2000 F-150 XLT A/C Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 AM
PeterBrazier
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F-150 XLT A/C Repair

Greetings,
I was experiancing some very disconcerting noise coming from my engine and brought the truck to the local shop (that I trust) and they said that the sound ( a knocking) was coming from the A/C compressor and that it needed to be replaced. I was relieved that it wasn't an internal engine component but I still need to deal with it. Since then, I've noticed that the A/C clutch is coming apart. Expences are an issue these days and I don't want to spend more that I have to. I actually don't even care if I have A/C but I'm concerned that if the thing freezes up or falls apart- there goes the belt etc......

In anyone's opinion is a junkyard compressor OK? How much of a job is it swapping one out? Is there any sort of aftermarket device that would serve as a placeholder for the pulley so that I could get rid of the A/C all together? How do I tell if the A/C is "integral" or "hang-on"?

Thanks for any help. I just posted another thread with inspection repair list. I thought this would be better off as a separate topic
Peter
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterBrazier
Greetings,
I was experiancing some very disconcerting noise coming from my engine and brought the truck to the local shop (that I trust) and they said that the sound ( a knocking) was coming from the A/C compressor and that it needed to be replaced. I was relieved that it wasn't an internal engine component but I still need to deal with it. Since then, I've noticed that the A/C clutch is coming apart. Expences are an issue these days and I don't want to spend more that I have to. I actually don't even care if I have A/C but I'm concerned that if the thing freezes up or falls apart- there goes the belt etc......

In anyone's opinion is a junkyard compressor OK? How much of a job is it swapping one out? Is there any sort of aftermarket device that would serve as a placeholder for the pulley so that I could get rid of the A/C all together? How do I tell if the A/C is "integral" or "hang-on"?

Thanks for any help. I just posted another thread with inspection repair list. I thought this would be better off as a separate topic
Peter
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Did the shop tell you if the noise was from the failing clutch or the compressor failing internally?
If it's just the clutch, it can be replaced separately. Many shops won't replace just the clutch because they can be on the hook if the old compressor then fails shortly afterward.

If the compressor failing is what caused the clutch to fail, then a compressor, orifice tube, accumulator and system flush are in order.

A junk yard compressor "might" be ok, but the odds heavily are against you. Unfortunately, lower priced remans are also a real crapshoot. A new or quality reman (~$250) is really the best way to go. With the others, you're rolling the dice and hoping for a good one.

If you're really tight for cash, a used compressor bolted in place to act as an idler is a cheap work around. There are bypass pulleys available, but they're upwards of $60-75.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:06 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
the compressor has nothing to do with it. the clutch is a freewheeling pulley mounted to a bearing. compressor only turns when AC is on. YOu can buy a new clutch and bolt to the old compressor, you can buy an idler pulley and SOMEHOW mount it in place, or you can see if there is a different belt available that is on the trucks "without" the AC, and just install the new belt leaving out the compressor. Ask NAPA or Auto Zone if there is a belt available WO compressor, that would be cheaper than a new cluthc/ pulley.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:10 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
i guess if you got a good deal on a used compressor that had a good clutch, you could put that on (unit or just the clutch). or you could take the clutch off and put a new bearing in it if you are mechanically inclined. you dont need the cluthc to work, you just need a bearing mounted to a shaft (pump), with an idler pulley over it.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 PM
thecardoc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NAPA sells an idler AC by pass pulley 660-1834 or 660-1833 for a little over $30.00

Old 05-21-2010, 12:19 AM
billybubba
Junior User
2 years ago I heard this grinding noise from the a/c compressor. The clutch was starting to come apart. I was also concerned about the belt situation. A mechanic told me I would be better off replacing the whole compressor than just the clutch assy. I ordered a replacement on ebay with the accumulator & oil etc - had it installed. BIG BIG Mistake. Now I can't get the inside cool during the day (after the sun goes down it is acceptable) whereas B4, I could freeze you out of the truck. Rechecked the freon it's OK. Mechanic said the aftermarket compressor is at fault. Maybe that's why it was 200 bucks compared to 600 for a Ford compressor (or whatever it was) I guess you get what you pay for. If your a/c works as good as mine DID, I'd leave the compressor alone & just try & get the clutch replaced if I could.

Good Luck - I wonder what FORD would chage to replace the clutch only?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:41 AM
wade3rd
New User
F150 AC Compressor Clutch went bye bye

I just had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday. My clutch froze up and here cometh the hot air........ It was making a lot of racket, so I pulled over and realized that I was either going to go through a lot of money real quick, OR, I was going to try to find a way to get out of this "inexpensively". So, I went down and bought a AC bypass pulley at AutoZone for thirty nine bucks. I just put it on this evening. That will give me the time to study this situation and find out which is the best way to go from here. I have a mechanic friend who says that when a clutch goes out, it's actually just a $13.00 bearing that needs replaced. It's just tough getting to it. Apparently thats what the rebuild guys do, is replace that bearing. So, I'm in search of this bearing now. I'll let you know what I find out. Good luck with yours. See ya down the road......hopefully we will both have cool refreshing air blowing on our faces....................

Old 05-22-2010, 10:00 AM
billybubba
Junior User
I'm really regretting opening up that system to replace the compressor. I have to say B4 changing the whole unit (instead of the bearing or clutch) my truck was the coldest vehicle I've ever sat in. Now, it feels like I can't pull the temp below 78' F. Then I wonder if the rebuilt after-market compressor I bought is the same as a FORD unit or not. I thought either a compressor worked, or it didn't work. I'm being told that mine 'kinda-works' and I'm nor really buying that. Is it true a compressor can work but only do 70% of what it should? I don't know. Good luck. If I had to do it again, I'd say don't open the system & hust fix the clutch or bearing.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:37 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 872 Likes on 724 Posts
Yes, a compressor can be "weak". Also, an improperly vacuumed system will give the same symptom due to moisture in the system as will an improperly "oiled" system.

Unless you have a manifold gauge set to use for diagnostics, you're really just pi$$ing into the wind, though..

Old 05-23-2010, 12:31 AM
redwood
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Yes, a compressor can be "weak". Also, an improperly vacuumed system will give the same symptom due to moisture in the system as will an improperly "oiled" system.

Unless you have a manifold gauge set to use for diagnostics, you're really just pi$$ing into the wind, though..
Agreed. The system HAS to be properly vacuumed down to function properly once it's charged....

Old 05-23-2010, 11:02 PM
billybubba
Junior User
I wouldn't know what to do with the gauges if I had them. I remember the mechanic telling me he had it on a vaccum for 45 min to an hour. The compressor I ordered came with an accumulator and a small bottle of oil. When I brought it back to him saying it wasn't getting cool inside, he connected the gauges, started the engine & watched. He said he used the specified ounces of freon (whatever that was) and just to humor me, he added a little. He said if it was low in freon, one of the gauges would move? Nothing happened, so he took the extra freon back out. Then he seemed like he wasn't sure where it was, because he said he usually markes the level before he starts a job - so he knows what level he was at, but in my case forgot to mark the sightglass, so he wasn't completely sure what is in there now.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 AM
wade3rd
New User
2000 f150 A/C issues in Sweltering TEXAS!!

Well, After purchasing an A/C clutch, to put on the compressor, I realized that the compressor was bad too. Hell, everything was bad.... I went down to Auto Air in Houston and purchased a new compressor, with clutch, new dryer, and new orifice tube, for a little less than $200 bucks. Decided to try to install myself instead of paying someone $1200 to do the same thing. So, I spent the entire evening last night putting these items on my truck, while getting bitten by about 30 mosquitoes (This is true!!, I have the marks to prove it!!) and thinking, "you know, I think it would be worth $1200 for me to not have to do this...." Naaaaa , It's Worth It!!!! I figure I saved well over $900. I spent a few more bucks on Freon, vacuumed it down and POOF, I've got "Conditioned Air" again. And it was 90 degrees yesterday here in Houston. Heck, it's worth it just to keep the mosquitoes out of your truck. The hardest part is getting the spring lock connections apart. All of the prework you have to do just to get to the dryer and lines that go into the firewall. Wow. It was tough, but entirely worth it. And I learned a LOT. I know how to replace a basic ac system now. That will pay for itself time and time again. Especially in Texas.