1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Northern Classic Trucks visit

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Classic Trucks visit

I took a trip to Northern Classic today to check out all of their parts. Very nice looking stuff that they put out. I'll be going to see them again as I put an order in for a complete box. Think I'll pick up a set of their lower front fenders as spares for my 1948 M-47 Mercury.
I got a spare tire holder from them and this is the basis for my question. What does the other parts that go with this look like ? I've got no remnants of the mounting parts on my truck. Any help would be great. Maybe a picture?
Someone a while back was looking for an early Mercury tailgate? They are making these too by the way. Thanks for any help with my question.
Greg

Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 PM
vintage tin
Senior User
Greg,is this a Canadian outfit?if so is there a web site for them.

this is the only pic i have of my 50merc m-68 carrier.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:34 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Roy,

The mount you have pictured is a home made set up, some one took a stock under the truck mount, cut it and bolted it to the side of the box.33

Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Thanks for the picture Bob. I was hoping to get a good look at the hangers as I'm going to have to either make some up or find them.
No this isn't a Canadian shop. It's in Sterling Heights Michigan BUT they do deal with George Moir Antique Parts Limited in Alberta. Check with them for availability of their parts.
Greg

Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Some day I'd like to visit them, it's about a 7 hour drive for me. I wanted to check out Dennis Carpenter when I was in NC last fall. I was in the area for work but the job took more time than I thought it would and didn't get a chance to go.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Yes they have a website Roy but they don't like shipping to Canada because of the hassles. Are you near Stoney Plains, Alberta? I was told that they deal with Moir's and they are in Alberta. Might get some of Northern Classic's parts through them? Hope this helps.
Still need a better look at these hangers if possible. Size? Length? etc.
Anyone have some spares??
Greg M-47

Old 05-21-2010, 08:06 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
For the F-1/M-47, the hardware included 2 special eye bolts attached to the bottom flange of each frame rail, and a threaded clevis unit hanging down to attach the large cross bar under the tire to. I have some of the parts currently soaking in liquid wrench and I'm hoping to be able to remove them without them breaking. I'll trade you a Mercury tailgate for them Next chance I get, I'll take and post some pics, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Well Bob their building is in a strip mall type setup. Not very big. The guy started out making stuff in his garage. The parts that I saw were very nice workmanship. I was really impressed with the lower half front fenders that they make. And his wife and son were friendly enough. Answered all my concerns about their products.
Greg M-47

Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Roy,

The mount you have pictured is a home made set up, some one took a stock under the truck mount, cut it and bolted it to the side of the box.
Note how they dented in the cab in an attempt to make it fit -- I'd wager it still doesn't fit on a F-1/M-47.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
A Mercury tailgate for hangers? See my earlier reply as you may be able to get one through Moir's. I didn't get to see their Mercury tailgates. Just pictures but they looked good Wayne. I'll take my original Mercury plate from my tailgate when I get my box and compare.
Maybe I can fab up some kind of hangers if I had a good description? and dimentions?
Greg M-47

Old 05-21-2010, 08:23 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Greg M-47
A Mercury tailgate for hangers? See my earlier reply as you may be able to get one through Moir's. I didn't get to see their Mercury tailgates. Just pictures but they looked good Wayne. I'll take my original Mercury plate from my tailgate when I get my box and compare.
Maybe I can fab up some kind of hangers if I had a good description? and dimentions?
Greg M-47
I was kidding about the hardware/tailgate trade, as noted by the big smiley face. lol. Especially since I don't even have all of it. The parts would be fairly easy to make, but the eyebolts in the frame are fairly unique-looking. Like I said, I'll take some pictures and measurements for you when I get back to the shop this weekeend.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Yeah , I knew you were kidding by the smiley. But they do look to be making a good Mercury tailgate ( At least by the pictures) at Northern Classic. Might be a solution if you're missing a tailgate?? I'll hopefully get a chance to see one when I go to get my box in a week or two.
Greg M-47

Old 05-21-2010, 10:33 PM
vintage tin
Senior User
ROSS,if you think the cab is dented,you should see how they beat the crap out of the fender.

i dont think thats going to buff right out.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:35 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg M-47
I took a trip to Northern Classic today to check out all of their parts. Very nice looking stuff that they put out. I'll be going to see them again as I put an order in for a complete box. Think I'll pick up a set of their lower front fenders as spares for my 1948 M-47 Mercury.
I got a spare tire holder from them and this is the basis for my question. What does the other parts that go with this look like ? I've got no remnants of the mounting parts on my truck. Any help would be great. Maybe a picture?
Someone a while back was looking for an early Mercury tailgate? They are making these too by the way. Thanks for any help with my question.
Greg
just FYI, I am using their bed kit on my truck.

only thing to say is clean and prep it immediately on receipt.. it is un-primed.

Sam

Old 05-24-2010, 10:15 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Greg, here's the photos of the spare tire hardware from my trucks.
This is on the left (drivers) side showing the castle nut and cotter pin on the top side of the eye bolt, and the threaded clevis unit hanging down.

The clevis bolt is 4 3/4" from the center of the pin to the bottom of the bolt. It is one piece that looks possibly forged, by the line in the middle.

Here is the eye on the other side. The eye has a fairly wide shoulder from the threaded portion going through the frame rail.

and a couple other views from my parts truck, also a 52, but a Ford instead of a Mercury.

and on the left side of the Ford is this odd spacer attached to the bolt

and finally, what I believe to be the under the tire cross bar, in a semi-customized shape.

You sure this stuff isn't worth a tailgate? LOL

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Northern Classic Trucks visit