Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

is a turbo on a 6.9 idi or 7.3 idi really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:29 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by David85
Heehee, I gave him a hard time about that once too although more of a joke in my case. To which John replied, "least you could have done is give me a push up that hill! - or something like that

Truth be told a good running 6.9 non turbo can deliver up to 180 Hp in some cases and thats more than enough to hold speed in all but the most loaded situations. Empty, you are going to likely run out of RPM long before you run out of power on flat ground.

Turbos also add complexity to the engine and make them harder to service depending on which one you get. So they're not for everyone and not everyone really needs them even if they can afford it. If it were not for a 70 MPH speed zone in my area, I probably wouldn't have bothered. Smaller side highways are posted between 50-55 MPH and the truck drove just fine without the turbo or even the 3.08s for that matter.
Hahaha yeah I remember that!

And i'm an old school guy, I love opening my hood and seing an old dirty, oily engine with a big rusty round metal air cleaner bowl, not some square plastic box!!

I can't imagine having a turbo in the motorhome, sure it be better, but holy crap it be a royal pain in the *** to work on, already is as an N/A!

Old 05-24-2010, 02:33 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep forgeting you are dealing with an E-series as one of your IDIs. After reaading through both "van engineers must die" threads over on OBN, I can understand your reluctance to go with a turbocharger. The turbo in my truck doesn't really cause me anymore grief than before it was added when it comes time to service it but I hear not all turbo kits are as forgiving. I hate the 088 for the lack of low end (or high end) boost but at least its easy to get around.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:22 PM
75Three90
Cargo Master
theres a international parts house in houson i can get all the gaskets, rings, mains, inserts, pistons for 389 dollars and gates machine shop in santa fe always rebuilds my heads for 50 ea plus parts so it comes in allitel under or about 500

Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 AM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
I wouldn't spend a nickle on a turbo!

I've never minded sluggish hill climps and being passed by cars and newer trucks when pulling, heck ain't that what a loaded truck is supose to do? Ain't a loaded truck supose to be abit slower in hills?

Ofcourse not, people always want more POWER! Folks just wanna fly right up hills pulling a 20,000 pound trailer on cruise control. Just look at the new Ford 6.7 that's ridiculous power/torque for a pick-up truck!

A bit slower up the hill is OK. Being passed by the "eleven long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse Micro-bus", not so much. Not many climbs around here have passing lanes. Pulling a hill at 20-25 mph is dangerous when the traffic flow wants to go 45-55 and nobody can safely get around you.

And since when is having more POWER a bad thing anyways?

Jason

Old 05-25-2010, 04:38 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
More power is always better! But with more power comes more problems, and more potential problems. And makes things more complicated to work on under the hood.

Just makes things look to modern for me under the hood, i'm an old school guy, I love old carbureted gassers! Like my 89 F150 EFI 300 Straight 6, sure it's a great bullet proof engine, but upon opening the hood, I always say Yuck! wtf is all this garbage?

Meh, I love being different than everyone else

Old 05-25-2010, 04:45 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm half adding a turbo for the sound - it brings back childhood memories.

Hours spent sitting in the field chopping hay behind an Oliver 1855 tractor with a 6 cylinder diesel and a turbo. Music to my ears, especially when you would load her up good.

Good times. Now I'm stuck indoors behind a computer all day - but the pay is better.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:48 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
so you gonna turn down the fuel in your idi john? so you make less power and less potential problems?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:57 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
I accually hate the sound of a turbo.

And funny you say that because I accually have to turn down the fuel on the 6.9 abit.

Since I replace the fuel pump last fall, shes been smoking abit to much for my comfert and not having a pyro ain't to good.

But yes turning up the fuel can cause you problems...... if you don't have a pyro, but if you do have one, gonna be fun

Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
i cant hear anything from my turbo. no noise at all, so thats not an issue.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:35 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
That's one thing I must say i like about IDI's, i've driven my first IDI turbo about a month ago, and I couldn't hear the turbo, so wasn't as bad as I thaught it be. Man did it ever have ***** compared to mine! lol

Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
turbo's are not exactly a new thing these days John lol.kinda been around a while.your safe to go with one and still be "old school".

The first production turbocharged automobile engines came from General Motors in 1962.
The first turbocharged diesel truck was produced by the "Schweizer Maschinenfabrik Saurer" (Swiss Machine Works Saurer) in 1938.
The turbocharger was invented by Swiss engineer Alfred Büchi. His patent for a turbocharger was applied for use in 1905.[1]
Diesel ships and locomotives with turbochargers began appearing in the 1920s.

- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

the IDI doesn't need much maintenance so i dont really see any drawbacks.
just the $.ah well.all in good time.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
I know turbos aren't new, heck they been around since what the 70's?

I just love to much my old rusty round metal air cleaner bowl!

Like old carbureted gassers besides, a straight pipe N/A sounds so much better than a turbo diesel.

$$ ain't a problem for what a turbo would cost, just not into that.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my truck used and it was NA. Living here in Florida with the low altitude and heavy air, I was perfectly happy pulling my 5th wheel all over. Then I drove to Wyoming and picked up a 5th wheel and proceeded to attempt to climb the Rockies. The minute I left Cheyenne I knew I was in trouble. It looked like a power plant smokestack. Not enough air getting into the engine. I managed to make my destination but I probably fouled the oil with the excess fuel and the EGT was probably through the roof. (I didn't have a EGT gauge) A good way to ruin a diesel engine. I now have a Banks turbo and several other add-ons (see below) and I don't have any trouble pulling the hills. Mine was a case of preventing damage to the engine. Rule #1 with a diesel "give it lots of air in and exhaust out" and she will be a happy girl.
Tom

Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
You should of saw the black smoke I was pouring out in the Rockies! Man.....what an awesome sight!

Had no idea what was my EGT's tho.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 PM
75Three90
Cargo Master
i love it when a diesel fires up first thing in the morning the puff of smoke comming out man i just love it lol

Quick Reply: is a turbo on a 6.9 idi or 7.3 idi really worth it?