1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Air Conditioning Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:37 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Air Conditioning Thread

I need to do a lot of AC work in the very near future. I changed the clutch assembly on the 96 F 250 last Summer and found a lot of oil and such coming from the front seal. There is also a pretty healthy stripe of oil above the compressor on the hood.

I thought that I had replaced it not too long ago, but cant find the receipt for it to what the warranty is.

Here is a new Denso unit for $269.99 that only comes with a 1 year warranty:
Denso Compressor with Clutch - New 471-8119: Shop the best A/C Compressor w/o Clutch at Advance Auto Parts

Here is one branded toughone that is a new unit for $199.99:
ToughOne or Factory Air Compressor with Clutch - New T58150: Buy the right A/C Compressor w/Clutch at Advance Auto Parts

I would like the lifetime warranty unit. That requires changing the accumulator and orifice tube too.

My commercial discount will get me 10-15% off the list, but was looking for the best deal possible with the best warranty.

Any suggestions??

Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Also, I read in a thread that some people were using maybe the "orange" expansion tube for the vans that did a better a job cooling?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:25 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bruno, the one you really need to ask about this is Archion. He made his living selling this stuff for a number of years. The 1996 will have an FS10 compressor. As for expansion tubes, it depends on several things, size of the truck cab (I have a crew cab), temperature/humidity of your area and how cold you want to get. I am using a red orifice tube and mine will freeze you out pretty easily.

The 1996 system was designed for R134a and has among other things what is know as a multi-pass condensor. Once one of these has a compressor failure, it requires a new condensor as well. Archion can enlighten you about "black death" on a Ford.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:20 PM
blue84f250
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruno2

My commercial discount will get me 10-15% off the list, but was looking for the best deal possible with the best warranty.

Any suggestions??

Can you use that discount with Advances other discounts? There is a discount to where you get $50 off on online orders over $175. I dont know how long it will still be valid but it appears to be currently valid. I always google AAP promo and it shows them all. AAP is the place where I order alot of stuff and one of the reasons being is the valuable online discounts.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:21 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
If I show it to them or bring up the additional discount they will give it to me. The last time I looked our account was around $35K in sales for this year alone. They don't give a lot of resistance up to the commercial guys because O'Reilly's and Vatozone are always trying to take us out to lunch

I will que up archion and see if he will participate Bill.

Thanks for helping to everyone!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:33 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You might be surprised at what you can get an "A/C kit" from ford for. Compressor, condensor and accumulator.

When a compressor fails, it usually ends up taking out the other 2 items, due to trash getting into them. At least, this is the case on newer R134a systems. Older R12 condensors were much more tolerant of metal shavings, due to having larger passages. This is partly why a R12 system retro-fitted with R134a doesn't cool quite as well as a factory R134a system.

That is why new compressors only have a 1 year warrentty when purchased alone, and a lifetime when purchased as part of a "kit".

Old 05-08-2014, 07:49 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rogue, that was what I was referring to as "black death" the teflon seals (rings) disintegrate and the black particles clog the multi-pass condensor.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Bruno, the one you really need to ask about this is Archion. He made his living selling this stuff for a number of years. The 1996 will have an FS10 compressor. As for expansion tubes, it depends on several things, size of the truck cab (I have a crew cab), temperature/humidity of your area and how cold you want to get. I am using a red orifice tube and mine will freeze you out pretty easily.

The 1996 system was designed for R134a and has among other things what is know as a multi-pass condensor. Once one of these has a compressor failure, it requires a new condensor as well. Archion can enlighten you about "black death" on a Ford.
Mine still gets pretty cold(when it was working), but I added an intercooler to the mix and now it doesn't do quite as good of a job as it did.

I should probably change the compressor now before it gets any worse. At this point the needle on the gauge stays constant. IOW it hasn't lost it's ability to compress and hold . The compressor hasn't started to come apart internally or at least there isn't an obstruction in the orifice tube.

However, the needle on the gauge is very nervous when hooked up to my Dodge. The compressor is definitely going South. I had to change the liquid line last Summer do to an obstruction in it. So that one needs the works.I am about to spend some money and do quite a bit of work if I want to stay cool this Summer

Oh yeah, the Bronco has a loose fitting from when I did the head job on it and it is in need of a charge as well. I haven't hooked the gauges up to it yet, but saw the oil(I always use the green fluorescent stuff)on the outside. So it is leaking and I know where too.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:23 PM
bruno2
Postmaster

This was the orifice tube that came out of Whitey today. Besides the front seal it looks like the internals were going South as well. I saw a shaving of some kind in the line the tube came out of. So all that got a good thorough flushing.I blew some air and alcohol in and out of the condenser also. I am pretty confident it is clean now.

I installed a new compressor , accumulator and orifice tube. I went with the red one. Vacuumed it down and charged it up. I though a lot if not most of the oil came out during the flush and parts change. I put about 5.5 oz of the neon green PAG 46 in the system distributed like the destructions recommended. Then charged with 36oz of the R134A. She is blowing cold now!

Old 05-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Glad it works. May need your help some day. Year?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 AM
2323foru
Junior User
Problem with quick disconnect

I have a problem getting the quick disconnect to disconnect. It is the one nearest the dryer by the firewall. I think it holds the orifice tube also. I have tried in vain every little quick disconnect tool I can find. They slide up and in the disconnect channel but the tube will not come out. Any help ? Should I just buy a new accumulator ? I have had this problem for about three summers and it sure gets hot sometimes. I think if I could get this off and a new tube, vacuum, and refill I might have AC but who knows. vehicle is a 83 f150 with 86 351w/c6 lariat.

thanks,

Old 05-12-2014, 12:24 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Try to get violent with it. If you can get it to come out then before it goes back together buy a repair kit for the fitting. It should have a new spring in it to re install when you are done.

The line with the orifice tube in it comes apart from the accumulator, but connects to the condenser.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:50 PM
2323foru
Junior User

thanks. Yea I have my terminology goofed up. It is the line from the back there I think that is the evaporator but don't have my books in front of me. I will get "more" violent with it I guess. What if I took a hack saw to it ? You mentioned A repair kit. I haven't seen one of those and have asked about that sort of thing in years past just asking the counter folks at the parts stores. If I could hack it off and repair with a repair kit that might be something to consider. I have tried lubing it up and yanking with many different tools.. I know I have the right disconnect tool and I know that it seats. The dang tube just won't come out..

Old 05-12-2014, 02:13 PM
2323foru
Junior User
well actually I found this one;
Murray® Climate Control 16153 - Evaporator Core Repair Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

First one I have seen. probable worth the 15 dollar gamble. I will crank on it a bit more but will also try this splice if nothing else works..

Old 05-12-2014, 08:11 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
The AC in Whitey is cooling like a demon!!

While I was in there I made sure the resistors for the fan speeds were good as well as the vacuum operated damper that puts the system into recirc when the max AC is switched on. Besides the vacuum issue on the duct work this truck is ready for the 100° weather to come.

Also I saw one of those check valve tees hanging out in a box of "spare parts" at the shop. This is why I don't throw a lot of stuff away. Also I need some of that to barter with Gary.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Thread