1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:51 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring

Who has the best wiring for my 51 ? So many out there !!! SOME ONE PLUG ME IN !!!!!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Everyone likes the EZ kits.

I prefer to rewire from scratch. See this article:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ing-101-a.html

Start at Post #7 and page throught the instructions. Timblindyce is rewiring at the moment using those instructions and is documenting it on this post:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ustom-cab.html

Old 05-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I rewired my truck from scratch. Then I thought I'd make it easy on myself and rewire the next one with a kit (used an EZ kit). The kit was fine so far as quality, etc., but I won't use one again. It gets confusing when you don't know how they wired up their fuse block connections (a problem I never had when doing it myself).

Furthermore, when you do it yourself you gain intimate knowledge and experience that will help you with any trouble shooting.

-James

Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Ron Francis is arguably the best (and most expensive) but most kits are fine, kina get what you pay for thing. I also belong to the fraternity of addicted self wirers, but I’m going for consulting!

It doesn’t matter which wiring kit you use though it will still sit too low with dropped spindles.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Blue50F-1
I rewired my truck from scratch. Then I thought I'd make it easy on myself and rewire the next one with a kit (used an EZ kit). The kit was fine so far as quality, etc., but I won't use one again. It gets confusing when you don't know how they wired up their fuse block connections (a problem I never had when doing it myself).

Furthermore, when you do it yourself you gain intimate knowledge and experience that will help you with any trouble shooting.

-James
Absolutely!

And despite what it may look like at the moment (Wife of Frankenstein on a bad hair day), the wiring in the trucks is VERY simple and straightforward.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:42 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought an EZ wire mini kit, I would suggest the standard size fuse kit or as Julie and James posted, wire it yourself. I would do that in a heartbeat. It may have actually been a little easier. But, this is being said with the experience of wiring the entire truck under my belt. Plus, I think it's would look cool to have the box under the hood where the old voltage reg was or better yet hollow one out and put the block under that.

It's really not a hard job, when I used my kit I also references Julies PP block diagrams and I did pull their harness setup apart. It was just too confusing, it was easier for me to just start from scratch, they are however, a great kit for the price.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by norvillebob
I bought an EZ wire mini kit, I would suggest the standard size fuse kit or as Julie and James posted, wire it yourself. I would do that in a heartbeat. It may have actually been a little easier. But, this is being said with the experience of wiring the entire truck under my belt. Plus, I think it's would look cool to have the box under the hood where the old voltage reg was or better yet hollow one out and put the block under that.

It's really not a hard job, when I used my kit I also references Julies PP block diagrams and I did pull their harness setup apart. It was just too confusing, it was easier for me to just start from scratch, they are however, a great kit for the price.
Good ideas there Bob. I'll echo what you said too.

If I had it to do all over, I'd do it again (heh, anybody remember that song? ) Anyway--I think I'd ****** up another EZ kit. I like their block and prefer the blade style fuses for safety and ease of replacement. Besides that I don't think you could get enough wire anywhere near as cheaply as you do with the kits. But I'd definitely take it apart this time 1)so that I know how everything is hooked up "behind the scenes" so to speak, in the back of the fuse block, 2)so that it would be easier to run wires through firewalles, door jams, etc. 3) so that it would be easier to remove unwanted wires (they suggest just cutting out the ones you KNOW you won't use...after installation...and only after considering if you'll EVER want that power window circuit, etc.). The connectors in the back of the blade style blocks are just spring clips, so a small flat screwdriver will pop them loose--no damage and easy to reassemble.

(Can you tell I'm kinda kicking myself for not thinking of that BEFORE I wired the second car?)

-James

Old 05-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
LOL, so basically you are buying a harness kit to take apart and use the individual wires to wire your self. That's kinda funny!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WIRING

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME !!! BUY THE EZ KIT FOR THE WIRES AND GO FROM THERE. THANKS PEOPLE WILL POST PIC. SOON.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:14 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

-James
I think that I'll start a wiring company called "Not So EZ Wiring".

Old 05-24-2010, 11:23 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I too vote for the EZ Wire kit as the best bang for the buck, I was very pleasantly surprised at the shear weight of the wire in the kit, cheaper by the pound than decent hamburger!! There is a wire and circuits in it for almost any possible electrical component or accessory you might possibly want to use in your truck, and unless you are wiring up a major show truck it's unlikely you'll need all of them. It's not necessary nor even desirable to dissassemble the whole thing tho, first thing you should do is stretch out the whole thing down a hallway or across the garage or even across the yard. Next go thru the wires one at a time seperating then into groups first by circuits you'll definitely need/use, accessories you will (likely) use, and circuits you'll definitely not need in the forseeable future (never say never!, you are likely to change your mind sometime down the road or some new gizmo you can't live without may come along. How many were using DVD players, GPS mapping, MP3 players, bluetooth devices, wi-fi or satellite internet in a vehicle 10 or 15 years ago?). spool up the groups into bundles. Find out from here or from the kit manufacturer how to release the connectors at the fuse block and carefully remove the "not needed" wires with their connectors, put them in a ziplock bag and put away somewhere you can find them later. That will put a fair amount of the spagetti of wires out of sight and mind.
Now take the "definitely need group" and sub divide into routing groups: engine compartment; front end lighting; inside cab; rear lighting. The needed accessory group will most likely be a subset to be added to the in cab group but keep them as seperate bundle for now unless they need to be routed with one of the outside the cab groups, then add them to that group. Coil each group into a 6" coil and tie or tape temporarily close to the fuse block (don't forget to label the coil!). Now that doesn't look so overwelming now does it! Decide where you will mount the fuse block where it will stay dry, be out of the way, but still be accessable should you blow a fuse or add back a few of those "don't need" circuits. Open one of the coils of wires and route the wires towards their final destination. Be sure to run them thru rubber grommets when going thru holes in metal, protect and organize them with loom or plastic tape, leave some slack for movement and disconnecting the wires or component they are attached to, add hangers about every foot or so, and tie off but do not shorten, terminate or connect at their final destination until you are 100% happy with their routing.
By dividing the task into running a couple to a less than a dozen wires at a time makes the whole job easy and you'll end up with something you can point to with pride and say "I did that!"!!!!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Yeah, so Ax pretty much has the instruction manual memorized.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:00 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Yeah, so Ax pretty much has the instruction manual memorized.
Yah, I'm one of that small strange minority who actually does read the instructions before diving into a project. Not only do I read them, I then make notes on them as I go along, then save them in a file! I have the instruction manuals for tools and equipment (and home electronics and appliances) I bought 20-30 years ago, and occasionally even go back and refer to them! Every few years, or when pulling out a manual for something else, I'll weed out literature for stuff that has gone on to the great scrap yard in the sky.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
That's a very smart thing to do!