6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I Bought Bad Diesel!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Subzero68
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Bought Bad Diesel!

When I first took my truck out after buying it the tank was on empty so I went to go buy fuel. The "good" station my buddy told me to buy from had their pump out of order so I went across the street ( smaller less busy station) where they had diesel and bought about 5 gal. The next day I run some errands and my WIF light turns on so the truck gets parked until I open the plug to drain. My plug was corroded ( halfway disenigrated) so I bought a new one that took 2 days to get to the dealer. After that I've been driving around for the past couple days. I bought some diesel fuel additive that supposedly helps with seperating water and cleans injectors to put in my next fuel up ( in 2 days). I'm also changing fuel filters this weekend as they needed to be changed anyway. I'm not going to that place ever again and I told everyone I know that has a diesel to avoid it also. I didn't know much about diesel fuel stations when I first bought the truck but I sure do now. Can I change my filters with a full tank or does it need to be low? Should I do anything else to help? Thanks

Old 12-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Changing fuel filters works best when fuel tank level is low. Some folk have no problems changing filters with a full tank, but my experience is that some fuel continues to drain out of the filter if the tank is full.

It is not unusual to get a WIF light. This means that the filter is doing its job and separating the water from our fuel. (Some aftermarket fuel filters do not have the Aqua-block feature of the MotoCraft or International filters, so you might never see a WIF light). As long as you only see a small amount of water with the fuel being drained, the fuel you purchased was probably OK.

Lou Braun

Old 12-19-2013, 05:17 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run a fuel add at every fill up at least 4oz per, this helps in corrosion , you mite have to clean up the HFCM down on the rail, the old owner may not have ran an additive, so HFCM may be gunked up giving you the wif lite.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Subzero68
Senior User
I did clean out the seperator by spraying carb cleaner up inside. Only a little bit of brown came fluid came out ( carb cleaner mixed with whatever gunk was up there). No big chunks or sludge. I'll start running an additive then, today I just picked one off the self that said it would clean injectors and help with water delegation. I made sure and bought Motorcraft filters. Sounds like I'm on the right track with the new truck. Thanks for the help

Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
What additive did you get? There was a huge thread awhile ago that I can't find about emulsifiers vis-a-vis demulsifiers and which one can damage injectors.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
No Problem, Diesel kleen because you can find it just about any where,Grey bottle in the summer and white in the winter I haven't seen a diff from the two, Howes, Stanadyne, is what I use and it has real good results, the other reason would be to keep algie growth is what you are probably seeing, yea good Idea to use 4oz every fill and keep only one or two known fill station that you know the fuel has high traffic diesel, the other stations mite have growth already who knows better than your Truck

Old 12-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Subzero68
Senior User
I bought "Iso-HEET +Injector Cleaner Water Remover and Premium Fuel Line Antifreeze". Made by Sta-Bil. It comes in a red bottle. I'm not particularly planning to use this specific one all the time but I figured it's worth a try for $3. The parts place didn't carry the kind I wanted- Opti-Lube. They did haves Howes which is what I'll try next. Is the kind I bought a good one or atleast a decent one that won't damage injectors?

Old 12-19-2013, 06:25 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Subzero68
I bought "Iso-HEET +Injector Cleaner Water Remover and Premium Fuel Line Antifreeze". Made by Sta-Bil. It comes in a red bottle. I'm not particularly planning to use this specific one all the time but I figured it's worth a try for $3. Is that a good one?
I haven't heard this one Is it for power stroke diesel? gota becarefull about what you run in these engines IE= coolant, fuel, additives,OILs

Old 12-19-2013, 06:31 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I see that iso-heet contains alcohol, dont use it as the alcohol will damage the injectors. DO NOT use products that contain alcohol.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:31 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Manufacturer says it's ok. If you dilute it with a full tank of diesel you should be fine just once.
Originally Posted by Gold Eagle
Q: Can I use HEET® brand in 2 cycle or diesel engines?

A: No, only use HEET® brand (in the yellow bottle) in 4-cycle gasoline engines. However, ISO-HEET® brand (in the red bottle) can be used in any type of internal combustion engine (2 cycle, 4 cycle and diesel).
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...additives.html

I would still switch to a different additive for long term use.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:40 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by mustang_309
I see that iso-heet contains alcohol, dont use it as the alcohol will damage the injectors. DO NOT use products that contain alcohol.
Damit that leaves me out Alcohol keeps the dr. away, OH the Truck sorry mis read

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Manufacturer says it's ok.
They say but do we know has it been proven? in 6.0L . Pretty Expensive mis- take

Old 12-19-2013, 06:42 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
<p>I believe the alcohol forces the water into solution so the special membrane on the primary filter will not remove it.</p>

Old 12-19-2013, 06:49 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
That makes sence, it also disapates water and very harsh to componites like Injectors because theres no lube to it and eating some gaskits ,leaving the HFCM a complete muck mess.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Subzero68
Senior User
I won't be using it in that case. I'd hate to have something happen to my new truck. What should I use? Howes?

Old 12-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Fal-308-Win
Posting Guru
Use Diesel Kleen, get it a Walmart, pick up a gallon of 2 stroke ashless oil too. Get your Ford oil filter also. Mix one cup diesel kleen with one cup 2 stroke oil, pour mix in your tank first then fill up. You'll be amaze at how quiet your injectors run.

Quick Reply: I Bought Bad Diesel!