1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilding my $150 78 bronco (they paid me to take it)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:08 AM
akforceten
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile rebuilding my $150 78 bronco (they paid me to take it)

hello to all. It started with a rusty 78 bronco with a fresh rebuilt 351m. the guy found me an wanted me to take it home, but i had to many projects going on. my wife decided she wanted it so she bought the bronco . it sat in the yard for a year an we ended up going are separate ways. I had been paid to haul away 87 f-150 4x4 xtra cab. i got it running and ended up trading the ex for the bronco. I didnt tell her i already had a 4"lift a non rusty front clip and doors and set of 35's . I ended up blowing up the 9" couldn't afford to rebuild it, so i swapped in d-60 i had in the back yard . I put on rear disc brake kit from TSM inc and had to have a new driveline made. Well the more i worked on the bronco the more rust i found plus i had a flint stone floor boards,also the front frame horns had cracked and someone attempted to weld the cracks and made it worse . i found a good tub and frame so for the last few months i have been swapping things over . Yesterday i dropped the new tub on to the frame . i still have a ton of work to do . I have been taking lots of pics.

You can see them at 1978 Ford Bronco pictures, photos, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

take a look an tell what you all think ! i am working on a real tight budget (lack of money) lol . i will keep adding pics. to supermotors as i get things put back together. I know its nothing super fancy, but its mine . i want to go wheeling ,tired of putting cars together, it got boring plus i am i into truck now . its time for me to stop typing now got to go work on the bronco now . so good bye for now

Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 AM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer my wrecks to be a little more put together. See the DonKo in my Garage.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 PM
mtufreerider
Junior User
awesome job!!! just amazing, im doing a frame off with my 78 but in a one car garage...... was wandering if you have any front radius arm brackets with the shock mounts. i cant find them anywhere, mine are bent to crap and cant get the shocks on. did you strip and paint the frame yourself??

bahanovi@mtu.edu

Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM
akforceten
Elder User
thank you and yes i stripped the frame and painted it i am working very tight budget so i get to do everything myself. i really don't mine doing everything, i call it a leaning experience.its pretty much stock except for the lift and d-60 rear axle . i do work in a wrecking yard ,so i will look around . it took while for me to get the dual shock set up. of course there will be more pics as i get things done .i just put some up of the bucket seats i got from a Mazda Navajo. passenger side seat was a direct bolt in ,the driver side seat needed some modification. i will let u know if i have those things mtufreerider

Old 05-25-2010, 03:14 PM
mtufreerider
Junior User
thanks!! Mine is going a lot slower than yours but im doing a lot of body work to mine and then gona try and stuff a 7.3L diesel into it. good luck and keep up with the pics.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:29 PM
akforceten
Elder User
Hello again,i had to pull the drivers seat again to move it over a 1/2" because my center console didn't fit. I have also added a 3g alternator to the motor plus cleaned it up an did some painting to the motor. Next i will be putting on a roll on bed liner in the tub. i did put more pics up at 1978 Ford Bronco pictures, photos, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net . an yes i have a set of shock mounts . i will keep posting as things progress

Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 AM
akforceten
Elder User
pics of bronco, now that i figured it out

here some pics of the bronco ,now that i figured out how to post them . i am better at wrenching than i am at computers.This is what i started with. this the new non cracked frame.this is 4"lift and d60 in rear with disc brakes

Old 06-05-2010, 11:48 AM
akforceten
Elder User
motor an trans in.drive lines,gas tank, bumper and hitch installed.getting ready to set body on frame.going down on frame smoothly.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:58 AM
akforceten
Elder User
success doors are on .mocking in Mazda Navajo bucket seats. don,t laugh at welds ,but modified front Navajo seat frame.rear frame needed to elongate both holes.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:04 PM
akforceten
Elder User
painted motor and put 3g alternator in.new/used intake for motor.an this whats left of old bronco . well that's all i have done for now . i will keep the pics coming

Old 06-05-2010, 12:33 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks great! Keep up the good work.

Do you have a 9 inch rear end you can send me? I need one for my Bronco.
I am sure you have one some where on those racks.

What kind of paint on the frame and engine parts?
I plan to start rebuilding a D44 for an SAS project and I want to paint the axle housings.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 PM
akforceten
Elder User
well the paint was ace hardware premium gloss black $2.00 a can the engine paint was placsi kote ford blue engine paint from local parts house i'm on a real tight budget so nothing special about the paint an yes the yard has a ford nine inch several around .need to call an talk to ryan he can give you a price plus shipping 541-382-1987 bend auto wreckers

Old 06-06-2010, 11:39 PM
mweeps
Senior User
Are you going to move the roll bar to the new one? I have only seen one other Bronco with one in a junkyard in WV.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 AM
akforceten
Elder User
i got that roll bar from a parts bronco years ago an yes im going to save it. don't know if its going in the new bronco yet . i kinda want to put a full cage in back for running without the top. my budget or lack of budget lol will determine what goes back there

Old 06-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Julian_Cofer
New User
Awesome!! can't wait to rip mine apart.

Quick Reply: rebuilding my $150 78 bronco (they paid me to take it)