1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:35 AM
roverjoe
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Cruise Control Stopped Working

2002 F250 5.4

Wondering if you guys can help me diagnose this cruise problem. I do quite a bit of highway miles and I really like to use the cruise!

Just stopped working all of the sudden. At first when I hit set accel the dash light would flash but cruise would not activate. Now I get nothing!

thanks!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:37 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise control deactivation switch.

Check to see if you are eligible for a free switch replacement under the recall.

If not, if you have the redesigned one, it has routinely failed.

Replacing it require a bleed of the brake system --- so you might as well flush your brakes clean at same time.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:40 AM
roverjoe
Junior User
Great thanks! What's the easiest way to check if it's under recall? I got the VIN right here.....

Old 05-30-2010, 11:54 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Go to ford site, it should pull it up.. if not dealer can.. you are going to be visiting them to get the switch anyways...

Old 05-30-2010, 02:20 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
There is a diagnostic procedure to it. I think it was hold down the cruise on, turn the key on, then press the buttons in order. The cruise control light will flash to count off the error number.

My 02 had a severely leaking brake pressure sensor. The "recall" fuse holder was soaked down, so that might be something to look at before buying parts or finding the diag proc.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:48 PM
roverjoe
Junior User
Thanks! I'll research the diagnostic procedure and see what I come up with!

Joe

Old 06-03-2010, 10:35 PM
roverjoe
Junior User
Just following up on this. I checked the sensor and it doesn't appear to be leaking. At least not that I can tell. I also ran my VIN through ford.com and no recalls came up for my number. Should I just call the dealer directly? Any advice on how where to find the correct procedure for the CC test?

Man I miss my cruise....

Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Don't bother to see if it is leaking!

REPLACE IT. It is around $20.

The redesigned sensor also failed --- I replaced mine with exactly the same symptoms.

No sign of leaks. Just cruise control not work.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:09 PM
roverjoe
Junior User
Originally Posted by gearloose1
Don't bother to see if it is leaking!

REPLACE IT. It is around $20.

The redesigned sensor also failed --- I replaced mine with exactly the same symptoms.

No sign of leaks. Just cruise control not work.

Gotcha!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:39 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
There are several theories as to how to do the job.

I believe you should replace it and bleed the entire brake system clear.

That way, you get a brake fluid change included.

There are some people who claimed this is unnecessary --- I disagree.

=====================

Below is what I believe to be the Ford procedure that do not involve bleeding the brakes:

SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH (SCDS) REPLACEMENT
NOTE :The brake pedal must not be depressed during the removal and replacement of the SCDS.
1. Check the brake fluid level at the master cylinder and, if necessary, fill to maximum fluid level.
NOTICE O NOT apply fluid to the electrical connector or damage to the connector may occur. NOTICE : The 1994 Capri Brake Repair Kit contains a brass sealing washer. Install the brass washer onto the SCDS before installing it on the vehicle.

View Full Image

2. Add a few drops of Motorcraft High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid, PM1-1 or PM-1-C (US), CPM-1-C (Canada), to the fluid port at the threaded end of the new SCDS. See Figure 5.
NOTICE o not allow any foreign material to enter the master cylinder port once the SCDS is removed. NOTE :Call the Special Service Support Center for assistance if brake fluid does not flow from the SCDS fitting when the SCDS is removed. NOTE :If the new SCDS is not installed immediately after the original switch is removed, the master cylinder brake fluid could drop below the minimum level and air could enter the brake system. If this should occur, air must be bled from the brake system at all 4 wheels. In this situation, the labor to bleed the brake system will not be covered under this program.
3. Remove the SCDS.
4. With the brake fluid reservoir cap removed, observe for brake fluid dripping/draining from the SCDS fitting. As soon as brake fluid begins to bleed from the fitting, install the new SCDS.
5. Tighten the new SCDS as follows:
^ 18 Nm (159 lb-in) - all vehicles except 1994 Capri.
^ 13 Nm (115 lb-in) - 1994 Capri.
6. Check the brake fluid level at the master cylinder, fill to maximum fluid level and install the brake fluid reservoir cap.

View Full Image

7. Disconnect the speed control servo and inspect the vehicle harness connector for heat damage. See Figure 6.
^ If no heat damage is found at the speed control servo connector (even if there is presence of brake fluid in the connector), proceed to the next step.
^ If the speed control servo connector is heat damaged, call the Special Service Support Center for further instructions.
8. With the speed control servo disconnected, use shop air only to blow the SCDS harness electrical connector and the servo connector dry of any trace of brake fluid. Do not use any type of solvent to clean the connectors.
9. Cut approximately 3 mm (1/8 in) off the grease tube applicator tip.

View Full Image

10. Before installing the jumper harness, fill the vehicle harness end of the jumper (male pin connector end) with Motorcraft Electrical Grease II XG-15-A. See Figure 7.
11. Install the adapter jumper harness by connecting it to both the SCDS and the vehicle harness. Using the provided tie strap, secure the jumper harness to a nearby component such as the speed control cable or another wire harness.
NOTICE :Be sure to apply and adequate amount of grease to the vehicle harness connector only. DO NOT apply the grease directly to the connector of the servo module.

View Full Image

12. Apply a 5 mm (3/16 in) high bead of Motorcraft Electrical Grease II XG-15-A across the entire width and length of the servo vehicle harness connector. See Figure 8.