2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

First post---Hello all..2007 expedition lim. EL

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:23 PM
unreal72
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post---Hello all..2007 expedition lim. EL

Hi everybody, brand new user here. I have been using this site quite often as a resource since I bought my new 2007 expedition el limited (not even a month ago). I have a bunch of questions since this is my first Ford vehicle. Because of this site I learned about reprogramming the trans and now it runs much smoother.

a couple initial questions: am I the only one that is bothered by the noisy plastic on the middle counsel? Is there a fix?

Next, I feel like I'm leaning and pulling (it is pulling for sure) to whatever side of the rode I'm on. Is this because the truck is so heavy?

do transmissions warm up?

I appreciate any comments and look forward to talking

J

Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome Unreal, we're glad to have you here. I don't have the same model as you so I can't comment on the console. The pulling could be caused by many things, unequal tire pressure, alignment, etc, but you said both sides of the road. If the road leans right, the truck is gonna want to go right and left if the road slopes to the left.

Finally, yes transmission do warm up, in fact they can get quite hot especially when pulling a load and excessive heat is usually the cause of a tranmission's early demise.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:20 PM
unreal72
Freshman User
thanks

Thanks for the response. I do feel like the leaning/pulling is based on the road but it just seems to be much more drastic and noticable than my 07 silverado. no biggy I guess.

as far as the tranny question, I was just wondering if a warmed up tran runs smoother than a cold one. Like I said, this is new to me and I have no mechanical experience. I just really enjoy reading posts from people who know their stuff and try to keep up. and even learn something along the way.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM
pathology knight
New User
welcome. i'm new to the site to.
i just got my first exp about 6 weeks ago. it's a 2007 EL EB.

i've never noticed anything about the console, but i did have to realign both front door. the pass door wasn't sitting flush and the drivers door had a bunch of wind noise. i adjusted both doors and put some weatherstipping/foam tape on the inside (top) of the drivers door and it fixed that problem.

i would check the tires and alignment on the car to be safe. i've never noticed any pulling on my. it drives pretty straight and true. of course brand new tires were put on when i bought it.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 AM
unreal72
Freshman User
Originally Posted by pathology knight
welcome. i'm new to the site to.
i just got my first exp about 6 weeks ago. it's a 2007 EL EB.

i've never noticed anything about the console, but i did have to realign both front door. the pass door wasn't sitting flush and the drivers door had a bunch of wind noise. i adjusted both doors and put some weatherstipping/foam tape on the inside (top) of the drivers door and it fixed that problem.

i would check the tires and alignment on the car to be safe. i've never noticed any pulling on my. it drives pretty straight and true. of course brand new tires were put on when i bought it.
Hi!The console noise is the sound of creeky plastic while I drive. Its starting to bug me....might not be fixable though. I do have some wind noise but it doesnt seem that bad, so for now, I'm going to assume mine is normal. Just making conversation: I really like the look of my 20" wheels on my limited but would prefer the softer ride that you get with the 18" ( i think thats what on the EB???) Coming from a 2007 silverado, It seems I can feel every little bump in the road.One last thing, just being picky, why can I feel the pulse of my windshield wipers in my brake pedal when stopped? Just curious if anyone knows?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:07 AM
pathology knight
New User
i've got factory 20's on my EB. i went with it because i like the two-tone leather and the two-tone paint versus the limited. it drives really smooth. plus, it's got all the options that i wanted.
is your plastic lid squeeking? you might try lining the underside with some black foam tape. that way, when it's closed, it's some cushion under it and it's not plastic on plastic. just an idea.
i've never noticed anything with the wiper pulse during a stop.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:31 AM
unreal72
Freshman User
Originally Posted by pathology knight
i've got factory 20's on my EB. i went with it because i like the two-tone leather and the two-tone paint versus the limited. it drives really smooth. plus, it's got all the options that i wanted.
is your plastic lid squeeking? you might try lining the underside with some black foam tape. that way, when it's closed, it's some cushion under it and it's not plastic on plastic. just an idea.
i've never noticed anything with the wiper pulse during a stop.
I really liked the two leather as well, but the light colored carpet would get trashed here in michigan. I'm not sure if its the lid or what? The foam tape is a good idea...i will try it for sure. how are you adjusting to the transmission? i.e., kind of jerk in the lower gears (1st and 2nd?)

Old 05-20-2010, 10:13 AM
pathology knight
New User
my carpet is black with the catch-all black floor mats.
there's not a lot to move around in the console, so try the tape and see. it's usually with the weatherstripping in hardware stores.

my transmission is fine. it didn't need any adjustment and doesn't jerk at all. if yours does, disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for awhile to reset the computer. i've heard that helps. i didn't have to do that, but that's what i've heard. mine is smooth sailing.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM
unreal72
Freshman User
nice

nice...it sounds like you got a good one, how many miles?...I had my trans reprogrammed / flashed last week and it improved the trans a lot. It's smooth, just not as smooth as my silverado, but it is 6000 lbs.! I gotta get some of those catch all mats. I still have the cheap ones that came from the dealer. Do you have some pics of your ride? I'm not sure if I can upload pics because of my basic membership.Do you know if I can replace my running boards with step up bars?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:56 PM
pathology knight
New User
i really like it so far. it's got about 40k on it. these are big, heavy rigs, but it's still pretty smooth. i don't have any pics right now.
you should have the power running boards on the limited, so wouldn't recommend changing them, but i suppose you could if you wanted to. that's another reason why i went with the EB, the running boards aren't power. that's a cool feature, but i wouldn't really use it.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 PM
unreal72
Freshman User
running boards

I actually don't have power running boards...they are the cheap plastic ones. anyway....not a big deal. enjoy your ride

Old 05-21-2010, 05:50 PM
gddyup
Senior User
My 07 Limited EL doesn't have the power boards either. I bought mine used last year. It's a "basic" limited withoutt he 20" option, no nav, and without the power 3/4 windows and roof. But.... it only had 14k on the clock and it was more than worth the price I paid for it after trading the 03 Screw I had at the time.

If you're in Michigan I would imagine that your road crown is a few degrees more than what we have here in NH. As long as your tire pressures are accurate and similar across the 4 wheels and your alignment is in spec, I'll wager that your crown has more to do with a slight pull than anything. A good alignment shop in your area could adjust your specs to the limits of factory settings to help alleviate your drift, or go just outside them if you're willing to complain a little bit.

As far as your interior noises, I have similar issues. Right now it's warmer and getting more so up here in NH so the noises are no where near as pronounced as they were in the middle of January. I just chalk it up to the cheapo plastic Ford used "much to liberally" throughout their interior on these "more expensive" SUVs. If/when it starts to REALLY bug me, I'll get some felt tape and tear everything apart and tape the bejeezus out of it till it's nice and quiet like.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:50 PM
unreal72
Freshman User
thanks

Originally Posted by gddyup
My 07 Limited EL doesn't have the power boards either. I bought mine used last year. It's a "basic" limited withoutt he 20" option, no nav, and without the power 3/4 windows and roof. But.... it only had 14k on the clock and it was more than worth the price I paid for it after trading the 03 Screw I had at the time.

If you're in Michigan I would imagine that your road crown is a few degrees more than what we have here in NH. As long as your tire pressures are accurate and similar across the 4 wheels and your alignment is in spec, I'll wager that your crown has more to do with a slight pull than anything. A good alignment shop in your area could adjust your specs to the limits of factory settings to help alleviate your drift, or go just outside them if you're willing to complain a little bit.

As far as your interior noises, I have similar issues. Right now it's warmer and getting more so up here in NH so the noises are no where near as pronounced as they were in the middle of January. I just chalk it up to the cheapo plastic Ford used "much to liberally" throughout their interior on these "more expensive" SUVs. If/when it starts to REALLY bug me, I'll get some felt tape and tear everything apart and tape the bejeezus out of it till it's nice and quiet like.
you make some really good points...thanks for the feed back and suggestions.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Boomer1956
Cross-Country
To Pathology.. I have a 07 EL Limited I bought new. I don't think power running boards were available on a 07. Only thing I don't have is back-up sensors and the wing windows.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:18 PM
unreal72
Freshman User
winged windows?

the back up sensors are very nice....

Quick Reply: First post---Hello all..2007 expedition lim. EL