6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

slow take off and sooty black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:39 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slow take off and sooty black smoke

06 250 w 65k and it is sluggish on take off, and puffs black smoke most of the time. other than that it runs good. any ideas?

Old 06-11-2010, 05:45 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You are under warranty, take it to dealer.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:47 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you check it for trouble codes Daniel?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:04 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
I am still under warranty and I can't check for codes. Month 4 on the new truck and it isnt getting any better than the 258k old one. Every flipping month i am having to put it in the shop

Old 06-12-2010, 07:23 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by guthrie&co
I am still under warranty and I can't check for codes. Month 4 on the new truck and it isnt getting any better than the 258k old one. Every flipping month i am having to put it in the shop

So know absolutely nothing about the truck's previous maintenance, repair history, have owned it for 4 months, do not know if it was abused (including running tunes and mods), and you are now going to blame it on the product.

How about some science here?

Start with $50 for a code reader.

Then how about this killer app called the Oasis report?

Have you changed the oil? Filters?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Sounds like EGR needs cleaned OR turbo veins are stuck and the turbo needs cleaned.

Daniel.....love your quote. I think you should add "with you on your long trip on the short bus"

Old 06-12-2010, 09:52 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gearloose1
So know absolutely nothing about the truck's previous maintenance, repair history, have owned it for 4 months, do not know if it was abused (including running tunes and mods), and you are now going to blame it on the product.

How about some science here?

Start with $50 for a code reader.

Then how about this killer app called the Oasis report?

Have you changed the oil? Filters?
When I researched the truck i pulled the oasis on it and it came back clean as well did the carfax. I don't need your sarcasm. Considering since I have owed the truck I have put batteries, an alternator, pinion seal, and a rear end seal, it starts like crap when cold and shifts hard when it is cold, and now the soot issue. yes I am going to blame the product. The entire reason for selling the old truck was to avoid having it in the shop. Obviously now i am having a problem with the product. Now YOU know what the history is on the truck and you can actually contribute and idea or thought.

I thought on the 06 and up didn't have a variable vein turbo?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:14 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,468 Likes on 1,710 Posts
All model year 6.0L's have the variable vane turbo.

On my 2006, I upgraded the EGR valve somewhat proactively, along with getting the newest flash. When I pulled the EGR valve at 30k it was an absolute mess. So, even though I really wasn't having any symptoms, I changed it out for the upgraded part.

Between the new valve (that has some upgraded parts over the original) and the new flash, the 50k inspection showed only a light dusting of dry soot.

The EGR valve should be covered at zero deductible. Hope this helps.

Edit -
The hard starts when cold sound like injector stiction. Hopefully a new flash would help that. I would also try 5W40 if you don't already. If the cold start issues aren't stiction related, then the FICM voltage would be my next check.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 AM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Thanks, that 's the info I was looking for. Do you know what they upgraded in the new egr?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 AM
solaratomic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that 's the info I was looking for. Do you know what they upgraded in the new egr?
I think they put a stronger return spring, IIRC the new part has a pink dot on top of it.
I feel your pain on the 06 6.0, owned mine since october. Has been in the shop 6-8 times for various issues. It has to go back again tuesday for an oil leak that they were have suposed to have fixed last time. Bought w/ 43K, got 52K now. Just hoping all this crap irons out...I really like my truck but my wife has already mentioned trading it. My thoughts are, on what? Dodges have a great engine and crappy truck, Chevys are seemingly the least of the evils, but I've always been a Ford man. 2011 Fords are just too expensive and unproven. I could go gasser but what I tow would really be pushing it for a gas motor. It's disheartening to say the least. Good luck, hope yours straightens up.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:38 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,468 Likes on 1,710 Posts
Upgrades:
Eliminate Wire Mesh (not sure how this is an upograde, Ford went back and forth on this)
Add Shaft Seal
Increase Spring Preload
Reduced Clearance between Bushing & Shaft

Old 06-13-2010, 09:39 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
...... it starts like crap when cold and shifts hard when it is cold
I have found that this is usually from injector stiction. I had this all winter fighting a problematic injector (and some tuning related--no inductive heating) As soon as the truck is warm or close to warm it runs and shifts ok. When cold the tranny will snap your neck off, but it's not the tranny, it was an injector. IMHO you have a couple of issues which should be fairly easy to take care of with one trip to the dealer.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 AM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
I think i am going to take her in on monday. egr fix should be free, if it's and injector that's only going to cost 100.00 and lets hope nothing else electronic is broken. Thanks for the help guys. I love this truck and hope this truck last for a while.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:41 AM
solaratomic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector will be free also. It's covered under the emissions warranty.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:46 AM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
100.00 deductible isnt it?

Quick Reply: slow take off and sooty black smoke