Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2010, 11:41 AM
New User

ken.j is starting off with a positive reputation.
Back up camera F350

Hi,

I have a 2010 F350 Lariat fitted with factory nav/tailgate back up camera and just purchased a truck camper. I plan to remove the tailgate and fit the camper each year May throught Otober and want to install a back up camera at the rear of the camper which plugs into the factory wiring.
I believe that the factory camera is expensive but that the camera itself produces the image whith the "sights" i.e. yellow/green/red lines which I like and providing the standard cable length works may go for.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ken
Old 06-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Hangin 10 bra

scottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud ofscottzj has much to be proud of
Well believe it or not, I used one of those cheapo china license plate frame mount cameras. Its perfect for when you back up to mount a trailer. That was the only reason I wanted it for, not to view everything. So the license plate, I thought was the perfect place to put it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Scott TN Chapter member and Official #21 Slackmaster!
2004 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L Diesel King Ranch FX4. Moonroof, heated seats, slider back window, 2005-07 Modified grill, headlights, blacked out windows, tinted cab lights, tinted mirror blinkers, wig wag, EGR Delete, cb with exterior speaker mount, 7" dvd/GPS radio.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 PM
New User

Steve P. is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would like to see what you are looking at while backing up to a trailer?????
Old 08-05-2014, 12:44 AM
Senior User

Redrkt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ken Swan Redrkt Redrkt
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzj View Post
Well believe it or not, I used one of those cheapo china license plate frame mount cameras. Its perfect for when you back up to mount a trailer. That was the only reason I wanted it for, not to view everything. So the license plate, I thought was the perfect place to put it.

Have this same camera on my dads Silverado and have the redline set in the middle of the top of the ball, when hooking up I line the top of the hitch on the redline and it is in perfect position, and it only cost me $13 for the camera and another $17 for the 7" monitor that I mounted on the dash. And, I can see everything I need to see behind me when the trailer is not hooked up. I want an '08 or newer tailgate for my '06 so that I can get the factory camera set up but may get another monitor instead of a BT and camera ready touchscreen.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:18 AM
New User

I see where you mounted the camera. I'm looking for pics of your monitor while you are backing up to a trailer and into a parking spot.. Many businesses sell these and lots of other cams, but no one seems to have a video of what you will see with their cam and monitor....
Old 08-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Senior User

NorEasterMA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.NorEasterMA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've got a cheapo backup cam on my license plate that's hooked up to my 7" in dash head unit. I will post some pictures and a video in a few minutes as soon as I go take them.

Update: So here are a few pictures of both how my camera is installed, and a photo of what I see on the screen with the camera on. I'm not backing up to a trailer or into a parking spot, just into my driveway. You will still get the idea though and have a concept of what the camera shows and the quality.

Massachusetts Chapter Member
Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 PM
New User

That is great!!! Thanks for the info and the video. I didn't know they also have the warning beeps as well!! I want one for backing into parking spaces and for hooking up my trailers... That HAS to be 1000 times easier with the camera..
Old 08-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Senior User

NorEasterMA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.NorEasterMA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
That is great!!! Thanks for the info and the video. I didn't know they also have the warning beeps as well!! I want one for backing into parking spaces and for hooking up my trailers... That HAS to be 1000 times easier with the camera..
Well the warning beeps are actually a Ford feature, I've got four OEM sensors in my bumper that beep as I near an object while in reverse, so unfortunately you won't get those with just a camera. But for backing into a trailer it's great. Parking spaces 99% of it is using my side mirrors, but the camera is perfect for getting my hitch within an inch of the car behind me. Utilizing every inch of a parking space makes parking a long truck a lot less aggravating for everyone. The camera is a definite recommendation in my book. Plus it's fun to look at the dummies picking their nose in their little compact cars behind you in traffic!

Massachusetts Chapter Member
Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Senior User

BossGasser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BossGasser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"Plus it's fun to look at the dummies picking their nose in their little compact cars behind you in traffic!"

Nice!! LOL
Old 08-06-2014, 09:07 AM
New User

I had the chance to drive a brand new Ram truck a few months ago. The backup system was awesome. I'm thinking Ford has the same or better. Now if only I could afford a NEW truck!! Until then, I guess I will be hunting for a new stereo head unit and a back up cam...

Thanks for all the info...
Old 08-06-2014, 09:07 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2008, 2010, back, backup, camera, campers, diesel, f350, factory, fit, ford, rear, superduty, tailgate, truck