6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Anyone who OWNS a 6.7, Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:38 AM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idaspud
Hi Mobey, what do you mean by " not chipping or programming the 6.0"???

Has this made any difference? I have not been following what has happend if you chip a 6.0 and I have thought about doing it but is there a problem? Thanks,
There is really clear evidence that 6.0 chip/reprogrammed trucks have more problems then the one left totally stock. I have 2 6.0s a 05 and a 06 the 05 has 138,400 miles on it and it’s never been back to a dealer for any Powertrain/Drivetrain work. The 06 has had a few minor problems. (118,000 miles) Right after I installed a Spartan tune. Needles to say it came out and hasn’t been back.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:09 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MobeyDick
There is really clear evidence that 6.0 chip/reprogrammed trucks have more problems then the one left totally stock. I have 2 6.0s a 05 and a 06 the 05 has 138,400 miles on it and it’s never been back to a dealer for any Powertrain/Drivetrain work. The 06 has had a few minor problems. (118,000 miles) Right after I installed a Spartan tune. Needles to say it came out and hasn’t been back.
As I recall back in the day, quite a few of the TSBs with the 6.0 involved reprogramming. Seems to me that a tuner will have trouble tuning the base ECU program reliably when even Ford, with numerous tries, was having trouble.

So tuners screwed with a screwed up program (at least at first). Not a recipe for reliability.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:02 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Ford rarely if ever gets anything right the first try. I know this first hand. I'd keep that truck you have seeing as it's been very trouble free. You can't put a price on that.

Give these new 6.7's a few years so Ford can work the bugs out.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:38 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Broketaxpayer
Nothing against mexico, but if I'm dropping $50K it will be an American build machine. My tools (all my tools - 2005 F350 4x4 included) are made in USA.
I hate to break the news to ya! but your truck has parts from USA,MEXICO and CANADA

Old 05-29-2010, 06:00 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jwhitetail
I hate to break the news to ya! but your truck has parts from USA,MEXICO and CANADA
An interesting point.

Americans have been buying Canadian-built cars and trucks and cars and trucks with major Canadian components from the "Big 3" for decades (where do you think the "Windsor" in the 351W came from?), but only when the cars and trucks starting being built in Mexico did people start championing "Buying American".

Old 05-29-2010, 06:21 AM
boats313
Junior User
Look at it this way, we are providing decent jobs in Mexico. The more good jobs south of the boarder the less people will travel north. Think of it as a way to slow immigration.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:33 AM
CGiron
Senior User
US quality?

Originally Posted by Broketaxpayer
Nothing against mexico, but if I'm dropping $50K it will be an American build machine. My tools (all my tools - 2005 F350 4x4 included) are made in USA.
You better stay with the crappy 6,0 and 6,4 litre diesels made by Navistar. Genuine US quality...

OR you might realize that this 6,7-litre superengine is Ford-developed and severly tested in the US during years and produced in Fords own factory in Mexico under strictest control but with a much lower labourcost.

The advantage is that Ford US is making more profit.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 AM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
nice truck!!! needs some hauling. lol

Old 05-29-2010, 07:04 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Originally Posted by CGiron
You better stay with the crappy 6,0 and 6,4 litre diesels made by Navistar. Genuine US quality...

OR you might realize that this 6,7-litre superengine is Ford-developed and severly tested in the US during years and produced in Fords own factory in Mexico under strictest control but with a much lower labourcost.

The advantage is that Ford US is making more profit.

Well put....without a pofitable Ford there are no quality engineered products....with good management, they should be able to get good quality out of their Mexican facility.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by onug
Keep it...You've got a proven truck that's many times less complicated than the new model.
Maybe so, but in some ways the 6.7 is actually a lot less complicated...and is definitely easier to work on. You can have the turbo off in 1 HOUR with the CAB ON.

The 6.7 is a lot more modern, but there are many simple (and intelligent) solutions to 6.0/6.4 stupidity.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:21 PM
gamana
New User
Nice truck and, as said by others, you have the ability of wait. I am sure by the third quarter of this year we will know better about the 2011, might even have better rebates.

Now, more important that the year of your TV, your Airstream ROCKS = a true american icon....

Old 05-29-2010, 02:48 PM
bluescrew
Elder User
i didnt know you can work on the new trucks.... i thought they were all cab off too..

Old 05-29-2010, 03:20 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by gamana
Nice truck and, as said by others, you have the ability of wait. I am sure by the third quarter of this year we will know better about the 2011, might even have better rebates.

Now, more important that the year of your TV, your Airstream ROCKS = a true american icon....
My AIRSTREAM year model is a 2010 25' International CCD Signature series.. Just bought it in February. I'm 42 years old and my wife and I are planning our retiremant in advance. Buying it now while we have disposable income. ......
Taking it to Key WEST in 11 days, just my son and I. He's 17. We're gonna stay a week back up to the ocean. Gonna take our time and spend about 2-3 days driving there and the same coming home. Snorkeling, fishing, and just relaxing....

5'oclock style,...in paradise.

SHane

Old 05-29-2010, 05:38 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by sammy77
Keep in mind, there a more 6.0's out there than anything else.
Sorry, but there is no way there are more 6.0s than 7.3s. The 7.3s will last forever 400, 500 thousand miles and beyond. I don't have anyway to prove that but I just know it's got to be true.

Last edited by BigF350; 06-01-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:31 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Myself...personally speaking...I would keep the truck. I have had almost no trouble of out my '04. There's only 77k showing on the odometer, so she's no high mileage rig...but I still love the truck and wouldn't trade it for anything. I've still got 2 more years on my note (bought her used in '07). The only reason I'd part with the truck is if it was totaled. When I bought the truck I planned on having it for 15 years. At that point, I plan to keep it, but shouldn't need to support two teenagers when we travel. Now I'm not going to lie; I'd like to take one of the new '11 with the 6.7L for a spin & kick the tires. But I don't need a longer note or another set of payments.
Originally Posted by cheezit
lets see...
2 towed in no start batterys dead off of the transporter.
2 with src lines damaged in transport.
1 with about 400 miles on it the and the crank spins and cam doesnt.... no other other info on this yet.

I like my sick.o
To me, only one of those to raise a red flag...the no spin on the cam & the dead batteries. Though you have to ask, how long did the batteries sit on a shelf/pallet before they were installed in the truck? When you have folks abusing equipment beyond what it was designed for...the failed product gets the blame, not the goober doing the damage.
Originally Posted by sammy77
Where do you think most of the Ford parts come from?? (including your six0)
I don't know about your truck...but my '04 was built at KTP with an engine from Huntsville, AL. Yeah, the springs have "Made in Mexico" on them...but the I know allot of fellow Southerners put her together and she's riding on rubber made here in the states. FoMoCo has been moving some production back from Mexico, though how much is because of political/tax pressures and not QA is beyond my knowledge.
Originally Posted by idaspud
Hi Mobey, what do you mean by " not chipping or programming the 6.0"???

Has this made any difference? I have not been following what has happend if you chip a 6.0 and I have thought about doing it but is there a problem? Thanks,
Some of the issue with "chipped" 6.0L is over-boosting the engine and running the EGT way up there...both cause serous damage. I've heard horror stories of chips causing the heads to lift when the TTY bolts were over stressed. Talking to several Ford PSD techs and from what I've experienced with my truck. In stock form, the 6.0L is an amazing engine...it makes more power, can get better MPG and meets Tier requirements the 7.3L could only dream of. And it's a smaller engine on top of that. A well maintained 6.0L should see 250k miles without allot of issues. I forget who made the comment, but any of the first year trucks have had issues. Anyone remember the fire-breathing 6.4L in the Pacific NW from a couple of years ago? The 6.4L hadn't been out a full year when that video popped up on YouTube. Yes, the 7.3L had fewer problems from the get go than the 6.0L...I still say a stock 6.0L will take a stock '02 7.3L any day of the week.

Quick Reply: Anyone who OWNS a 6.7, Problems??