Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Junior User

Mike821 is starting off with a positive reputation.
04 F250 XLT 5.4L questions

Hello all!

I am looking at a 04 F250 XLT SC LB with a 5.4L V8 PFI SOHC 16V that has 114mi on it. One owner and a clear CarFax. I am going to take a look at the truck on Monday. Here are some questions I have if some folks are so kind to answer them....

* How many miles (est) can you get out of a 5.4L.
* At 114mi, what will have to be replaced under normal use?
* What is the average mpg for the 5.4L

The dealership is asking $13.500 for the truck. One owner with a clear Car Fax. The truck looks sharp.

Just to make you laugh....My wife is expecting our second child. I had a 05 F350 CC PSD 6.0 and sold it for a Honda Odyssey. (what the #%#@ was I thinking right) Well, my wife is happy and I am driving a rice burner Honda Accord. I was having major issues with the 6.0 PSD...previous owner did not take care of it..so I sold it. Good move...but I lost my truck The other day my daughter said...Daddy...When are you going to get another truck? I looked at my wife (in the dam min-van...and smiled) She said that Daddy can get another truck...but would have to get rid of the Honda AccordClick the image to open in full size.. I GOT THE GREEN LIGHT!!!! This brings me to this point....buying another truck.

I don't have a great deal of cash to spend and would like to stay under 14G's. This truck looks like a well maintained truck. I am just unfamiliar with the 5.4L V8 PFI SOHC 16V engine. Some folks say it is a GREAT bullet proof engine if taken care of.

Can anyone give me any pointers or info please? I know an Oasis report would be a good place to start.

Thanks guys...it feels good to be able to post once again on FTE. With good intentions I will be a regular real soon.

Mike821

Old 05-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Postmaster

Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome back to the FTE.

The 5.4 has a good reputation for a long life, as there are several here that have 3 to 400,000 miles on theirs with only minor problems and it seems that if you do the regular maint. and use good brand of oil, I use Mobil 1, you should,in time, reach the same mileage figures. If you neglect the truck it can get very painful in a hurry.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Senior User

MadMatt65 has a good reputation on FTE.MadMatt65 has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a 2004 XLT, 4x4, 5.4 ex-cab with about 168K on it and it still runs great. It had new timing chains, guides and tensioners installed (due to running too heavy oil), but thats another story! Make sure you run 5/20 or 5/30 as recommended. As Moto Mel says it can get VERY painful and expensive!!
As far as mileage goes, mine is a 4x4 with larger tires so I don't really keep track! But it is thirsty at times. Good luck!!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:10 PM