1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Got my F150 Today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Superred2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my F150 Today!

I just purchased an 86 F-150 SWB Regular cab with 300 and 4 speed, 4x4. I got it for $500 and am working on getting it in good shape. I noticed on the way home, it has A/C but it doesn't work. The blower doesn't even really blow hard out of the vents. I'm thinking about $500 should replace all of the A/C components, but what should I do about the blower?

Also, neither the temp or fuel gauge work. Would that be related to the gauges or something else? I thought since they were on top of each other, it may be the gauge cluster.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
One word of warning. You need to figure out how everything works, and then repair whats needed. If you install all new parts, and it still doesn't work, you will be disappointed, and I can pretty much guarantee that's what's going to happen. A few days of research on the internet should get you up to speed on the A/C system, and you can decide if you can deal with it or not.

If I were to guess on your air flow problem, it would be there is a bunch of junk down in the vent system, and the A/C core inside the black box is clogged with trash and possibly even a mouse nest. It's a little bit of work, but if you take all the bolts loose under the hood and I believe I remember there was a few under the dash, and pull the housing off under the hood, you may find watches, pencils, and the A/C core clogged. I cleaned this stuff out of my system, and believe me, these trucks do not need any help in the HVAC department when it's all unclogged and working.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Superred2
Senior User
Thanks for the advise. I may need to get a manual and learn the inner workings of the truck. I really love it and it's going to be fun. Thanks again.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i also would not recommend replacing everything in your ac system. You may be able to just replace some leaking o rings, fill her back up, and be good to go. id get a textbook on ac repair and do some reading before you start throwing parts at it

Old 06-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Superred2
Senior User
I've got the Chilton's Manual on order right now. Thanks again for all of the advise.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you really plan on keeping an fixing up the truck, then you should check into getting the shop manual from Helm Inc.

Helm Incorporated: Product Search Engine

Old 06-08-2010, 03:40 PM
smashclash
Elder User
i have a very similar truck only it's a 302. it's coming along and my A/C doesn't work either. it's not a priority to look at yet but will be soon. i see people on craigslist advertising r12 still so i might try to score one of them rather than convert.

P.S. you didn't just read that.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:05 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I will also recommend the Ford factory shop manuals, they FAR exceed the aftermarket books
in both quality & quantity.

They're also available at various resellers and sometimes eBay.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had that exact same truck. It had all the same problems and I never got around to the A/C system because the condenser and compressor were missing since i got it.

As far as the temp and gas gauges are concerned, look to the sensors and wiring first. It is seldom the gauges.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:34 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the forum,Superred2!

Do inexpensive things first. Regarding poor air flow from the vents, as Franklin2 said, it could be trash or a varment nest. After raising your hood, take the negative cable off the battery. Next, look to the left and near the firewall, and you will see the backside of the blower motor. It bolts into the duct work. There are 4 (I believe) screws which hold it in place. One of the screws will have a clamp holding the two wires powering the fan. Carefully unplug the electrical connection and then the screws. The fan will now come out. Be careful, there is a foam gasket which might crumble. They are still available at Ford, but you can make one with household window weatherstripping.

Now, with a glove on [safety], reach through the round opening as far as you can to the right [probably 18+ inches] and you most likely will find 25 years worth of ground leaves and maybe, if lucky a critter nest. Pull all of this out. Once clean, you will actually be able to touch the A/C condensor. Now do the same while reaching left. Leaves go that way to what is left of what would have been a kick panel fresh air vent, if your truck had not been equiped with factory A/C. By removing, you help prevent mold and rust. Replace the blower assembly [with gasket], connect the wires and battery cable [a good time to clean battery connections, if needed] and you are good to go!

This may take about 1 hour, but will not cost anything. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Superred2
Senior User
Thanks 1986F150six! I'm planning on getting that done tonight and will let you know what I find. I am going to look at the sensors next as they may be just unplugged. I've pulled the doors apart and painted the inner panels and replaced all of the weather stripping around the window glass and replaced the speakers while I was in there. I also replaced the grill with a factory new one I picked up on Ebay for $16.00! I have to fix the rear sliding glass, the A/C, I think I'm going to get the carb rebuilt and that should do it.

I really love the truck and I plan on keeping it for a while.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:59 PM
smashclash
Elder User
Originally Posted by Superred2
Thanks 1986F150six! I'm planning on getting that done tonight and will let you know what I find. I am going to look at the sensors next as they may be just unplugged. I've pulled the doors apart and painted the inner panels and replaced all of the weather stripping around the window glass and replaced the speakers while I was in there. I also replaced the grill with a factory new one I picked up on Ebay for $16.00! I have to fix the rear sliding glass, the A/C, I think I'm going to get the carb rebuilt and that should do it.

I really love the truck and I plan on keeping it for a while.
Where did you get the weather stripping that fits inside and outside the glass? I might be on the market for those inserts as well.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Superred2
Senior User
i actually got the kit off of Ebay. It was by Precision Weatherstripping and it turned out very nice. I just finished up the passenger door today and it looks great.

Oh yeah, I pulled the fan motor off as suggested by 1986F150six and was he ever right! There was a nest in there that was unbelievable so I pulled it all out and then took the shop vac and vacuumed everything out. It took about an hour and now the air blows strong. It is now time to fix the A/C.

I can spin the compressor with my hand so it doesn't seem to be frozen up. I may take it somewhere and let them throw a charge to it to see if it works. I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with it now, it may just need a charge to be good to go.

One other thing, I've read a tremendous amount about changing carbureators, intakes and etc. I feel like the carb could be rebuilt as it runs rough at idle. It has a manual choke so I know the electronic choke is gone. Should I get it rebuilt, or replace it with something else? I'm not concerned with making it a race truck, I want reliability.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On the A/C I suggest pulling the pressure switch connector off the dryer, jump the two wires in the connector, start the motor, turn the A/C on for just a couple seconds... The A/C Compressor clutch should engage and turn the pump... This will give you a better indication of the direction you need to go.

If the clutch works and the compressor sounds good, vacuum it down and hold to test for leaks, no leaks charge it and see what happens.

A good A/C thread: A/C Info

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Superred2
Senior User
Ooh, nice tip! I'm doing it in the morning. Also been reading lots about the Duraspark conversion. I'm going to the junkyard on Monday to see what I can find.