1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Oh great day on the road..... problem.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 PM
slowcruser
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire choice...

Well you maybe right... I've always liked wide tires all the way around and again I made this choice several years ago, now that darn reality is hitting me in the face....

I'll get to an alignment shop this week and get it straight. Then I'll save my pennies pick up new set of front tire, soon, and smoke these.

Thanks Again
Slowcruser

Old 06-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
math, paper and blankets....

You're all too funny...lol, BUT very informative. Keep it up, these are very good lessons for us B ginners. The places to find quality advice based on the real world, hands on stuff from people who binder dun dat are rare. I look forward to coming in here.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM
slowcruser
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A side question....

As stated before I left the rear engine mount cross brace in place. I thought, at the time, that it would at to the cab supports. But now its hangings so low, I almost want to cut it in half and box it in.

Question: With the new front suspension cross member do I even need the old rear engine cross member?

( appointment with my first alighment on friday , also found tire pressure to be 12lb and upper tubular A-Arms at the end of its slot, I forgot to torque to spec.)

Thanks for your input.
Slowcruser

Old 06-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Uh, 12psi is deffinitely too low and will lower your ride height. And not having your A-arms in spec could cause all kinds of issues.

The #1 suggestion I'd make is to determine what most needs to be done: Springs, Tires, Spindles. If you're running low on room in your wheel wells then taller tires might cause clearance issues, particularly once they get warm. Springs will bring you up, and are pretty easy to change, but stiffer springs mean a stiffer ride. That doesn't mean a bad ride, just a stiffer ride, it'd be up to you to know if you could live with that. The real kicker--that is the most important question is your geometry. I'll quote Wayne: "look at your lower control arms. Are they sitting level, or parallel with the ground? Or do they point upward towards the wheels from the frame? If they're level, or near level, you need stock spindles. If they're pointing upward, you need stiffer springs. This is important to have correct front end geometry"

Check craig's list and e-pay for stock spindles on the cheap...you can probably sell your drop spindles or trade them for a sweet deal.

So far as wide tires go...I run wider tires on my truck and have zero problems with dart and wander. Wider tires have better contact surfaces, creating better traction overall (under normail driving conditions, deep snow and water give a reverse effect). I've had guys with narrow wheels and tires comment on how well my truck handles versus theirs. BUT, I don't do much driving on bad roads.

All that said, I have stock steering. With power R&P you shouldn't have any dart or wander if your system is properly setup.

Search this Thread