1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof marker/clearance light questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:57 PM
smith.pete
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof marker/clearance light questions

I just installed roof lights on my 01 F-250 today but haven't been able to finish because I can't find a "hot" wire to run to the switch for my lights. I need to find one by the fuse box under the steering column. Any ideas? Actually, I'd like to just totally do away with the stupid switch that came with the lights and just have the roof lights come on with the parking lights. How do I do that? Is it possible to buy a plug that plugs into one of the empty relay slots in my fuse box (in the cab of the truck) or a plug that plugs right into one of the empty slots where a fuse would go (in the same fuse box)? Last question: I bought some clear silicone to add even more waterproofness (is that a word?) to the lights after drilling the holes in my roof BUT, if I were to silicone them how would I be able to ever replace a bulb without pulling up the light? Hmm.... Thanks for the help in advance, sorry for all the questions but hey, I'm new.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:04 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not plug it into the harness for the roof lights?... in 01 it should be on the passenger side

...or did you go aftermarket?

Old 05-29-2010, 10:37 PM
smith.pete
New User
Well my truck is the absolute bare-bones model. I don't even have electric windows or locks and it definately didn't come with the roof lights.. You think the harness is still in there anyway? And yeah I bought the lights from Pacer, got 2 wires comin down from the bulb. On each I grounded one to the bolt used for mounting each light then the other wire was clamped into this plastic thing that attaches to a long wire that runs the length of the windshield and down the pillar trim, connecting each of the 5 wires with one of those clamps. They also gave me an on/off switch and a wire with built in fuse. Now I just need to figure where to hook this wire with the fuse to and I'm in business. I'd love to do away with the switch all together but for now just getting the lights on would be good.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:43 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
You think the harness is still in there anyway?
yes.

how much did this kit run you? you know that the factory set is around $80 and completely plug 'n play

Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 PM
smith.pete
New User
No I didn't know that, definately didn't know the harness could even be In my truck even though I didn't have the roof lights. Makes sense though that it would be in there. As for the cost, I paid $40 bucks ($50 with shipping) and only bought them because I had some money leftover on my amazon.com account. So what can I do? Can I just see if I have the factory harness already and if I do, could I just buy the male end and wire it into the setup that I've already installed? I'm looking for a solution here without taking down the aftermarket set I've spend all day messing around with..

Old 05-29-2010, 11:36 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
sure... you might have to buy the entire harness, as I don't know if they sell the connector alone.

you could just cut each of the light connections off and splice wires...but there will be both 12v and G wires there.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:35 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The connector is located behind the passenger side kick panel. Parking lights are the brown wire. You can double check with a test light to be sure. The easy thing to do would be get one of those crimp on splices and attach it directly to the wire. Sure, you can probably get the plug but I doubt its cheap. I've got a picture of the connector location if you'd like, just gotta find it first.

EDIT: Found it! The connector I'm pointing to is the one you want. Mine had a dummy piece in there (the part on the floor).

Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2010, 03:27 AM
smith.pete
New User
Awesome. So the brown wire will be my "hot" wire, correct? Seeing as how I connected the bulbs as if I were connecting to a hot wire on the drivers side I suppose I'll just connect some more length of wire to my already bare end and run it to the passenger side now.. Do you have any links on getting that kick panel off? I'm sure I could find one unless you could save me the time. Thanks for the great reference and picture..

Old 05-30-2010, 11:12 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup, the brown is hot when you turn on the parking lights. I don't have any links, but its pretty simple. Open the door and remove the flat piece of trim pictured below. Its held in with spring clips and pops off. The kick panel should only have 1 plastic push in retainer. Pull that out (be gentle, don't break it!) and the panel should slide out.

Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2010, 03:12 PM
smith.pete
New User
So could I just toss out the on/off switch and in-line fuse that came with the lights and just splice the one wire connecting all the bulbs into the brown wire?

Old 05-30-2010, 05:43 PM
smith.pete
New User
Well I got them to work, did just like you said Trevor. Thanks a bunch for everybodies help I really appreciate it. I'll post some pictures of it tonight so you guys can tell me how crooked my lights are LOL..