Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

anyone familiar with the pull a part in Nasville?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 AM
willy3486
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone familiar with the pull a part in Nasville?

Anyone familiar with the pull a part in Nashville? I am looking for a few junkyards to go to on Friday and saw it online. I saw that they have three Ford Focus cars but all were set out in March. I was wondering if they have been out that long if the parts I need are already gone. I want to go out looking no more than two hours away from my house. The more I look at my daughters car the more I think it will be worth fixing. I was thinking about maybe going to fanns in Manchester as someone suggested but I am open to Lebanon,Crossville,Murfreesboro,Chartridge areas as well. The problem I am running into I am finding I can order newer for about the same price . I have been wondering and I would love to know why these yards ask as much or more for used then they will sell me a new part for? It doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. How do they make their money? I would think you would make more by selling more items for less. Anyway I stopped at one place yesterday and they estimated 1 grand for the front clip. I can wait and buy a whole car for that. If anyone knows a economical pull it yourself yard let me know.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Its off Briley park way; on the north west side of town exit 26 (Cenntential blvd.) Cost one dollar to get in unless your military; its free. All fords are together etc with chevy imports and so on. Can't take a jack in; but everything else is pretty much allow. They provide a decent wheel barrow. I go about once a month. As I mention on your daughter wreck forum page; We're heading up to Louisville Pull-a-part tommorow morning.
Pull-a-part website is hit & miss. Also their marking on year models; but over all excellent source for parts. All vehicles are off the ground on car rims welded together; allows easier access to under vehicles. If your need too once you go inside; ask a rep to print out a receipt; each role of cars has a # and on that roll will be your particular vehicle, most of the time. No one under 16 or 18 allow in as well! They take cash & credit cards; don't know about checks. Prices are the same whether its a Jaguar or Jeep.
Also some new stuff sometimes isn't on the rolls; and they are place sometimes towards the back of the entire yard. Yard is all gravel and pretty clean.
Hope this helps.

Mitch
There's also a guy outsidethat sells hotdogs & drinks etc
Also you mention about others yards; off exit 35 I-24 west towards springfield is a yard; called Tennessee AUto Salavage; they pull the parts; don't know about the prices.

Clarksville has a pick-a-part; cash for cluckers; definatley no Focus mostly trucks Suv's 80-90's. Exit #1 I-24.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 PM
willy3486
Senior User
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't mind to hit it but I got lucky I think today. I found a yard 10 minutes from my house and got the radiator support for about half of a new one. That is about what I had in mind to pay. So I might get a list together and see what kind of deal they will make for cash. If they do a good enough I may just buy all from them. Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Your welcome. Went to Louisville Pull-a-part; same set-up as Nashville; but not as much as I was hoping for in regards to 70's & 60 model trucks. Alot of GM products; just shows more Fords are still on the road.

Mitch

Old 05-27-2010, 08:58 PM
willy3486
Senior User
Hopefully tomorrow will be a good day for us. I found one down in Chattanooga so the daughter and I are headed down at 6 in the morning. I found one the guy said I could get the front end for about 400 bucks. It has some blemishes but nothing that can't be fixed. But to get all we need it will be well worth it. But he needs to leave at noon his time so that will give us at the most 2-3 hours to pull it. But the radiator support has about 10 bolts,fenders about the same,the front bumper cover about 10, Then the AC and radiator only needs the hoses off. Add to it the engine is out so that will make it eaiser. So hopefully we are looking at less than 100 bolts off to get what we need. I have all the broke stuff out,metal fixed and ready for the new parts. Heck if I am really lucky I may even get it started before Tuesday. We plan on making the day of it.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the find in Chatty. This may turn out to be a fun bonding experience for you two.
Good luck.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:35 PM
willy3486
Senior User
We got the parts today. It was a good day as well. We spend quite a bit of time together but its nice to get out like today and make a road trip together.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Sounds like a day was in the making for a reasonable repair; I'm sure your daughter is thrill as well.
How was the salvage yard in Choo-choo land. Was it a pull-a-part or just local yard?

Mitch