Sponsored by:

Ford diesel tech programs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Njdub
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford diesel tech programs?

Hi I am currently a mechanic working at a small shop pretty much apprenticing. I really would like to work on diesels and get trained in diesel engines.

I know ford has their ASSET program and there is a school near me that has it. Is this worth it? Or should I go for a general diesel program?
I have pretty good experience with gas engines but I know that isn't really gonna make too much of a difference.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Well, as I have gone along in getting into diesels, there are quite a few large differences followed by a completely different operating system. Thats something to be aware of..

Other then that, if you enjoy working on diesel engines, I suggest going another route. Ford has a good program, but much of what they will teach, are diagnostics and replacement. Something more detailed would be ideal. As you progress through your education and career, you may want to expand your options, and being limited to one auto manufactorers system may limit you. I suggest going to a school that will teach you a broader picture of diesel mechanics.

A school I suggest, WyoTech. Very good school, affordable, very specialized, and will help out with placement and continued education.

In this career field, be ready to go back to school often! There will be your initial classes and studies, then as you work, systems change, and you will be sent back to school often, and more so by dealerships to learn new system and updates.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Volvo92906
Posting Guru
Where you at Njdub? In my opinion, Wyotech isnt really good. I mean, they have a decent technical program but I know a few people who went through it and still dont have work. And for that kind of outlook, the price of it isnt too great.

The Ford ASSET program is a really good one that will teach you how Ford does it and then like Midwest Dually stated, its a lot of diag and replacement which is really anything you do anymore today. They dont rebuild stuff like they used to. Its not cost effective.

I am going to a technical school turned community college in Ohio. Its cheap and has a technical education as Wyotech and UTI would give you, and then you can come out with a degree.

But, in short school will only get you so far. You can keep going back and learning more and more but a lot of what you will pick up will happen in the field. I am a diesel tech (tractor trailers) and although school is great, I learned a lot of what im learning now by working in the field from a person who was willing to teach and knew what he was talking about.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Njdub
Junior User
Hey I'm located in south jersey. Where I work now I have learned tons from him (he has over 30 years in autobody and wrenching). He is also in very very good with the guys at the local ford dealership (we do the autobody for them). So I am thinking about asking him to ask them about a training program there.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
either wyotec or the school you are talking about would be a great Idea..
Im going to lincoln tech my self. Start in two months. We all need training. Hope you and me both get a steady job after training. Good luck

Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 AM
SirWibin
Freshman User
Stay away from WyoTech.