Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2010, 11:16 AM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

1lrover1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
AC and P0354 Ignition Coil D Primary circuit fault

Sorry this is long but it could save you hundreds. I just thought I would post this as I'm sure it has happened before and will certainly happen again (just not to me). Hopefully, it will save someone time, money and aggravation. The issue here is something that leaves me questioning Ford engineering. Ok, so here we go. I have a 2008 Expedition EL and this past Friday while on the interstate I noticed my air not as cold as usual, at the same time I noticed a hesitation / stumble at speed. Upon exiting, at idle, the car had a bad miss and the AC now was nothing, just blowing hot air. It wasn't until I made it home (which was only a few miles away that the amber engine light came on. Ok, off to Advance and I will have the code read to figure out what was going on. The guy at advance relayed the code to me (P054 Ignition Coil D Primary circuit failure) and promptly informed me that the likely culprit was the coil pac as they are notorious for going bad on the 5.4. Although he did not know which cylinder I later deternined D was #4 on the pass. side closest to the firewall. Great, I thought $45 and some struggling against the firewall and I will have fixed one of the two isssues.

So, what happened to my AC? Maybe I have a leak and just need to recharge it I thought, but after looking into it, the compressor would not engage. Perfect, $300 plus to fix that one.

Oh well, back to the coil pac, in 15 minutes the new one was installed the truck fired up and..yep, still a miss. So, maybe the plug is bad and not firing. This in itself is a crime, the plug could not be found locally. Seems that Ford had an issue with plugs and mid 08 changed to a different design, of course no one had it except the local Ford dealer. Yep, $20 later and I had ONE plug (so between coil pacs and plugs this thing would be a $500+ tune up). Anyway, back to the truck to swap out the plug..you guessed it, fired it up and still a miss. So what is going on? Only then, after spending $70 and many choice words the problem revealed itself. When unhooking the connection to the coil pac for the third time, the BS tape used to guard the wires peeled back and there it was bald copper with a millimeter of just plain yellow insulation. How did this happen? A quick look at the AC lines and the puzzle was over. The wires in all their natural glory laid up next to the AC line, which got hot and melted the insulation and wire, killing #4 and grounding the compressor all at once. Two seemingly different problems yet, one cause. After struggling to reconnect the broken yellow lead and placing a 1 cent cable tie to keep it off of the AC line all is well. Cold AC and no miss. Now I can only wonder how much my local dealer would have taken me for. So, if your AC quits and you get a miss on #4, maybe you can save the $70 I spent and come away with only a modest dent in your electrical tape roll and a 1 cent cable tie!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Postmaster
Garage is empty, add now

berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow, nice solve! Thanks for posting this. Can you post a pic of the items and their locations? Thanks again.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:03 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

jjclan6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
THANKS

Just had to post a huge thank you! My 2008 just did the same thing and sure enough, it was the same wire. We checked it first after reading your post. You definately saved us alot of time and money. Just had to say thanks a bunch!

Mulford family
Old 10-26-2010, 04:44 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

machinist360 is starting off with a positive reputation.
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5880/acrub2.jpg

Thanks from My family too. We have a 07 Expedition w/ the same problem. The link above should take you to a picture of mine. I do have to disagree however w/ the cause of the A/C not working. I pulled my wires loose and started the vehicle still had the miss and no A/C. I then reconnected the rubbed in half wire and restarted. Everything worked again. My theory is that when the engine gets the dead miss from the wire being severed the computer cuts out the accessory that requires alot of horsepower in order to maintain as much as it can. Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2011, 09:10 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

dodis is starting off with a positive reputation.
After all my extensive searches, this was the fix!!!

Many thanks for posting your find. If I had read this before I replaced the same parts as you, could have saved $100.

And I guess being out of town when it quit working didn't help either. The green wire was basically gone where it had worn through on the AC hose.

Click the image to open in full size.Mike's P0354 sm | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks again!
Mike
Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Bryan03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That was it!!

Thank you for posting this thread!! Exact same problems on my 2007 Expedition. Yellow wire was completely burned through. I spliced in another yellow wire I had laying around and wrapped it up good with electrical tape. Taped the lead to the harness so it would not happen again.

Why on earth do these problems always occur in the back of the engine compartment with tight access
Old 10-14-2011, 03:56 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

TDIDog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello Ford people.

I have a friend that has a 2004 F250 with this code and no AC. I looked at the wire from #4 coilpack to the harness and it doesn't look like the ones in the pictures. So sad.

Am I chasing ghosties with this and looking at the wrong vehicle?

Thanks for any help.

Doggie
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

9mmbullitt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow, thanks 1lrover1 for the post. I know you posted it two years ago, but it was my situation exactly! I replaced the ignition coil because the code said #4 was bad, then when that didn't fix it I started to switch coils to see if the coil I bought was bad. That wasn't it. Returned the coil and searched the internet for a second time. That is when I found this post. Went to the truck ('07 Expedition) and took a close look at the wires coming off of #4 and sure enough that was it. It was a bear to try and work in the tight space. I got two butt connectors and cut the two wires, reconnected with the butt connectors and started the truck to test my fix. Sure enough, no misfire and the AC was working again. Shut it off, taped the crap out of it with electrical tape and made sure it was it wasn't touching the AC line. Good to go. Dealer suggested the plugs needed to be changed and wanted $600. I spent $3 on the connectors! Dealer probably would have found the bad wire and not told me and still would have changed the plugs to make the money...not this time! Thanks again for the post.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Postmaster
Garage is empty, add now

Nice find. If your truck has brown boots change the plugs yourself. Use specified Moto plugs. Took me about two hours and that is going slow. It's not hard at all.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Postmaster
Garage is empty, add now

I would re-wire the damaged portion, tape well then cover the area that makes contact with half of a rubber hose and zip tie that in place so the wear will be on the rubber hose-not the wires.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:41 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

billybobgun is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks alot mind was the green wire but you help me alot
Old 08-12-2012, 12:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator

Tags
150, 54, 54l, 97, 98, ac, circuit, coil, expedition, fault, ford, ignition, p0354, primary, svt