is it is in great shape otherwise and fully paid which is real nice.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:31 PM
ogrejelly
New User
Solved

It turned out to be the actual battery cables/connectors. The original cables were cut and new terminals were put on about two years ago. Apparently the voltage drop was just enough to cause these problems. They replaced the cables/terminals and it seems to have solved the problem. Thx all for your help!