General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

chevy engines in ford hot rods!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 01:21 AM
cjcathey2002
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why is it that everyone decides to put chevy engines into older ford hot rods. i was looking through the classic car trader and seemed like every cool ford rod out there had an ls1 or a 350 or a 502 or 454 or whatever. you would think that the person building the rod would understand that chevy engines are cheap peices of junk. its down right frustrating. now i have a plan. i am going to build my own older ford hot rod. it may take me 30 years to complete by it will be purely ford.

Old 02-05-2003, 08:06 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this was discussed awhile ago !
chk there was a pretty good discussion on it!

Only the pure hot rodder has a pure bred power plant under the hood! Ford blue!

Rich

Old 02-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Stab
Senior User

"that chevy engines are cheap peices of junk"

Blind brand loyalty. Nice. Chevy small blocks are the best engines ever made. Ford could learn a few things from Chevy in the engine department.

Old 02-05-2003, 10:19 AM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru

...and to build on Stab, I'll dare any one of you to build any Ford motor that tops the might Mark IV roller cam 502. If you're a true gearhead, you'd respect the awesome power potential the GM motors have. The difference between GM and Ford at this point in history is that GM actually encouages people to restore and build old cars by offering awesome performance parts at very reasonable prices. Ford wants you to buy a new F-150, they don't care about my '77, and I don't even think they consider those '32 roadsters part of their heritage anymore. Henry Ford himself never wanted the restoration business to happen, because it would cut into his new car profits. I beleive in car crafting. I've got an even better one for you: Mopar Performance has a 526 Hemi stroker in their catalogue: 680 ft*lbs of torque and 630 HP, and it breathes with it's own lungs through a single carburetor. Try finding anything that strong in a Ford Motorsport catalogue. I'll save you the trouble: it doesn't exist. Don't trash something that you don't even know about. That "calvin pissing on your favorite brand" sticker attitude is childish. Long live the mighty V8! TK

Old 02-05-2003, 10:44 AM
bigin302
Junior User

It really doesn't matter what engine is in something. What what you think is the best. Now, what would be great is if the engineers that designed theses motors from Chrysler, Chevy, and Ford all got together one day and designed one filled with all the good parts of the other three. I think that'd be the one I'd ride behind.

Old 02-05-2003, 11:14 AM
f100dw
Senior User

I don't agree with calling Chevys' "cheap pieces of junk", but I do prefer to have Ford engines in my Ford rides. If I had a old hotrod that was Ford, it would have a Ford engine. There's nothing wrong with Chevys, I just prefer Ford. I drag race a Ford powered, Ford truck, and do quite well against the 98% Chevy competition. I have lots of friends that have Chevy drag cars and I help them any way I can. I love American V-8s with a big cam! Just for comparison, A 465 hp 426 hemi is about $10,400. A 502/ 502 is about $7200. Ford offers 3 460 engines; the 486 hp at $5651, the 535 at $5550, and the 600 at 8299( which according to Jon Kaase actually makes 645 hp). I could only imagine what the 526 Chrysler goes for. This means I could build a Ford hotrod and put a ford big block in it for less money and have just as much power. Why would I want to put a Chevy engine in it? Just my .02 though. Dave

Old 02-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Andysutt
Postmaster

I agree... Ford vehicles should have Ford motors.
Ive seen way to many ford trucks/cars with Chevrolet motors.
My favorite truck at the dragstrip was a Unibody ford truck. It ran soo well. I finally got to look at the motor and it was a Chevy. I lost my feelings for the truck. lol
I have nothing against Chevrolets, as I drive one on a daily basis.
Im seriously thinking about buying a Chevrolet truck and putting a FORD motor in it.
I know where a 57 2 door hardtop Chevrolet is I could get cheap, and its in good condition... people would have a stroke if they seen my 460 under that hood. Or better yet swap my 390 FE in it. lol
Just my .2 cents and my ramblings

Old 02-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Rosati
Postmaster

What did you just say?
Tell me he didn't just say that!

Old 02-05-2003, 06:17 PM
72mach_1
Senior User

Well I guess (know) I'm brand loyal...........

It does bother me when I see a chevy motor in a ford........Myself I see no need in it...........If a chevy is so great ,why use a ford body..............

I always hear cheapier.....well yeah they've been makin the same engines for HOW long ??

I always hear parts interchange........well yeah they've been makin the same engines for HOW long ??

Fords interchange......If you know about different
engine series......a small block and big block chevy wont interchange.......same principle......two totally different engines

Even though I wouldn't own a chevy.....It would be kinda funny to have a.......

57 chevy...........460,blower,dual fours
69 camaro.........428 cobra jet
66 chevelle........351 cleveland
zr-1 corvette......300 straight six

Then those chevrolet guys would know how it feels