Modular V10 (6.8l)  
View Poll Results: How was your experience with your 5-star tunes?
GREAT - best thing I ever did!
89.17%
OK - not as much as an improvement as I thought
10.83%
Had a problem - but it was taken care of quickly
0%
Had a problem - not happy how it turned out
2.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

The official "I like Mike" thread - Mike at 5-star

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:35 PM
deathinc_7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered Mine

Just ordered mine from Mike, easy to deal with and look forward to installing it once I get it in. Will follow up with feedback. Thanks Mike!!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:37 PM
barthel
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You won't be sorry!!!

I had a chance to use the tow tune a few weeks ago, it pulls like a 40 mule team. I don't know that I'm totally used to the shift points yet, but have no complaints.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:53 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I received my 5-Star today; took off the Diablosport Predator that I have used for 90,000 miles and programmed the 89 octane tow/go program. Well, I have to say up front that there was an immediate difference in my truck. Better off the line, better mid-range, and it pulls like my old diesel up to 100 mph when I let off. I drove it 80 miles today with the 5-Star and tried it with the tow/haul most of the way. How does Mike get it to be faster with lower rpm's??? I also think my mileage went up even with my foot. Anyway I am sooo sorry that I waited soooo long to get Mike's 5-Star SCT. It is the real bomb and I can't wait to run up against some of the new diesels; I think they will be surprised at my V-10. Thanks Mike, and I have posted on my Airstream forum as well so you may get some additional business from them.

Pap

Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by deathinc_7
Just ordered mine from Mike, easy to deal with and look forward to installing it once I get it in. Will follow up with feedback. Thanks Mike!!
Hey Thank you

Old 10-25-2011, 06:22 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by barthel
You won't be sorry!!!

I had a chance to use the tow tune a few weeks ago, it pulls like a 40 mule team. I don't know that I'm totally used to the shift points yet, but have no complaints.
Hi Thanks , tow tune works well with 5000lbs or more with shift schedules altered

Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by pappy19
I received my 5-Star today; took off the Diablosport Predator that I have used for 90,000 miles and programmed the 89 octane tow/go program. Well, I have to say up front that there was an immediate difference in my truck. Better off the line, better mid-range, and it pulls like my old diesel up to 100 mph when I let off. I drove it 80 miles today with the 5-Star and tried it with the tow/haul most of the way. How does Mike get it to be faster with lower rpm's??? I also think my mileage went up even with my foot. Anyway I am sooo sorry that I waited soooo long to get Mike's 5-Star SCT. It is the real bomb and I can't wait to run up against some of the new diesels; I think they will be surprised at my V-10. Thanks Mike, and I have posted on my Airstream forum as well so you may get some additional business from them.

Pap

Thanks Pap for the real world feedback your comparo validates our efforts for sure.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:21 AM
deathinc_7
New User
Early Feedback

Got it on Thursday installed custom tune from Mike on Friday (87 Performance/Tow). All I can say is wow, off the line power is so much better, lot better throttle response. Saturday drove to Austin and back(Anthrax concert) about a 160 mile trip and passing power was a lot better too. Mileage went up 1 tick to 10.6. Shifting is quicker and tighter in my opinion. Another thing I noticed at highway speeds the RPMs were slightly lower. For example before the tune at 70 mph my RPMs would be slightly over 2000, now its slightly over 1900. Very satisfied with the service and product. Highly recommend product. Thanks Mike!!
Keep rockin!!

deathinc_7

Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah I'm embarrassed!
I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread...

So to the point.
Three days after I got my 05 E350 V10 I drove over to Mike so he could do his magic.
He did and for the past 20,000 miles it's been perfect. I've towed my 7500lb Travel Trailer from CLT to NYC to GSP to TPA, with many little side trips and not a single problem. As a matter of fact I nearly forget I'm towing even on the hills!
I just set the cruise control and relax
All aspects of my van are way different and much better. She has impressed all of my friends to the point of "Woah! this Van is f'n fast"
My tunes are 93oct performance, 93oct tow and 87oct tow.
If you're thinking about getting a 5 Star tune from Mike... Just do it. you won't regret it.

ps. I've had Mike's comment in my Sig since the first week I got it.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 PM
4mcrue
Junior User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I called and talked to Mike on friday, he was very friendly and helpful. I can't wait til it gets here. I am/was a huge superchips fan with my previous chevy's, so I am excited to get an actual tune this time.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Hey Guys
Cool of you to post up, thank you for that..

Old 11-04-2011, 09:10 AM
ELJ1st500
New User
Thanks Mike!

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to throw in my two bits here.

I have been dealing with Mike for the past year regarding tunes and other changes to my '02 F250 with the V10. In reality, I have probably been a pain in Mike's butt with all of my e-mails requesting his opinion on modifications to improve the towing performance of my truck and the tuning changes to go with these modifications. I have to tell you that Mike has always been very responsive to my questions and always has the answers that I am looking for. I have been very pleased with the recommendations he has made and the different tunes that he has provided for me over the past year.

Thanks for being patient with me Mike. I appreciate your time and assistance.

Eric Johnson

Old 11-04-2011, 11:05 PM
4mcrue
Junior User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I received my tunes from Mike today, downloaded them and put them on the truck. My first impression? WOW. Shifts so much smoother, better throttle response, and seems to idle smoother. I am impressed.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:14 AM
redbull660
Senior User
I have a quick question. I got the tuner from you for my 2008 ford f350 with the v10. What is the difference between the 87 octane tow/performance tune and the 87 octane economy tune. What difference will this make. I am thinking about using the economy tune when Im not towing and then using the tow performance tune when Im am towing a load.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Try them both see what fits you best.. I like the 87 perf/tow best

Old 11-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Packrat Super duty
Senior User
I've had the X3 for about 5 months now. Love it. I'm using 87 econo, at present, and it is working nicely. I also have the 87 tow, and 87 perf.

I have developed a manifold exhaust leak,(passenger side) While doing price comparisons between a new manifold and headers, for a few extra bucks in installation costs. I could lean towards going to headers. ( a pair of headers is cheaper than one manifold) So I'm thinking of going with Gibson shorty's.

So I have some questions.

1. Will this change effect the current tunes that I have with the mods already in place?

2. Is it worth going with headers, or should I just stay with the manifold?

3. Are Gibson Shorty's a good product to go with?

I have the Airaid, CAI, Power Aid Throttle body spacer, modified Y pipe and Flomaster 3" ehaust. No cat.

Quick Reply: The official "I like Mike" thread - Mike at 5-star