Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2002, 06:40 PM
New User

58budman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post 1997 Interior and running board lights stay on

I was wondering if any of you have experienced this From time to time my Expeditions interior lights stay on as well as the running board lights as if a door is open but is not. Any suggestions??
Old 02-09-2002, 06:48 PM
Senior User

BigMick_97_Expy is starting off with a positive reputation.
1997 Interior and running board lights stay on

Mine are doing the same thing. Some times that stay on for a long time and some times not....
????????????????????????????

Big Mick

1997 Expedition XLT
K&N Air Intake
Hellwig Anti sway bar
Flow master
Plus extra mods.....
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=1440&.jpg

Flow master
Plus extra mods.....

Old 02-09-2002, 08:53 PM
New User

pete68 is starting off with a positive reputation.

The interior lights in our '97 Expy did the same thing when we first picked it up. You'll notice the "door ajar" switches on the Expy aren't the usual "push button" type you used to see on cars (I noticed this the first time when I was working on something with the door open and tried to find the button to cut off the light).

Anyway, one of these sensors isn't sensing the door is closed. Try to figure out which one by noticing which door is open before the problem occurs (this may take some time to determine if it isn't the driver's side front door- since this door is presumably opened each time you take the truck somewhere). The fault in ours was the rear driver's side door. Our Ford dealer fixed the problem (I'm trying to remember how... I think he pried up the sensor cover- he DID say that spraying WD-40 down into the sensor area usually does the trick).

Good luck! BTW, the reason the lights sometimes stay on for a long time is because there is an automatic light cutoff even if the door is left ajar. Also, to really check if this is the cause, pay attention to the dash panel when the lights stay on... if the sensor is the problem, you will see the "Door Ajar" light shining.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:05 PM
New User

58budman is starting off with a positive reputation.

Great thanks for the info I will try to spray the sensors and see if that helps it It only seems to bother in the real cold weather. Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:10 AM
Junior User

Boxter is starting off with a positive reputation.

I had a friend of mine that had the same issue. However, it was always after his wife drove the truck. After thinking about it for a minute or 2 I thought about the interior switch for the lights (the turn up or down the interior lights on the dash). In the up position, all the lights (including the running board lights) would come on.

When she would get into the truck, she was somehow hitting the switch and turning the lights on.

Prob not the case here, but worth a look (cheap repair).

Boxter
Old 02-12-2002, 02:14 PM
Elder User

adelyser is starting off with a positive reputation.

'88 F-250 SC Diesel 4x4, 7.3 NA, 4.10's
Old 02-12-2002, 08:19 PM
New User

TJM97_expy is starting off with a positive reputation.

Had the same problem with my 97 E.B. the dealer fixed it by replacing the "pin switch"he stated it was a common problem. good luck

Tom

Old 02-12-2002, 08:19 PM