Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Why...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 AM
PilotRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why...

So in the last 14 months, we've had a dog requiring major back surgery, the in-law's house get hit by a tornado, my father-in-law develop a tumor a die from it, my wife lose her job (and get it back), and me lose my job. Now, my 2-month old daughter is going to need surgery next month.

Long story short, she was born with a birth defect which is now making itself known. It appears that 2 of the 5 skull plates have fused too early, most likely in utero. This is preventing her skull from growing in the proper shape, which (long term) will cause the brain to grow in an abnormal shape. While there are no medical problems 100% proven to be blamed by this defect, she would grow up with an odd-shaped head, and would never be an outgoing child. So, we are pretty much set on doing the surgery.

Sometime in late June, the neurosurgeon will take her from us and sedate her. He'll remove bone matter from 3 of her 5 main skull plates. The operation lasts 2-3 hours, she'll spend 2-3 nights in the hospital recovering, then we'll take her home. She'll get to wear a helmet for about 2 months to reshape her head.

The good news: this is a much easier procedure than what she would endure at an older age. She's so young that she will never, ever know it happened. And, when all is said and done, she'll be even more beautiful than she is now. The bad part: my wife and I have to deal with this, and it sucks. The surgeon has never lost a patient in over 500 of these procedures.

So, we wait. We move on with daily life, and cry every now and then because it's kinda scary. But, we're not the first people to go through something like this, and we hear more and more each day about how many of our family and friends have had to deal with baby trauma. If you are a praying person, please keep Mea in your prayers. If you're not a praying person, we ask for some good thoughts headed our way, if you don't mind.

Sorry I've been missing from the board. I'm still trying to find a job, but that's not happening. For every 1 pilot needed to be hired, there are 20,000 of us trying to get the position. Good times.

I hope you're all doing well, and thanks for reading this.

-Rob

Old 05-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Prayers sent to Mea and her Mom and Dad.

let me know if you need anything Rob, and Take care.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:41 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Prayers sent Rob.
God bless you and the family.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:11 PM
PilotRob
Elder User
Thanks to both of you.

We've been learning quite a bit about this defect in the last days. Turns out that a good friend from college went through it with his youngest daughter (now 10), and she's fine. Another college buddy's wife said her niece and nephew had similar surgeries; both are fine. Friends of my parents had a grand-niece go through it; she's fine. So, as long as my wife & I can keep our cool, it sounds like our little girl will be just fine.

Then ... maybe ... eventually ... I can start visiting here again.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,085 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Rob...good thoughts for Mea on the journey she is headed on. Good thoughts for mom and dad also!!!

My great niece also had the same issue...same procedure...she's now 3 1/2 and perfect in every respect!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,675 Likes on 1,131 Posts
prayers from my family, the surgery will go fine! my wife's friend just had it done on their son. they were worried also but all is well.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:51 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My prayers go out to your family. It sounds like you guys thought about the pro's and cons and made the right decision. I'm sure it was tough, but you'll see how strong babies are, man are they resilient! My 3rd boy (who will be 3 this week) had to have open heart surgery at 4 months to replace a valve and "shell" (for lack of a better term) out the extra muscle that was causing his heart to be enlarged. The technical term is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (he also has WPW but we don't need get into details, google if you're interested). He's doing great now and won't need another surgery until he's 10, so we thank God everyday for the time we have together. Anyways, any kind of surgery is scary, especially when it's you're own child, it's alot of ups and downs, but have faith in the dr's, they know what they're doin'. One (of many) thing I'm thankful for is the fact that he'll never remember any of what he went through. He may question the scars, and I'll let him know what happened, but also that chicks dig scars.

I lost my mom to brain cancer 2 months ago, my father in law to mesothelioma last August, and close friend to lung cancer last November. I often find myself asking the same question, "Why?"... I'll never figure it out and am fairly certain I'll never get an answer, I just have to learn to move on.

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with your family during this time. Please keep us updated (when you can of course).

Old 06-08-2010, 11:11 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our thoughts go out to you & your family Rob. I see another good side. That there is a procedure to correct this, & doctors with lots of experience doing them. Sometimes a person has to trust these doctors & know God is in control. I faced death a year ago & was very fortunate to have a good doctor & that God wasn't done with me. I remember going to the operating room thinking, I have to just trust. Had I not made it I would of never known & went under in peace. Now my wife & family had a much tougher time, but my wife I know was scared, & worried, but she also trusted God & the doctor. The only thing we knew about the surgeon was he was a no BS doctor with a good reputation.
So Rob it is all in Gods hands as everything is. Why things happen as they do he only knows.

Craig

Old 06-11-2010, 06:18 PM
08kingranchAZ
Freshman User
good luck with everything, hope it all goes well

Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 PM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Wow Rob, I just came across this thread, I hope that everything turns out okay. Please keep us posted on her progress as well as yours and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:46 PM
topdogcustoms
Junior User
Sorry to hear that ill keep Mea and you and your wife in our prayers

Old 06-21-2010, 11:59 AM
PilotRob
Elder User
Thank you to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. Surgery is today at 1pm. We know she'll be fine, and we look forward to when she comes home in a few days, but today is our day to be good parents and stress out.

So many whys ... but I have to remember the old Bud Light commercial: Why Ask Why? It is what it is, and we have to accept that. We'll be stronger for it all.

Updates coming later. Maybe when things calm down I can get back on here on a regular basis.

-Rob

Old 06-21-2010, 12:16 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,675 Likes on 1,131 Posts
we will keep her in our prayers during the surgery.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:13 PM
PilotRob
Elder User
Gee, where did the week go. I wonder...

Surgery was a success and recovery is going very well. My little one was back to herself by Wed morning, so we were discharged. She didn't nap at all yesterday, but I think we're getting her back on schedule.

Monday we pickup her helmet, which she'll wear for 2-3 months. After that it's just routine followups to make sure things worked out ok.

So nice to have this behind us! Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and prayers, and for just reading this.

-Rob

Old 06-25-2010, 03:36 PM
jstnromero
Postmaster
good to hear Rob. Keep us posted on her recovery.

Quick Reply: Why...