1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Courtesy Lights .. Half Work!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:54 PM
TwiztedAgony
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Courtesy Lights .. Half Work!!

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and figured it out, to give me a place to start looking.

My dome light, map lights, passenger under dash light, all WORK .. My bed (cargo) light and driver under dash light DON'T WORK!!

Normally something like this wouldn't bug me as much but EVERYTHING else works perfect!! lmfao

Fuse is good, all lights are good, everything is factory and no hack jobs anywhere!!

Any ideas where to start? Truck nfo is in my sig!!

Thx for any nfo!!
TA

Old 06-09-2010, 03:01 PM
smashclash
Elder User
you're sure the bulbs are good? you could take the good bulb out of the passenger side and put it in the drivers side just to be sure or vice versa.

only thing it could be is a wiring problem some where. you try hooking up a multimeter to see what kind of power you're getting to the plugs? i'd start there and trace the wires and see if there's anything broken.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
For the driver side underdash courtesy lamp, besides checking the bulbs, make sure it has a good ground connection. The lamp housing grounds directly to the metal of the dash to complete its ground. Take the bulb out and make sure the connections are clean where it connects to the bulb.

For the cargo lamp, by design the cargo lamp is only supposed to work with the headlamp switch because there is a one way diode in the wiring. Turn the headlamp switch **** to the left and see if it comes on, etc. It's not supposed to come on with the door jamb switch like the dome lamp. Additional info, however, the one way diode notoriously goes bad and results in the cargo lamp to light even with the door jamb switches. Nothing bad will happen because of the diode going bad and letting power go in both directions, but something to be aware of anyway.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 PM
TwiztedAgony
Freshman User
Thx for the nfo guys .. soon as it stops raining I am going to go out and check and swap lights just to be sure .. the right under dash and cargo light both have new bulbs but the ones taken out weren't blown but I did it just to test.

For the cargo lamp, by design the cargo lamp is only supposed to work with the headlamp switch because there is a one way diode in the wiring. Turn the headlamp switch **** to the left and see if it comes on, etc. It's not supposed to come on with the door jamb switch like the dome lamp. Additional info, however, the one way diode notoriously goes bad and results in the cargo lamp to light even with the door jamb switches. Nothing bad will happen because of the diode going bad and letting power go in both directions, but something to be aware of anyway.
Lmfao .. I am gonna laugh so hard if it works when I try this .. figured it would work with the door like other trucks I have had!! I feel a lil like Homer now w00t

Old 06-09-2010, 06:15 PM
TwiztedAgony
Freshman User
LMFAO .. OK dis-regard the cargo light not working .. worked great all along it seems DOH!! lol .. thx guys .. the underneath dash one the ground underneath the light ended up unbolting both sides and the drivers ground connector came off with the socket lol.

Feel stupid for asking now but glad I did I would of had a bunch of @#$% ripped apart trying to figure out why my cargo light doesn't work and it worked all a long lmfao!!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad you were able to get it fixed.For the longest time my map lights didn't work,and I couldn't ever figure out why,til I traced the wiring and found that a previous owner cut the wire to the map lights for some reason.My truck didn't come with a dome/map light from factory,so I don't know why he even cut the wire.But now the lights work great.