1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

00' Expy E.B - rear lower control arms RUST

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:23 AM
G Ford Fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00' Expy E.B - rear lower control arms RUST

I picked up my 00 Expy. E.B. on Friday and love it! I noticed there was some surface rust on the Left side of the core support and also the coating on the rear track bar was loose and looked rusty so I figured I'd scrape and paint that as well.

After I had the track bar done, I noticed the upper and lower rear control arms also looked rusty so I decided to do those as well while I was in there.

To say I was suprised would be an understatement. When I started scraping the lower control arms, my scraper went right THROUGH the control arm, near where it meets the axle housing. Both sides are TERRIBLE. They need replaced.

Since I bought this from a Ford dealer and they just inspected it (PA) I am going to call them to see if they will take care of this for me. It's a safety inspection item they should have caught when they inspected it, but unless you poked around it, you would probably not know it was as bad as it was. I'm just very glad I found it before it just let go, going down the road.

It seems like the coating Ford put on their suspension components is JUNK, it gets loose, then water/moisture gets underneath it and holds the moisture against the metal and it just eats it away. NOT GOOD.

I've NEVER seen a lower control arm that looked like this before. Unfortunately, I'm not permitted to post attachments, or I would.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can get a pair of the dealer will not address this for me? I saw several dealers on Ebay that have aftermarket beefy looking ones for about $250 for both.

Thoughts? The rest of the truch is VERY rust free and it's a beautiful rig for the age and mileage.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 AM
c_hohensee
Elder User
This is a common problem with these trucks, if you search this forum you will find alot of info. I recently replaced my upper, lower and track bar. Mine had not rusted through yet, but I knew from the postings on here that it was inevitable. These all came from PMT Fabrication. The trailing arms were bought off of eBay and at the time they did not list the track bar, so I purchased them directly from them. They are very well build and installed very easily.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 AM
G Ford Fan
Senior User
Thanks Craig,

I did do a search for rear lower control arm rust, but did not find anything.

I checked a few websites for OEM and they are approx 140.00 EACH, so I would likely just get the ones from Ebay if the dealer will not address this for me (they should).

Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 AM
c_hohensee
Elder User
Old 05-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G Ford Fan
Thanks Craig,

I did do a search for rear lower control arm rust, but did not find anything.

I checked a few websites for OEM and they are approx 140.00 EACH, so I would likely just get the ones from Ebay if the dealer will not address this for me (they should).

Where's Alloro???

He did a good post regarding his arms that had rusted through. Just search for posts by "Alloro" and you should be able to find it. He included pics.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
OOPS, Same post.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:07 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
OOPS, Same post.
You're a goof....

Old 05-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
**it happens.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:49 PM
G Ford Fan
Senior User
Thanks Guys.

More good news - after feeling uneasy about finding the rusty lower control arms, I decided to check the front suspension components.
Well, lo and behold, both side lower ball joints have PLAY......and it seems moderate to me, and perhaps even the inner tie-rod end (left side) where it connects to the center link.
The Ford dealer I purchased this rig from is reputable, so I am hoping they take care of these problems for me.
Even better - the balljoints on these rigs are NOT SERVICEABLE - you have to buy the ENTIRE LOWER CONTROL ARM.......NICE!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:13 PM
minitrk
Senior User
Lower BJs CAN be replaced, UPPERS need to have the whole arm replaced and then they are serviceable after that, if you get the MOOG set. I would also replace the sway bar end links if youre getting that far into it, the MOOG poly set is like $25 for the set. I did all 4 joints and the end links and it felt like a whole new truck.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:17 PM
G Ford Fan
Senior User
Thanks minitrk - I appreciate the head-up. My E.B is 4x4, I wonder why the Haynes manual said they are not serviceable? That is strange. From the few posts I read, it seems like you cannot get the C clamp press in to drive it out, you have to beat it out, is that about right?

I'm still going to see if the dealer will take care of this stuff for me, since they just inspected it and there is no way they are within spec, I did not measure them, but they are sloppy.

Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:32 PM
c_hohensee
Elder User
The fact that the Haynes manual tells you that does not surprise me. It seems that many times those type of manuals tell you to take the vehicle to the dealer instead of telling you how to do it. I think it is more a matter not having the correct adaptors to use with the C-clamp than the fact that it will not work. The basic kit does not include many adaptors.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by G Ford Fan
The Ford dealer I purchased this rig from is reputable, so I am hoping they take care of these problems for me.
Reputable dealers don't pass inspection on, then sell vehicles with such obvious and dangerous issues.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
I have found that the Haynes and other manuals of that type will often give just enough info to get a person in trouble and often, when you need it most will tell you that the area you are getting into is too difficult for the reader and to take the car/truck to a qualified repair facility.
I stopped buying those rags years ago as they are a waste of time and money.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM
jeepers
New User
really makes me wonder were Ford is getting these parts from?.....Taiwan?.....rust on a 97 but any newer ones should not be ,unless the steel is cheap....Brother has a 97 and he replaced core support so far,and rear control arms are looking bad........Flood water vehicles might be coming out of the woodwork also.....Ford should have a recall on all these vehicles......

Quick Reply: 00' Expy E.B - rear lower control arms RUST