1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Plow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wizardsr
Your question is a loaded one, and while I could spend the next 4 hours typing an essay, I'm still not going to be able to instill all the knowledge you would need, but I'll list a few points.

Best advice, work for someone else for a year to see if you like it. I know it seems easy to hang a plow on a truck, but that's an extremely small piece of the winter services puzzle. You need hands on experience to learn the ropes, there's no substitute for experience.

Plows killing trucks? Hogwash. We just parted out a 77 chev that plowed and towed bobcats nearly it's whole life. Drivers kill trucks. Yes, hanging a plow on any truck will accelerate front end wear, but not to the point that your truck is "trashed at 50k". If one of my trucks were "trashed at 50k", my driver would be looking for a new job. ChargersFanInCO: I believe that your F150 had issues. 1/2 ton trucks are too light for plowing, and should not be used to plow anything more than a small driveway, they're just not made for it.

2 of my trucks are dedicated plow trucks, they sit in storage all summer. Yes, snow can be lucrative enough in the right market. Its taken me many years to find and retain a customer base that appreciates high quality work and are willing to pay for it. Unfortunately, 75% of customers out there will go with the low price, regardless of contractor reputation. Then of course they're unhappy with the service they receive and end up playing musical contractors every year. The Walmart mentality is very promininant in the snow business, and it's extremely difficult to break customers of it.

Spreading salt kills trucks? Again, hogwash. Driving around early in the morning in the crap is what does them in. Any plow truck that spends time on the roads early in the day when road crews are dumping excessive chemicals are going to have corrosion issues. My trucks that spread salt look no different than those that don't. Those that have posted they hate salting are either lacking experience, are in the wrong market, or haven't properly sold the service. I make more on salt, with 1/2 the manpower and equipment than I do plowing. Not to mention, car washes are way cheaper than front end components. I'll take an ice event over a plowable event any day of the week!

As for your front suspension if you do decide to put a plow on it; I'm a huge proponent of air bags. Spend the money and do it right. Timbrens result in a horendous ride on a Ford. Timbrens make Chevy's ride like Fords, and Fords ride like lumber wagons. Problem is they result in premature rebound unloaded, which makes the ride very harsh and unpredictable on rough roads. I've only upgraded the springs on my 05, simply because the air bags for 05 and up Fords only add 1k lbs capacity, and it runs a larger plow than it should (8611lp with some upgrades resulting in about 1200lbs hanging off the front). The 01 and 03 trucks have front air bags with no other spring upgrades, but the air bags on those trucks are 3k bags, and they're never run all the way full, they add way more capacity than whats needed on those 2.

BigRuth, I'm going to try to be gentle... Ok, no I'm not, your advice is assinine at best. Flag-downs and door knocking is a huge liability, and $300 a snowstorm won't pay for the equipment, much less the proper insurance.

Jrfish007: You have to spend it to make it. I spend an average of $6000 per plow, per truck, purchased new. I'm running blizzard plows with are the most efficient and reliable plows I've ever used. Efficiency is the biggest thing in commercial work. You simply cannot charge more money than what the customer is will to pay, so in order to make more money, you have to be more efficient. If a guy is subbing and getting paid by the hour, a Meyers is a good investment.

smlford: You forgot the standard warning with the link. There's a lot of morons on plowsite, you have to be smart enough over there to pull the good info out from within all the immature and bad advice given there.

This is a tough business with a high failure rate. It's also not as lucrative as it should be, because so many "plowers" treat it as a "side business" and aren't charging the rates they should. Very common amongst landscapers to charge only enough to cover their expenses through the winter, they do poor quality work, and are hard to compete with because we're not on an even playing field. Alot of these idiots are charging $40-$50/hour, where the professionals are up in the $150-$200 range.
Have you tried the Timbrens on a leaf spring set up? I'm looking to run the snow plow prep springs on my 250 V10 to go along with my new Boss 9' 2" VX-T, and I was also going to add in Timbrens. What are your thoughts. Honestly, don't want to spend the money on air bags. Just not worth it in my case in the long run.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone!

As I figured there is a LOT involved in something like this. I think I'm pretty well aware of what plowing does to a truck. I expect that if I were to hang a plow on it I could see suspension and driveline component failure sooner than usual, and as such I would have to charge enough to cover depreciation as well as the increased wear and tear on the equipment.

What I'm looking for is for a small side business, preferably as a sub contractor for someone who knows the business well. I'd like to be able to learn to do the job well, pay off the equipment purchase in a couple years, and maybe make a few bucks in the process.

I have very limited plowing experience and admit that I have LOTS to learn. Anyone know where I could find someone in the area to talk to?

Again, thanks for all the replies!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Originally Posted by wizardsr
Jrfish007: You have to spend it to make it. I spend an average of $6000 per plow, per truck, purchased new. I'm running blizzard plows with are the most efficient and reliable plows I've ever used. Efficiency is the biggest thing in commercial work. You simply cannot charge more money than what the customer is will to pay, so in order to make more money, you have to be more efficient. If a guy is subbing and getting paid by the hour, a Meyers is a good investment.
Let me explain a little more. Before I got that plow I used an 18" high blade on the back of my tractor, a tractor without a cab. I never wanted to plow commercially, I just wanted to do my own drive way, my grandparents, and a couple of friends. But like the OP kind of hinted at, I didn't want to spend the $6k on a plow that I was only going to use for a few driveways. So I bought what looked like a cheap plow that could get the job done. That is all I wanted, and it's exactly what I got. I was able to pay it off and make a couple truck payments with in 1 season and I was done plowing for money. But most important I didn't have to use a tractor to plow!!

That being said, I did have 1 "client" who would called me at 3am to plow, I did it once and told her to find some else. After that I had no desire to get into that industry, leave it to the pros.

Besides, my new moto is: "Why do I need to plow, my truck makes it through the snow?"

Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Grumpy Moose
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Up here, seems like every block has at least one house with an old, junky snow plow sitting in the driveway. So it almost becomes natural to associate snow plowing with junk trucks. However, its probably more of a cause and effect thing at work. Most of these are part time, second or third vehicle, residential plows - and they were purchased specifically for that purpose. The owners intentionally went out and found the junkiest, cheapest truck available, and after hanging a plow on the front continue to treat the truck that way. Any truck treated like a beater will end up looking like one - plow or not!

I just purchased a decent (not junk) used F250 for a plow, but I intend to take care of it. My wife jokes that I have the nicest looking plow truck in Anchorage! There is some truth to that because all of the neighbor's plow trucks look like rust buckets. But this is intentional due to neglect, not an inherent result of plowing.

Pros tend to treat their equipment differently. Up here, a good, used snow plow fetches a high premium.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:45 AM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
Have you tried the Timbrens on a leaf spring set up? I'm looking to run the snow plow prep springs on my 250 V10 to go along with my new Boss 9' 2" VX-T, and I was also going to add in Timbrens. What are your thoughts. Honestly, don't want to spend the money on air bags. Just not worth it in my case in the long run.
Yes, I've had Timbrens on multiple vehicles, Fords and Chevy's. I knew they didn't help with ride quality on my 2000 F350, but I didn't realize how bad it really was until I took them off when I was selling the truck. Reality is Timbrens and Air bags are the same price, it's the compressor for the air bags that makes them more costly. You can install air bags with a manual fill valve for the same price as Timbrens. For what they are, I think Timbrens are overpriced, they're really nothing more than a glorified bump stop.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 AM
warriorm
Freshman User
"Myers I don't like, good for a guy who just does his house, they flip the mold board forward when they catch and that makes for poor ability to stack."

Depends on the Meyers mold board. The Diamond Series has an edge trip. I've used a Meyers for the past 2 New Hampshire winters. I don't do it as a business, just my 20,000 sq ft driveway/parking area and a few neighbors. I only have the plow on when plowing. The EZ Mount makes on and off a 5 minute proposition.

Make sure you counterweight the back of the truck, behind the rear axle, with the same amount of weight as your blade/hydraulics. Helps ensure proper brake performance. I put 400lbs of tube sand in the bed when I plow. Yes, it's work to load and unload, but I count that as a gym visit.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Originally Posted by Grumpy Moose
Up here, seems like every block has at least one house with an old, junky snow plow sitting in the driveway. So it almost becomes natural to associate snow plowing with junk trucks. However, its probably more of a cause and effect thing at work. Most of these are part time, second or third vehicle, residential plows - and they were purchased specifically for that purpose. The owners intentionally went out and found the junkiest, cheapest truck available, and after hanging a plow on the front continue to treat the truck that way. Any truck treated like a beater will end up looking like one - plow or not!

I just purchased a decent (not junk) used F250 for a plow, but I intend to take care of it. My wife jokes that I have the nicest looking plow truck in Anchorage! There is some truth to that because all of the neighbor's plow trucks look like rust buckets. But this is intentional due to neglect, not an inherent result of plowing.

Pros tend to treat their equipment differently. Up here, a good, used snow plow fetches a high premium.
I had one of those on the farm that was used to plow. It makes since when you think that you will be hauling gravel, hay, wood, and who knows what else in it. You don't really want a nice new truck for that, so buy a cheap one for that and keep the good one for towing. When the good one becomes old in 10 years, time for a new new truck