1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

New here need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 06:26 PM
lefty2053
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here need Advice

I am looking at a couple of Diesels in my area and need to know what I need to look for as problems.New to Truck diesels but I own a TDI Jetta . Totally different engines.Any help is appreciated. Just a list of areas to look at while test driving and or inspecting. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Thats something that is really going to depend on what you are looking at. Ford has a few different engine models with various things to pay close attention to when shopping.

Simple things such as leaks, smoking while engine is running, oil condition.. all your usual practices when looking to buy used. On the turbo engines, looking for leaks and build up around or on the turbo is something to be aware of.

Not knowing what area you are in, or what specific trucks you are looking at, its hard to tell. But if you elaborate on that, and perhaps share what you have found, you will get tons of specific feedback on key areas to check!

Old 05-29-2010, 07:59 PM
lefty2053
New User
One is a 90 Ford XLT 3/4 ton 4x4 Automatic(which was rebuilt 60k miles ago.It has the 7.3 in it and the guy said it does have a turbo.(aftermarket possibly)It has a New IP,3 Fuel tanks(100,40and 20)He said it does have an exhaust leak in the pipe going out of the turbo area.He also said it has a fuel leak that if the truck sits for a few days it is a little hard to start(could this be a leak in the Fuel Filter area?)

I also have looked at a 95 4x4 3/4 ton that I haven't talked to the owners yet. It has the 7.3. Looks real nice but I did see a small leak in the front of the motor I think where the Timing chain is. Not sure but it looked like a timing chain I saw up front.

Any help appreciated.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:00 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Visual:

Body and rust are obvious items, nonspecific.

Engine:

1) Check for any obvious fluid leaks, especially the engine valley, tranny weep hole area, and around the turbo and pedestal.

2) Check coolant with strips and find out the record of any changes or water pump replacement based on mileage.

3) If possible, do compression check, and Cylinder contribution test.

4) Inspect turbo inlet side vanes, should be straight and not dusted or jagged. Try to move the shaft in and out and up and down. Any real noticeable movement by hand is bad. Open and inspect air cleaner assembly for an idea of how it was maintained.

5) If possible, have fuel pressure tested at engine to check pump.

6) Check all intake /intercooler boots for residue or leaks and correct before trying to determine engine condition.

7) Look at oil pan for notorious rusting, make sure not beyond repaint type repair.

8) Know whether you're getting forged or PMRs. 99-mid 01 = forged, anything later is possible or for sure PMR. Not an issue until you exceed 400HP.

Transmission, driveline and 4x4 system:

1) Look for any obvious leaks.

2) With the system in 2wd, grasp and rotate both front drive axles and ensure they rotate freely. Go to the hubs, ESOF and manual should rotate from lock/auto to free with no problems.

3) Grab rear driveshaft and push up and down along it's length checking for worn u-joints or bearings.

4) Check front and rear differential levels. (An indicator of maintenance) Level should be at or w/in 1/2 inch of check plug.

Test drive:

If you have never owned a 7.3 PSD, try to get a 7.3 owner to test drive it. I did this with a friend who bought his new. Invaluable evalation because you have no idea. A stock PSD may feel like a slug to the gasser uninitiated but it can pull a house off of it's foundation. So here we go.
A. Drive more than one PSD truck that you are considering. Whether Auto or Stick, it will give you an idea of the overall condition of the one you want to buy. Cost = 0. Learning curve = super high. Dealers have a ready supply.

Startup:

Turn key and watch wait to start light. The colder it is the longer it will take but should take no longer than 15-20 seconds on even cold days. Start engine. Should crank readily and turn the tach while cranking (although mine does not). Should start within 2-5 seconds of cranking. The colder it is the longer it will take but if longer than 5 seconds there may be a problem. Even in colder weather. If it does not not start easily on the second try, suspect problems, possibly in the glow plugs or GP relays. If it does not crank readily, or seems to drag, suspect batteries first, starter next, then cables.

Driving:

Check all operational items. Don't be rushed. This is a major investment and you want to get it right. Even small items like the cruise will set you back.

1. Auto tranny: will feel like it takes the throttle to get moving with a stocker. The higher the mileage, the worse this will be. The shift should be smooth but slippy with a stocker. Long to engage. Convertor lockup will be almost imperceptable, but there. Will lock up at about 45 to 60m depending on throttle in OD. Should drop out of OD with input to brake or reduction of speed.

2) Standard: give input

3) Ride: if it is bouncing down the road, you can look to having some problems to take care of. These can be tire balance. Tires, or some unexplained seemingly incurable symptom that you may have to live with which is unacceptable and not common, but does happen. Some say it is an out of balance driveline but there is no universal cure.

4) Exhaust drone. Only happens with aftermarket exhaust due to what I believe is harmonics resonating in the thinner walled aftermarket systems. Not a big solution at present but not a performance issue.

5) Performance. There is no hesitation in the PSD 7.3 when all is in working order. Any hesitation is an indicator of a problem. By design, if all is in order, at throttle tip in, it simply responds. No excuse such as mileage considerations. This = repair bill.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:06 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
for the 90 go back to the main list and go to 7.3l IDI & 6.9l section they will be able to help you more on that one this is the 94.5 to 97 (psd) powerstroke deisel section

Welcome to FTE! There is alot of great guys here that can help.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:40 PM
lefty2053
New User
Thanks for all your help. I have copied pasted and printed out your helpful items. I will take them with me when I test drive these trucks.Buying a used truck is one thing but I don't want to mess up on a diesel. I know they are a lot different than the Gas motors.