6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2006 F250 6.0l Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 PM
newyorkbillygoat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 F250 6.0l Transmission issues

So my truck is at 127,000 miles now and it has had alot of problems since new with alot of warranty work. engine was replaced once, Two turbos, a few dozen injectors, unlimited supply of egr valves. 2nd egine head gaskets went bad so I had them do ARP studs instead of stock. Its a 2006 F250 EC SB Lariat FX4.

So my first mod to truck was a Skyjacker 4" full suspension lift with 18" metal moto rims and 35" nito mudd grapplers. Rides great, 10,000 Miles later I start to see a cloud of white smoke every morning from exhaust. I knew right away it was the egr cooler. So I ordered a sinister Full egr delete and a oil cooler rebuild kit. So I thought to myself since the turbo is out already, I should just do a turbo back exhaust while I'm at it. So I purchase the MBRP XP series cool duals TS409 stainless turbo back exhaust with muffler and tips at a killer price. So with all my new goodies and about 8 hours worth of work everything turned out great. well why stop there? I then purchased a K & N cold air intake to add to my goodies. Truck ran better then brand new. Was loving it, I then purchased a SCT SF3 tuner off the shelf programs to get ride of EGR engine codes. Well the temptation was there to put the street tune on. All I have to Say is WOW ... ran it for a few weeks everything is running great.

Here it comes, I went to put the truck back to stock cause I needed to tow. Went back to stock fine and then programmed it to tow 65 HP. Well the tuner froze and I left it on for about 2 Hrs came back to it and was still frozen on setup screen. Unplugged it said forget it for now and drove around with no problems. Went and tried it again a few days later and this time it came back as invalid vehicle. Now I was pissed, Called up SCT told them what the problem was and they said no problem will taked care of it. I informed them I didn't know if it was stuck in stock mode or a tune. So they said lets just upload a new stock file, I gave them my VIN and also made them aware that the vin for some reason states my truck is gas not diesel. Its been like this since new. SCT said no problem techs will handle it. Well I uploaded my new stock file to truck and then installed the new Street tune right after. Truck ran and drove great for 3 weeks. last tuesday I was driving to the camper store to pick up parts for my camper I got on it alittle bit to climb a hill and next thing you know I here POW. Well I lost a little engine power and made it to campers barn. Shut truck off opened hood couldn't find anything. Went inside camper store got my stuff came out, and started my truck and it wouldn't move.

Well the good thing was the camper store was right next to a Ford dealership. walked over seen service manager and had a mechanic walk over with me... He gets in puts truck into drive holds the throtle down to like 4000 rpms truck slams into gear and spins tire. Guy gets out...and says looks like you have a bad tranny.. I'm like I do now.. so now another diesel mechanic sees what he has done and walks over and is like what was that about? the other guy oh it wouldn't go into gear its a bad tranny.. and the second guy is like how do you know with out putting it on the computer. So the first guy gets pissy walks away and now the second guy starts to look at truck.. He pulls it over to a bay and noticed the CAC tube had hole in it. That was the loud POW I heard climbing the hill. So he grabs his laptop and runs all types of test on turbo/turbo vanes and tranny no codes where found... So he feels bad for what the first mechanic does and I didn't get charged for anything. He suggest I do a tranny filter and fluid.

I put my truck back to the stock tuned before I leave parking lot.. Tranny seems find just delayed from shifting from Park to drive or drive to reverse. So I drive my truck around for a few days even take it on vacation towing my camper. So while I've been driving it 5th - overdrive double shifts and going from Park to drive and drive to park takes a while. I get back from vacation last night. Decided to do filter and fluid, had sitting on shelf in garage cause I needed to Do it anyways. Change it out this morning drove like a dream... well then it started to have problems shifting from 2 -3 and 5-overdrive was no longer a problem.. well it started to **** me off. I threw tune back on street and firmer shifts worked like a charm for a bit.. now it has problems downshifting... so this is where I'm at and have no idea what to try..

Not sure if its internals, computer or solenoids... any help would be great.

Thanks all