Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Senior User

UaVaj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Which service(s) are dealer recommended?

I recieved a non transferrable gift of $125 for service (can not be used for just parts) at my local dealer that expires soon.

I do wrench a little and can handle normal maintaince such as oil change, tranny fluid change, fuel filter change, coolant change, brake fluid change, differential fluid change and the such. I can also handle small job such as brake change, rotate tire tires, batteries changes, air filter change and the such. The truck currently has 60k and has a clean oasis (never any warranty work).

There is no reason to waste this gift on something I can handle myself.
What is a recommended service that a dealer should do?

I was thinking:
(1) EGR cleaning service for $240 (not sure if needed)
or
(2) auto front hub maintaince (it has been acting up lately) for $??? (I still need to call for a quote)
or
(3) flash to the latest update (not sure what version I have - pretty sure it is 2006)
or
(4) both fuel filter service for $130 (this is now due)
or
(5) something else

06 F350 Lariat CC PSD Auto 4x4 LB DRW 4.10LS
Old 05-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Posting Guru

TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.
Well, just my opinion but those prices are a bit insane if you ask me. $240 to clean an EGR? $130 to service two filters that normally cost $60 for both and take five minutes to change out...

"Seat heaters are God's way of saying 'No matter how bad your day may be, it could always be worse. You could have all this happen to you and your bum not be pleasantly toasted.'"
Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
It kind of depends on how many miles you have on the truck.

But the one thing you cannot really do properly yourself is a transmission flush. You can get by with a pan drain and fill every 15k miles. But if you've got, oh lets say 60k for example, it is time for a complete flush with their special machine.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 05-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Elder User

smlford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
It kind of depends on how many miles you have on the truck.

But the one thing you cannot really do properly yourself is a transmission flush. You can get by with a pan drain and fill every 15k miles. But if you've got, oh lets say 60k for example, it is time for a complete flush with their special machine.

Once again I agree....
Build Green ! www.PDandM.com
Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Postmaster

mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
Let's see, what would I trust my local dealership to do...

Hmmm....

Well, it would be easy to check (and correct!) their work after changing the air filter, so yeah, I'd let them do that....

In other words, if your dealerships service dept is like mine, the best thing you could do for the truck is burn the cert....
'99 F250 V10 Super Cab Long Bed 4x4. '06 short block, PI conversion, modded airbox, 5 Star custom tune, FM50BB, 315/75-16 GY Duratracs, mild lift, 4.30 LSD, Ride-Rite bags, on board air, Rancho RS9000 w/MyRide, under bed subwoofer, 160 amp Quick Start large case alternator
Why, yes, I am some kind of geek engineer. Thank you for asking.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Posting Guru

TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwsF250 View Post
In other words, if your dealerships service dept is like mine, the best thing you could do for the truck is burn the cert....

Also sounds like on some of those "services" they are jacking the price up $125 for his $125 coupon. lol.

You did say that not all of it could be used on parts, right? Some of it had to be on service. Simple. Buy $120 worth of stuff from their parts counter and have them refill the windshield washer fluid for ya. Bingo bango, problem solved!

"Seat heaters are God's way of saying 'No matter how bad your day may be, it could always be worse. You could have all this happen to you and your bum not be pleasantly toasted.'"
Old 05-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
ford, lightning, recommended, service