Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

I think this is my favorite mod so far

Old 06-01-2010, 12:15 AM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as long as they are not wired to automatically come on, and they are not facing forward, they are. if they are facing forward they are still legal, just have to have covers over them. like the KC covers.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:01 AM
rhkcommander959
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah gotcha, interesting. Looks like my manual reverse light switch might come in handy then These are just fog lights or what?

Old 06-01-2010, 09:29 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
I too have the cyclops light, though I used a rectangular flood beam. I tapped mine into the cargo light wire so I just turn my headlight switch to light up the rear. The wire is accessible at the driver-side rear corner of the cab.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 AM
greywynd
Posting Guru
As was mentioned, it could be snowbanks in either direction at times, or in my case when I get plowing with a truck one often will be backing into snow piles etc.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oreocreaming
they are. if they are facing forward they are still legal, just have to have covers over them. like the KC covers.
I think that is just a California thing. But, I've been running those same spot lights as driving lights for several years on trucks into Ca. The only time I've heard of a problem is when somebody didn't turn off high beams. As the car went by, the driver flashed the rear facing load lights (one spot was aimed a bit into the other lane). As it turned out, the passing car was a CHP...

I have my work lights wired to back up switch and on a toggle to use with the key off. The spot lights will be on a separate circuit.
Jason

Old 06-01-2010, 10:42 AM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
ya, california for sure. i got about a dozen "fix it" tickets when i had my chevy.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RCrawler
I have my work lights wired to back up switch and on a toggle to use with the key off. The spot lights will be on a separate circuit.
That's how mine are - rear and ditch floods are on the backup switch with a manual battery-power toggle too so I can use them as work lights. Then the four driving lights on the bottom of the front bumper are also on a toggle, and I have a floorboard-mount "panic" switch to fire those ights and also the four larger 100W offroad lights on top of the bumper - essentially I got over 800W of forward lighting, but I usually use only about 1/4 of that...

Old 06-01-2010, 03:47 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Originally Posted by peruses
up where I used to live the usual sunday morning piles where the plows would come trough at 3 am sunday would scrape the bottom of our pickup frames, and in the car you checked for traffic then punched it real hard and hoped you didn't end up stuck in the snowbank acrossed the street, or you just got up another half hour early to shovel the drive

I miss home
yea it usually isnt THAT bad around here. At least the last couple years it hasnt been. Whereabouts was your hometown?

Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 PM
peruses
Elder User
up north of cadilac
lil town called Manton that the 131 freeway just cut outa the trafic flow north from grand rapids a few years after I left home

it didn't help that they usualy let it pile up till sunday night so they could make triple time working nightshift on sunday

Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
I found the same problem with back up lights, too dim to do a damn thing. Also didn't want to bust them backing into stuff (snow banks or while off roading). Also wanted extra light when loading or unloading stuff at night, or setting up a tent while camping. Ended up mounting them on the side of the bed cap on my ranger. Was the perfect place for them, and I used a switch I stuck on the dash.
My F250 came with a cap that had a two pipes mounted for ladder racks, and the ends were the perfect place, so I again mounted the lights up high. Not only does that keep it out of the way of damages, also illuminates the whole area better. This time around, I also ran them off a relay in the cap with a heavy gauge power wire coming in. Much brighter!!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
John you should of wired up that light to come on with some switch in the cab, that way at night when some idiots flash their highbeams in your mirrors, you can blind them to hell!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
i have the lights settin in the garage judt havent had time to put them on yet, john's got the right idea! and oreo have you started your build yet? i know you said you wanted to start as soon as you cod cause of your cavitation problem

Old 06-01-2010, 07:26 PM
peruses
Elder User
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
John you should of wired up that light to come on with some switch in the cab, that way at night when some idiots flash their highbeams in your mirrors, you can blind them to hell!
ya get tickets that way id the po po is watchin

Old 06-01-2010, 07:27 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
It did cross my mind lol. Could be used to help at night when hooking up a trailer too. Just flip the switch so it stays on while the trucks in park, safer that way than leaving the truck in reverse.

Search this Thread