Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

need 550 hp

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:26 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not a high HP guru but I do have 2 cents.
I agree with Gene. That kind of power is only good for a few seconds.
Why not get some gears to go with those big tires, then shoot for a more reasonable power level, like say 400+ and see how you like it. That's doable on the $5k price cap.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:42 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PwerStroke99
u WILL NOT get 550+ on $5k like Tyler said. For one, if you want 550 plus, u still need a transmission behind it, a stocker will not hold.

Joe, u say you are north of 500, do you have a dyno sheet to prove this? Just curious, normally people have proof when claims are made, Maybe i missed the dyno sheet. Tho i do hear Butt dynos are pretty accurate, and they do save a person about $60!
I have Street ET times to go off of, that put me right there... I have also dyno'ed many more times then most and know what the latest mods have done.

And Tyler, I never said that you can build 550hp for 5k, what I did say is there is no need for a built bottom end at that level, or block fill, or 3-4 trys at live tuning...

Old 06-10-2010, 08:22 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
I have Street ET times to go off of, that put me right there... I have also dyno'ed many more times then most and know what the latest mods have done.

And Tyler, I never said that you can build 550hp for 5k, what I did say is there is no need for a built bottom end at that level, or block fill, or 3-4 trys at live tuning...
LOL, now thats funny right there. So your Butt Dyno must be pretty damn accurate. Didnt know Butt Dynos were legit. Thanks for clarifying your bogus HP claims Joe!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Rockrunner86
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgolan7
hey guy trying to find out what i need to do to get 550 to 600 hp out of this old 7.3 any ideas
i have a built trans ts chip gauges, st pipe all the way out and thats it i just lifted it and got the rims and tires now ready to make it bad a** my young lady said if i spend more then 5000 she is gonna kill me. i do play in the mud but still take long trips in it sometimes i know i have a long way to go

The point of this whole thread!!

Originally Posted by Izzy351
True, but I have not much more than that in mine, and I'm at 450. 450 is pretty doable on roughly that budget. Maybe a bit more, depending on turbo/injector combo. My 235/100s with the van turbo are definitely too much fuel/not enough air, but the boost/back pressure ratio is right at 1:1. I do need to get some more tuning tweaks to get them dialed in, but overall, I'm okay with the combo for what it is. Just a little smoky & choppy on the idle right now....
Sure 400 - 450 is reasonable with that budget. Probably not the way it should be done, but none the less you can get to that power level.

The Op asked is he could get 550 - 600 hp with $5000. Not going to happen. Maybe a few trips down the strip with a few bottles of N2 and some huge injectors, but we all know that isn't what he is asking about. Seems he would like 550 - 600 everyday, and thats not going to happen on that budget..

Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
LOL, now thats funny right there. So your Butt Dyno must be pretty damn accurate. Didnt know Butt Dynos were legit. Thanks for clarifying your bogus HP claims Joe!

LOL... Whatever... You have never used speedtracker software? Never used your GPS?

Just how many times have you dyno'ed???

Old 06-10-2010, 09:01 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Rockrunner86
The point of this whole thread!!

Sure 400 - 450 is reasonable with that budget. Probably not the way it should be done, but none the less you can get to that power level.

The Op asked is he could get 550 - 600 hp with $5000. Not going to happen. Maybe a few trips down the strip with a few bottles of N2 and some huge injectors, but we all know that isn't what he is asking about. Seems he would like 550 - 600 everyday, and thats not going to happen on that budget..
You are correct, that is what the OP asked about... But then all the... you know... came in and said "you have to have a built bottom end for that kind of hp" which is just not true...

Old 06-10-2010, 09:22 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You are correct, that is what the OP asked about... But then all the... you know... came in and said "you have to have a built bottom end for that kind of hp" which is just not true...
Re-read the thread Joe. The first mention of a bottom end came from someone saying you DON'T need it for 550.

and Tyler, I never said that you can build 550hp for 5k,
Re-read the thread Joe. Not trying to pick a fight, but you said

550hp...

250/100 hybrids... $2200
Modded H2e or 38R/1.15... $2000-$2500
Studs... $450
Fuel system... $300-$600
GOOD tuning to control it... $400-$600
So $2,200 + $2,000 + $450 + $300 + $400 = $5,350.00

That sounds pretty darn close to 5k to me.

Again, not trying to pick on you, but let's share experiences and knowledge to help those trying to learn. I know certain people don't like certain tunes and have some pretty poor opinions of the tuner, but would you bolt in a set of hybrids from Pensacola diesel with good tunes and expect to have no issues? There's lots of info we should be trying to share without focusing all our energy on tooons.

Instead of focusing on the negative stuff or disagreeing with others (although there really hasn't been that much disagreement so far), let's focus on the stuff we've seen work and suggestions on how to get from point a to point b.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 PM
dgolan7
Freshman User
ok

Ok I will have to spend a little more but what do I need to buy to get 500 hp and how much will it be the trans is done already. I just don't know much about the 7.3 I know hpop and turbo hyb inject. fuel pump tune I'm gonna go with the ts 6 pos and a few good tunes what else. I have 5 grand now to spend how much more do I need to come up with. Keep in mind I want to make sure it will live .please only people that know respond not what u think just people that know thanks a lot.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Rockrunner86
Senior User
Ok I will have to spend a little more but what do I need to buy to get 500 hp and how much will it be the trans is done already. I just don't know much about the 7.3 I know hpop and turbo hyb inject. fuel pump tune I'm gonna go with the ts 6 pos and a few good tunes what else. I have 5 grand now to spend how much more do I need to come up with. Keep in mind I want to make sure it will live .please only people that know respond not what u think just people that know thanks a lot.

I think you could do it with less but 250cc of fuel would certainly get you there, 100% nozzles would make it but 200%'s would be a better choice. You going to need a turbo bigger than a drop in (GT42R, Modded H2E, S-300 or S-400) to supply the amount of air needed assuming you want to run a single turbo. Headstuds, valve springs, fuel system, and probably have to have big oil of some sort.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:07 AM
TerminatorEng.
Senior User
Originally Posted by SuperDoodie
I have a stock bottom end on my truck. My last dyno was 563 HP.. As soon as I heal up from my surgery, I am planning on going with a 300/200 injector which should get me in the 650 range.
Your INSANE!

Stock rods = Junk. If you want the engine to survive, spend the extra coin on rods. But what do I know.....................

On Edit: this is not directed at Greg, but it's directed to anyone wanting 550+ and living happy.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by TerminatorEng.
Your INSANE!

Stock rods = Junk. If you want the engine to survive, spend the extra coin on rods. But what do I know.....................

On Edit: this is not directed at Greg, but it's directed to anyone wanting 550+ and living happy.
At least Greg would put it on a dyno to find out, because his butt dyno isnt too accurate, it isnt CSI approved!

Old 06-11-2010, 12:22 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TerminatorEng.
Your INSANE!

Yawn... Way too many trucks out there running just fine at 550-650 with stock rods. Your one of a select group that THINKS you need rods for 550...

At least Greg would put it on a dyno to find out, because his butt dyno isnt too accurate, it is CSI approved!
How may times have I dynoed my truck Ken? You seem to know more then I do... 5...7...10...15...

Now how many pulls have I made with my trucks on the dyno? Again, you seem to imply you know more then me???

10...15...20???

When I have time and am near a dyno again, just for you I will put it on the econo setting and beat your best number... Hows that sound?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:30 AM
TerminatorEng.
Senior User
Yawn... Way too many trucks out there running just fine at 550-650 with stock rods. Your one of a select group that THINKS you need rods for 550...
That depends on your definition of "way too many". And how long they are living. Some with those claims have already moved on to built engines, while others disappeared all together, or got real quiet.

I'll stick to what I know. If your serious about sticking with the ol 7.3, then build it right. If you can't afford to do it right, leave it stock.

On Edit: If Greg see's this, I still say your insane, NO offense buddy! Throw some Crowers in before you add anymore fuel.

Last edited by TerminatorEng.; 06-11-2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Greg!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:30 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master

How may times have I dynoed my truck Ken? You seem to know more then I do... 5...7...10...15...

Now how many pulls have I made with my trucks on the dyno? Again, you seem to imply you know more then me???

10...15...20???

When I have time and am near a dyno again, just for you I will put it on the econo setting and beat your best number... Hows that sound?
JOe, i have no clue how many times u have dynoed, but seems to me u havent dynoed with your current setup, or if u have, u should post the slip. And to tell ya the truth, i couldnt care less if u beat me on a dyno. But if u are going to make claims of the HP u seem to think u have, post the slip, thats all im askin. haha. And also, im not claiming to know more than u, but with your injectors and your modded pump and such, u should make more HP than me.

By the way, im done mucking up the OPs thread, back to our regularly scheduled program

Old 06-11-2010, 03:57 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
out of 3 real builders I have talked to in the past month.. none of them will build a 550-600 HP motor without a good set of Rod's..that's $2400 more on top of the cost of a build.. if your going to do a true dyno'd 550-600 HP on stock bottom ...get your self a new block and start building now..put some 250cc sticks and a turbo on the current motor and see how long she last..when she does let go. put the sticks and turbo on the new build with the right rod's.....im doing a build this winter...if i can swing the rod's im shooting for 600 HP with a set of 250's...if not..ill have to be happy with 500 on a stock bottom with a set of 238's...

Quick Reply: need 550 hp