6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:20 AM
mmx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Quick question,
You made reference to testing resistance between pin 6 and 13.
Pin 6 is the CAN serial data high line but pin 13 is not used (and sometimes not present). Should pin 13 still be used or is there different pin I should check?

Originally Posted by cheezit
ok so what is the resistance between pins 6 and 13 at the dlc connector with the key off?
do the dash lights come on?
do you have v-rev?
do you have vbatt?
did you hook up the 12v lead to the fuse box? is there 12v at the cjb and bjb?
have you check powers and grounds at the pcm relay and ficm relay?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:29 AM
mmx
New User
2003 F-350 6.0 will not crank.

I also have a 2003 F-350 6.0 that will not crank.
Makes the usual noises under the hood in the "on" position (relays & vacuum pump, etc.)
Batteries have enough power to crank it over when I put 12 volts to the yellow & blue wire near the vacuum pump, but still will not start.
Also, the glow plug indicator light that usually goes out in 1 or 2 seconds, now stays on (80° outside) while in the on position.
I checked for resistance between pin 6 and 13, but the ohm meter showed that the circuit was "open" (my diagram shows "pin 13" is unused)

As far as I can tell, it is all stock and has the Ford installed remote start and security system.
Any ideas?

Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM
shift6durastroke
Freshman User
Check your Fan sensor, trust me it took me a week to figure it out til I got the 6.0 bible. No good connection=no crank. I promise. Second one to check will do the same thing. Drivers side exhaust manifold has a stainless tube with a sensor on top of it. Check that also. no good connection=no crank.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:04 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mmx
Quick question,
You made reference to testing resistance between pin 6 and 13.
Pin 6 is the CAN serial data high line but pin 13 is not used (and sometimes not present). Should pin 13 still be used or is there different pin I should check?
you want the other can buss wire so ohm can- to can+ that should get you there. They should be second to the last two top and bottom.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 AM
mmx
New User
Thanks for all of the great tips. I learned a lot about this truck in a very short time.

I checked all of the suggested sensors & relays, but was still unable to get the truck to crank.

It turned out to be one of the first things that I checked; a bad relay in the fuse panel.
I did check the voltage readings in the socket as suggested, and all was fine. The relay "clicked" when I turned the key to the crank position, so I presumed all was fine there too.

The solution turned out to be tapping lightly on each relay with a screwdriver handle while holding the key in the crank position and as soon as I tapped the 2nd relay, the truck turned over. Ford seems to use the same relay throughout the truck (about 1" cube) so I switched relays with another non-critical one (accessory) and it started right up. I ordered 10 of them, because they were only $2.00 each if you order 10 or more, and this is the second one that failed since I’ve owned the truck (the first one controlled the heater fan)

I hope this solution can help somebody else.

Thanks again

Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
I like the beat on somethin till it works theory! "Long on Back, Short on Brain"

Old 10-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Matt Carlson
New User
I have the same problem but I have replaced the ignition switch, and the starter relay. I tried jumping the yellow and blue wire got a big spark, but no crank. I use to be able to hold the key in the start position and it would start to crank after about 30 seconds now it just won’t turn over at all. My FICM is going out would that cause it to not crank? Last time I replaced the FICM I was having the same problem and it seams like it went away after the FICM was replaced. Should I buy an after market FICM like the one at Swamps or stick with the FORD FICM.
Thanks
2004 POS

Old 02-12-2012, 03:45 AM
kayooh
Freshman User
Where is the fan sensor?

Originally Posted by shift6durastroke
Check your Fan sensor, trust me it took me a week to figure it out til I got the 6.0 bible. No good connection=no crank. I promise. Second one to check will do the same thing. Drivers side exhaust manifold has a stainless tube with a sensor on top of it. Check that also. no good connection=no crank.
Please tell me where I can locate the fan sensor.

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:50 AM
kayooh
Freshman User
Which relay was the culprit?

Originally Posted by mmx
Thanks for all of the great tips. I learned a lot about this truck in a very short time.

I checked all of the suggested sensors & relays, but was still unable to get the truck to crank.

It turned out to be one of the first things that I checked; a bad relay in the fuse panel.
I did check the voltage readings in the socket as suggested, and all was fine. The relay "clicked" when I turned the key to the crank position, so I presumed all was fine there too.

The solution turned out to be tapping lightly on each relay with a screwdriver handle while holding the key in the crank position and as soon as I tapped the 2nd relay, the truck turned over. Ford seems to use the same relay throughout the truck (about 1" cube) so I switched relays with another non-critical one (accessory) and it started right up. I ordered 10 of them, because they were only $2.00 each if you order 10 or more, and this is the second one that failed since I’ve owned the truck (the first one controlled the heater fan)

I hope this solution can help somebody else.

Thanks again
Please tell me exactly which relay you are referring to.

Thank you.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by kayooh
Please tell me exactly which relay you are referring to.

Thank you.
The fan sensor is self contained in the fan clutch.

The starter relay is here:

Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2012, 03:41 AM
kayooh
Freshman User
After preforming most of the tests mentioned above, on my 6.0, and 2003 without succeeding inn getting the truck to crank, I decided to buy a Scanner and it threw code P2285 "Injector Control Pressure Sensor circuit low"!

Could this be the culprit?
Is this sensor designed to prevent an engine from running!?

Thank you.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:40 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,467 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Visually inspect the ICP sensor harness and connector for damage, corrosion, or incorrect routing.

This can cause a no-start.

Unplug it and try to re-start.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM
underhammersdotcom
New User
So what was the trouble?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:15 PM
kayooh
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bismic
Visually inspect the ICP sensor harness and connector for damage, corrosion, or incorrect routing.

This can cause a no-start.

Unplug it and try to re-start.
Where would be the easiest place to reach the harness/connector and the ICP sensor itself!?

Thank you.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:20 PM
underhammersdotcom
New User
The ICP sensor is just under the alternator and towards the firewall.

Quick Reply: 6.0 won't crank