6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Best Mods For Fuel Economy? (New here)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EXTREMEFUN1300
but because I want to get better then 15 1/2-16mpg.
I don't know why you are complaining. I would love to get 15.5-16 mpg on a regular basis. I hit 16 mpg one time and that's been it. I mainly stick around the 13 area.

I simply asked what are the best, most practical modifications to make to help with fuel economy.
Short answer is that none of the things that you asked about will. Right foot, upkeep etc will do more for you in improving MPG then any mod that I can think of can.

Trust me on that, I've been around the block with regard to modifying the 6.0. I'm still down low in the MPG department and despite it being 500+hp, I still drive it with a mind toward economy most of the time. Unless diesel fuel really shoots up in price, most things are going to pay off in MPG gained to make it worth it in the near term(within 3-4 yrs depending on yearly miles driven average for you).

Old 06-11-2010, 08:36 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EXTREMEFUN1
I'd settle for 2-3...outside of buying a new bicycle or a Honda, what does it take. Is that so hard for God sakes? LOL

I know of no mods short of a complete rebuild, as in like the 6.7 (or things that are flatly unlawful like removing Cat, EGR, etc. ) that will even begin to give you 2 or 3mpg.

2/20 mpg is 10%

3/20mpg is 15%

Use a lower base number, and it is even harder to achieve.

Sure, if you locked the engine into being optimized at one narrow RPM band, say 1,300 rpm +/- 100, there might be 10% gains from tuning the valves, especially if you used a variable valve timing, etc. and optimizing it for just output in that range, then pairing it with a manual 18 speed transmission that can use that torque curve.

But if I wanted to drive a truck like that, I would get an 18 wheeler.

You will have to rewrite the laws of physics to do that.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Gental Ben 2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my 6.0l for 3 months now and it replaced (gasp) a Dodge Caravan.
Love the truck now that the kids are older and don't need a 7 seater but it doesn't get out as often as I would like.
I'm in BC (above Washington State) and pay about $5 a gallon @ an avg of 14mpg.
Conversely I commute daily in an 08 Civic @ 32mpg.
I am bit neurotic trying to maximize fule economy through driving style but of yet can't get more than 14mpg; only 56k on the 05 and it seems to be running perfect.
This is my 4th diesel and they all seemed to get the same mpg on any fixed route comparison regardless of driving stlye so I now have settled into driving for fun & not getting to crazy about how I etc. accelerate- hell my Ford Service mng told me the best thing was to drive it like I stole it
The only thing I might try is the tire air pressure: I'm only running 55 PSi to try and cushion the ride. Will going to 65 give me a 1/4 mpg???
BTW: nice drag bike; saw them go at SIR in 1990 & thought they were insane!!!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Thank you, Troy.
I'm amazed at a select few that interpret someone asking a question or two as that they're idiots and don't know anything.
I actually got rid of my 21 1/2mpg 2007 Tacoma for my truck, because what I tow was simply way to much for the Toyota. I build and race fuel injected turbocharged ProStreet motorcycles that make more HP then the majority of the trucks on this site, so I'm very familiar with mechanics and electronics and why things do what and when.
My truck has 33k miles on it, it's a 2006 in prestine condition, and I simply came here to get better informed (because we all know for every one opinion there's 50 others that disagree with it) as to what I need to do to keep it for as long as I can with the least amount of issues.
I asked about fuel economy not because I think I'll ever get 21 1/2mpg, but because I want to get better then 15 1/2-16mpg. I'm not looking for big HP/TQ gains, I don't need it only towing 7k lbs, I simply asked what are the best, most practical modifications to make to help with fuel economy. It's a beautiful, classy truck that does more then what I actually need it for, I got an extremely solid deal on it and I want to make sure it lasts.
Thanks to those who have helped, apprecaite that!
Matt
What you get here at this site Matt is a bunch of powerstroke diehards who not only want to give you advice on your specific question, but to also give you additional advice to keep your truck on the road and for you to never have a Toyota in your drive again.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:46 PM
lostru
Mountain Pass
Now I will say right off the bat I haven't owned my F350 long but these few things helped me with fuel economy.
#1. I quit driving it like it was a gas burner. Let the engine build. If you try to make this engine keep up with all the other vehicles then the milage will stink. Give it pedal and let it get there. Light foot goes a long way. Its hard to remember that we are moving a lot more weight than others around us because it will move it so easy.
#2. Turbo. Its kind of like a mother in law. Keep her out of it. If the turbo gets involved then a lot more resources get used.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 PM
EXTREMEFUN1300
New User
Thanks Ben, the bikes are seriously fun to ride! This particular bike makes 507 at the rear wheel. Still working on the the chassis and clutch a little to get it to hook, but we're looking at 7.50's at over 190mph this season.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:01 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
http://www.kenworth.com/FuelEconomyWhitePaper.pdf

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...deer_puetz.pdf

These two papers, the second one a bit dated, lists virtually every trick in the book that can be tried to get better fuel economy.

If you are focusing on just engine mods, try this:

A electrically activated valve train: this should pick up somewhere around 1 to 3% because electrically activated valves are more efficient.

By being able to program and tune the valve timing to optimize the engine can pick up 10% overall efficiency.

Eliminate the hydraulic power steering and brake boost --- replace it with a electrically activated one --- worth 1%, perhaps a bit more.

Eliminate the 6.0 HPOP and replace it with a higher pressure Common Rail Fuel Injection system --- with tuning, might pick up 2 to 3%

Convert the transmission to manual 18 speed -- eliminate torque converter losses.

Junk that big box trailer of yours and replace it with an aerodynamically optimized trailer that is 1/2 the weight and 1/2 the drag... that will pick up 10% right there.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ok so now that I know what the goal is for mph...
I regularly get 17+ hand calc out of my 06. I got it stock as well.
I have seen numbers as high as 24mpg.
the key once aging is running the turck at about 1800 rpm and low on the boost.
day to day driving on the comute 17-19 mpg. A trip up north nonstop and no traffic I can run at 21+.
Im one of the few that am able to do this and get the numbers I do. Im very light on the pedal and drive more off the boost gauge then any other on my dash.
I will also say that 99% of my driving is empty no load so that also helps me alot.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
By way of observation... Ford, in creating the new 6.7 diesel, managed to eke out a MPG improvement of maybe 20% over the 6.4

That is with a complete clean sheet redesign.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
EXTREMEFUN1300
New User
Originally Posted by gearloose1
http://www.kenworth.com/FuelEconomyWhitePaper.pdf

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...deer_puetz.pdf

These two papers, the second one a bit dated, lists virtually every trick in the book that can be tried to get better fuel economy.

If you are focusing on just engine mods, try this:

A electrically activated valve train: this should pick up somewhere around 1 to 3% because electrically activated valves are more efficient.

By being able to program and tune the valve timing to optimize the engine can pick up 10% overall efficiency.

Eliminate the hydraulic power steering and brake boost --- replace it with a electrically activated one --- worth 1%, perhaps a bit more.

Eliminate the 6.0 HPOP and replace it with a higher pressure Common Rail Fuel Injection system --- with tuning, might pick up 2 to 3%

Convert the transmission to manual 18 speed -- eliminate torque converter losses.

Junk that big box trailer of yours and replace it with an aerodynamically optimized trailer that is 1/2 the weight and 1/2 the drag... that will pick up 10% right there.

All great suggestions, I'll get right on that.
And if you can find me a 27' Toy Hauler with all the same accomodations that weighs less then 5300lbs dry, I'll junk the "big box trailer" and buy it.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:26 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
And if you can find me a 27' Toy Hauler with all the same accomodations that weighs less then 5300lbs dry, I'll junk the "big box trailer" and buy it.

Easy.

Go to a medium duty truck like an Izusu with a box on top.

Go with super single tires.

Some aerodynamic fairings.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 PM
EXTREMEFUN1300
New User
NICE!

I wouldn't give out to many details of your home though...someone might get the impression you're a tool. Oh wait...

Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Not often do we get visitors coming in demanding a rewrite of the laws of thermodynamics and physics all in one sitting.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:40 PM
EXTREMEFUN1300
New User
Wait, it almost sounds like...you don't like that answer?

Old 06-11-2010, 09:46 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
I thought there were some tuners who has tunes that are strictly biased towards fuel economy and less on emmissions like the stock tunes. Am I wrong?

Quick Reply: Best Mods For Fuel Economy? (New here)