Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Controller for E40D

Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Powertrain Control Module - CPU

Old 10-23-2013, 05:51 PM
superhooperduty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RIKIL
I quickly scanned over the instructions document (let me know if you need a copy) and I see my notes about the resistor but not where the instructions talk about needing it. I do remember I had to replace it just recently as it broke when I was moving the wires around. For my setup, which is E4OD, I cut the #3 wire from the PCM and inserted a 47k ohm, resistor. It can be either 1/2 or 1/4 watt. They said both would work. If I remember correctly, the resistor wasn't mentioned in the instructions and I learned about it on a phone call with Baumann a while ago.
I emailed Bauman, they said to hook up the resistor, but if I do I have no tach, if I bypass the resistor and just hook up to the gray/black wire, I have tach and it seems to shift exactly the same, I don't recall getting any real hook up instructions with this, I got some paperwork that said green to blah blah, but nothing to indicate cutting or splicing in wires without cutting orginal wires, or exactly what to do, maybe thats why I have a some little problems. I need to program it again and change some shifts as well, get to about 50 mph and it downshifts instead of up shifting. etc..
could you please send the install instructions?

Let me know what you need.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2013, 07:18 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superhooperduty
I emailed Bauman, they said to hook up the resistor, but if I do I have no tach, if I bypass the resistor and just hook up to the gray/black wire, I have tach and it seems to shift exactly the same, I don't recall getting any real hook up instructions with this, I got some paperwork that said green to blah blah, but nothing to indicate cutting or splicing in wires without cutting orginal wires, or exactly what to do, maybe thats why I have a some little problems. I need to program it again and change some shifts as well, get to about 50 mph and it downshifts instead of up shifting. etc..
could you please send the install instructions?

Let me know what you need.

Thanks
I have uploaded the file here (too big to attach to this thread): http://www.filedropper.com/baumanntransmissioninstall

But like I said before, the resistor isn't mentioned in the instructions. It was something I learned from a conversation. You will see my notes on page 10.

I am not sure what you mean by the tach. I didn't have a tach when I installed the trans controller and I just recently I added a factory tach in my instrument cluster, didn't notice a bit of difference.

Last edited by RIKIL; 10-23-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: cuz
Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 PM
superhooperduty
Senior User
I quickly scanned over the instructions document (let me know if you need a copy) and I see my notes about the resistor but not where the instructions talk about needing it. I do remember I had to replace it just recently as it broke when I was moving the wires around. For my setup, which is E4OD, I cut the #3 wire from the PCM and inserted a 47k ohm, resistor. It can be either 1/2 or 1/4 watt. They said both would work. If I remember correctly, the resistor wasn't mentioned in the instructions and I learned about it on a phone call with Baumann a while ago.
I hooked up the resistor(cut the gray/black wire) runs, shifts ok but no tach, with wire still cut and TCS(green wire ) hooked up have tach and shifts the same. Can you send me a copy of the install instructions? Its been like I said 8.5 years, and back then I found this confusing.
thanks

Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 PM
superhooperduty
Senior User
I have uploaded the file here (too big to attach to this thread): http://www.filedropper.com/baumanntransmissioninstall

But like I said before, the resistor isn't mentioned in the instructions. It was something I learned from a conversation. You will see my notes on page 10.

I am not sure what you mean by the tach. I didn't have a tach when I installed the trans controller and I just recently I added a factory tach in my instrument cluster, didn't notice a bit of difference.
I mean no tachometer reading. I have a factory tachometer.
thanks

Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
I hooked up the resistor(cut the gray/black wire) runs, shifts ok but no tach, with wire still cut and TCS(green wire ) hooked up have tach and shifts the same. Can you send me a copy of the install instructions? Its been like I said 8.5 years, and back then I found this confusing.
thanks
Click the link in my previous post, those are the install instructions

Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 PM
superhooperduty
Senior User
Click the link in my previous post, those are the install instructions
I have down loaded the files you provided thru the link, these are what I have. But I didn't see the "notes" you mentioned were on page ten.

Bauman really has poor instructions.

But thank you.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:26 AM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
I have down loaded the files you provided thru the link, these are what I have. But I didn't see the "notes" you mentioned were on page ten.

Bauman really has poor instructions.

But thank you.
Yes, Baumann does have poor instructions. My notes are hand written, just indicating what size resistor and where it goes.

Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2013, 10:34 AM
superhooperduty
Senior User
Yes, Baumann does have poor instructions. My notes are hand written, just indicating what size resistor and where it goes.
Thanks, I've tried to explain to Baumann, but , no luck so far.
So I cut the Gray/ black wire going to the tranny from computer and hookup resistor to the gray/black wire going to the tranny? and then hook up green from controller to resistor?
and leave cut gray/black wire from computer taped off?
thanks

Old 10-30-2013, 10:43 AM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Thanks, I've tried to explain to Baumann, but , no luck so far.
So I cut the Gray/ black wire going to the tranny from computer and hookup resistor to the gray/black wire going to the tranny? and then hook up green from controller to resistor?
and leave cut gray/black wire from computer taped off?
thanks
I'll see if I can take a look maybe this weekend. I want to say all I did was find the wire at the computer, cut it, and put in a resistor in between the cut ends.