Modular V10 (6.8l)  
View Poll Results: How was your experience with your 5-star tunes?
GREAT - best thing I ever did!
89.17%
OK - not as much as an improvement as I thought
10.83%
Had a problem - but it was taken care of quickly
0%
Had a problem - not happy how it turned out
2.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

The official "I like Mike" thread - Mike at 5-star

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 06:06 PM
holyshift
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like Ill be leaving the Performance tune on

Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM
DanD2
Junior User
Gotta save my pennies.....I WANT one of these.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Yourguide
5th Wheeling
Just got my Tuner from 5-star today... Running 89 ECO.
So what's the best way to get MPG increase on my 2004 V10 Crew Cab?
Stock everything for now, I'm assuming the ECO tune should be the best, but from reading others posts, I'm not really sure.
I went with 89 since its the same price as 87 at my local station... Would running higher 91 octane with the 91 ECO tune yield better results for daily driving?
Am I just stuck with trial and error or has someone an idea on a system to follow?
Thanks guys!

Old 09-07-2013, 09:05 AM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably not, but finding a non-ethanol gas station will bump you 1-2 mpg and have more power. You can also add an Airaid intake system and Magnaflow muffler, but the mpg difference are small.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:56 PM
pop4233
Freshman User
I recently went with the 87 pref/tow with l/o and the 93 pref/tow with l/o. Having come from the factory installed tweaking on the SCT. I'm currently using the 87 Pref/tow and let me tell you... A big difference in throttle response and shifting. I can't wait until I empty the tank to try the 93. Money well spent IMHO. I have a 06 f350 cc lb 4wd 20's w/ 4.10 8k empty. I cannot express enough that I should have done this a while ago. Kudos to Mike, great customer care, all around excellent service!

Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Yourguide
5th Wheeling
Well my average MPG BEFORE SCT with Mikes 89 ECO, first two tanks. 8.9MPG & 10.8MPG.
After SCT, and granted... Mostly Highway this time, I got 11.7 & just now with only a 1/3 tank down (I couldn't resist checking it again) I got 14.74!

I'm tickled pink! Thanks Mike! You da man!

I also feel like its got more pep to boot!

Cant wait to try the other tunes....

Old 09-08-2013, 07:58 PM
KP1001
Senior User
How do Mike's tunes work?

Just purchased an 06 v-10 and would like to increase the power. How do his tunes work? Do you program according to which octane gas you're running? I read the different stories and see "87 Octane program or 91 octane program" and dont understand. Can someone explain what to expect or what I need to do to place an order?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Yourguide
5th Wheeling
I'm a complete noob at tuners, but having just bought one from 5star here goes.
Yes you pick a "tune" based on the octane of fuel and the desired results you want to achieve.
The 3 results choices are either ECO / Performance / Towing
And you have octane ratings for each one.
87 - 89 - 91 - 93
My X3 SCT tuner I bought from 5 star has stock tunes built in, but Mike will create tunes custom for your truck based on several factors. Wheel size, transmission, etc they have a form you fill out after you make the purchase where they will need your VIN # and other things.
They mailed me my tuner with Instructions to hook it up and read off a special code, then email it to them along with the 5 custom tunes I would like.
I opted for 89 ECO/Perf/Tow and 91 Eco/Perf
Since 89 octane is the same price as 87 at my local station... And 91 is as high as they go.
I am really interested in running Ethanol free fuel to see if there are any MPG benefits and I found a station in the 2nd closest larger city with a 91 octane ethanol free blend... So I want to try that 91 ECO out with it.
Honestly this is just a fun game to play for me... As so many have said this vehicle wasn't designed for economy. I know that, but I love to tinker.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 PM
KP1001
Senior User
Originally Posted by Yourguide
I'm a complete noob at tuners, but having just bought one from 5star here goes.
Yes you pick a "tune" based on the octane of fuel and the desired results you want to achieve.
The 3 results choices are either ECO / Performance / Towing
And you have octane ratings for each one.
87 - 89 - 91 - 93
My X3 SCT tuner I bought from 5 star has stock tunes built in, but Mike will create tunes custom for your truck based on several factors. Wheel size, transmission, etc they have a form you fill out after you make the purchase where they will need your VIN # and other things.
They mailed me my tuner with Instructions to hook it up and read off a special code, then email it to them along with the 5 custom tunes I would like.
I opted for 89 ECO/Perf/Tow and 91 Eco/Perf
Since 89 octane is the same price as 87 at my local station... And 91 is as high as they go.
I am really interested in running Ethanol free fuel to see if there are any MPG benefits and I found a station in the 2nd closest larger city with a 91 octane ethanol free blend... So I want to try that 91 ECO out with it.
Honestly this is just a fun game to play for me... As so many have said this vehicle wasn't designed for economy. I know that, but I love to tinker.
Thanks for the feedback! Is there a big difference in towing, mileage, and performance? Some people have said their mileage has decreased because the truck is so much more fun to drive now, they cant keep their foot out of it!

It has decent power now but it's not like my 7.3. Maybe I have alot to get used to but I drove a 1 ton van with a v10 a few years back and was really impressed with it and was curious why this truck didnt seem to run as good. I think it's geared taller mainly. Over all it is as tough as they come and I have high expectations from 5 star.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Yourguide
5th Wheeling
I have just been running the ECO tunes so far.
I'll post my opinion based on feel but it won't be scientific or measurable.
Currently I've run a few additional full tanks through with the 87 ECO and I'm always getting between 12-14 MPG. That's a huge increase from my non-tuned tanks before the tuner that were 8-10 MPG.
From the same gas station with me driving the majority of the time. I'm mindful of MPG, my wife not so much.
I also have plenty of power and responsiveness also. Blows my 92 Chevy 6.5 Turbo away.. Not even close in take off speed.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Yourguide
5th Wheeling
I've had the chance to run a couple tanks of 91 Octane using PERF tune and ECO tune.... I seem to get the same mileage as running 87 Octane ECO.
So maybe the most savings are with 87 ECO.
I just found a 91 octane with no ethanol and I filled up with it (light was on, but wasn't really fully empty)
I'm going to run 91 ECO tune on this tank and post results.
Currently I'm avg 13.77 MPG, with a mix of country roads, around town.. A little Interstate here and there.

I'm happy with that on my 2004 V10.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Yourguide
5th Wheeling
Maybe not completely scientific, but my results for 91 octane no ethanol have been 12MPG avg... So no gains due to the lack of ethanol.
I've gone back to the 87 ECO tune and will run it awhile.
I spoke with Mike from 5 star the other day who suggested I fiddle with the spark timing on my tunes... And install a Y pipe in order to get better MPG.
I've been reading the forums about cold air intakes also... Seems the factory setup may actually be the best for my 04 F250 V10.
Any thoughts?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Kopperhed
New User
Had my SCT tuner from 5Star about 2 weeks now. I know for a fact, on 87 perf/tow, the mileage is not worse, but the performance difference is incredible...... alot of it is the drive-by-wire and trans programming, which the V10 really needs, makes a much better daily driver. Have yet to put a hitch in the new truck, can't wait to tow with it. I am, however, confident that I am ready to sell my 2000 7.3...... I don't have time to fix things on it myself, and I can't afford to pay someone else to do it.... $5,000 for new injectors & labor last year was more than enough.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:59 AM
garyrice
New User
Customer Service Lacking

Maybe all on this thread had great customer service results ... like several years ago, but it is not so good now. I called 8 days ago to ask some really basic questions and was asked to leave my number. I did not get a call. I called two days ago to purchase a new SCT and tunes and again was asked to leave my number. No call back! They just don't want my money or business. That was my experience just the past two weeks.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:37 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by garyrice
Maybe all on this thread had great customer service results ... like several years ago, but it is not so good now. I called 8 days ago to ask some really basic questions and was asked to leave my number. I did not get a call. I called two days ago to purchase a new SCT and tunes and again was asked to leave my number. No call back! They just don't want my money or business. That was my experience just the past two weeks.
garyrice,

I am not sure where the communication breakdown was on our end. I can however offer you 2 things. First is my number: 843-618-1913. Secondly, you are welcome to PM me your number and a time to call you. I'd be happy to do so anytime.

Chris

Quick Reply: The official "I like Mike" thread - Mike at 5-star