Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Postmaster

wreckinball is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Reverse lights

Fellas,
Can someone give me a wiring diagram as to the rear lighting. My reverse lights dont come on. Looking at the thread with the favorite mod of bright reverse lights i think i might do that as well while i am under there. But for now i would like to get them working. Everything else works, just not the reverse lights. Thanks!
1989(94) F350 ExCab SB 7.3l IDI, C6, 4.10's, D60 front, ATS Turbo with 3" DP and upgraded housing pushin 10psi, 4" straight exhaust and 4" polished magnaflow straight through muffler, 5" stainless magnaflow tip, Full triple pillar, smokin early strokes and eatin rice. 1994 F150 body swap; I own the original FRANKEN-TRUCK(thanks Festus)
Old 06-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Post Fiend

Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
Can`t help with a diagram but what you should have is a combined neutral safety switch and rev light switch mounted on the outside of the C6. With the running lights on you should have 12v at one of the wires at that switch. Then with the shifter in Reverse you should have 12v going out of the switch to the rev lights.
That`s as I understand it (hate electrics).
If you have 12v to the switch but not out the switch may be bad.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Posting Guru

greywynd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Doesn't matter if the running lights are on or not, the reverse lights are on if you shift into reverse. I know on a couple of mine the switch needs some adjusting, you have to wiggle the shifter a bit to get them turned on sometimes.
1991 F250 4x4, E40D, N/A 7.3 Diesel, 'the runaway'
1989 F350 2wd C6 N/A 7.3 Diesel Dually w/flatbed dump, retired with a broken frame rail.
1988 F250 4x4 C6 N/A 6.9 Diesel, parts truck
Old 06-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Senior User

Cruickie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Doesn't seem want me to add the picture to the thread for some reason but there is a picture for your trucks (1989 Ford Truck F 350 4WD Pickup V8-7.3L DSL) back-up light diagram at the following link (in my album):

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Cruickie's Album: 1986 F250 XLT Lariat - Picture

Hope that helps!
1972 Land Rover Series 3, 88
1980 Kawasaki KZ750H1 LTD
2011 Honda Fit (The practical (and reliable) option)
Old 06-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Postmaster

wreckinball is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So what would be the best way to determine if the nss is bad? Can i just poke through the wires and see if i get power when it is in reverse? Any idea on the color of the wire that goes to the reverse lights from the nss? I know the colors are good so no franken truck issues there! lol
1989(94) F350 ExCab SB 7.3l IDI, C6, 4.10's, D60 front, ATS Turbo with 3" DP and upgraded housing pushin 10psi, 4" straight exhaust and 4" polished magnaflow straight through muffler, 5" stainless magnaflow tip, Full triple pillar, smokin early strokes and eatin rice. 1994 F150 body swap; I own the original FRANKEN-TRUCK(thanks Festus)
Old 06-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Postmaster

RCrawler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RCrawler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckinball View Post
So what would be the best way to determine if the nss is bad? Can i just poke through the wires and see if i get power when it is in reverse? Any idea on the color of the wire that goes to the reverse lights from the nss? I know the colors are good so no franken truck issues there! lol
At the switch:
Should have key on 12V at the Purple/Orange wire

12V through switch when in reverse at the Black/Pink which feeds the back up lights.

Jason
Honey badger don't care...
Old 06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Post Fiend

David85 has a good reputation on FTE.David85 has a good reputation on FTE.
There are quick connects close to the NSS. First isolate which wires are for the NSS and which are for the reverse lights - 2 for each.

Then you can do a simple continuity test between the exposed connection tabs to see if the switch is working. Probing the wires will also work but considering the amount of sand and salt those wires get exposed to in the winter, I would avoid doing that.

1986 F150 Ex cab Lariat rollercam 5.0L on LPG AOD trans 3.55 gears 390 000Ks
Old 06-01-2010, 02:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
1989, 1994, 73, backup, c6, diagram, dont, f150, ford, idi, light, lights, reverse, switch, wire, wiring, work