1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I Need Help Identefing This 1960 FORD BREAD TRUCK

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbreadwrapper
Will do. I am located just 'down the street' from you in NW WA State. Thanks. Here is one of the trucks from my families bakery. I am trying to recreate several, the older the better
Ok, time for clarification for this tired old head, you are asking about the all white flat-faced van with all the junk pilled up around it, right?

I looked in the old truck finder book after you asked and I’m not even sure that is a Ford, the grill looks like a homemade afterthought. Not sure what it is.

So here is part of the bottom line (as I see it) other then for the purists, who is going to know what kind of old vans your Bakery had that many years ago, if you can’t find pictures then neither can anyone else and not too many are still living who can remember and fewer who care?

I think a little poetic license would be OK, Find the oldest van that really turns your crank and restore it as a Bakery truck? Ford or ? (Divco are neat but big $$$)

Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I'm not sure exactly when the rectangular style vans came into being (late 40's?), but most of your earlier delivery trucks looked more like this one. Antique Ford Wonder Bread Pick up 1947 - Woolcock Antique Auto Parts

and before that...

Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
oldbreadwrapper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I provided the photo of the Ford simply because this is a Ford site and it was one of the better photos I had handy.

I have photos showing many different manufactures, Ford, International, Chevrolet, and even Graham Brothers when I go back into the 20's. I am not sure how far back the Ford 'step-vans' go, but I can date the Chevy's which I have posted on our site (Buchan Baking Company) between 1937 and 1939. In my research, I have found multiple manufacturers making 'step-vans' or 'COE's', whichever is better accepted, prior to 1940 (IHC, White Horse, Chevrolet, Federal, ...) and I would assume that Ford had some sort of competitive model. As I know these trucks are scarce, I am open to whatever I can find. It took me more than three years to locate my 1936 Chevy one and one-half ton panel truck (also included in the buchansbread site). Any help or direction is appreciated. Here is another one we had.

Last edited by oldbreadwrapper; 11-30-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 11-30-2010, 06:57 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
The 1949 Hildy's book shows most of these type trucks as the style Wayne provided for Fords. The P-series came out in the mid 50's through 72, IIRC. In looking at the link provided, I can see you have a lot of old Chevy trucks, and the mid to late 50's Fords like the first pic in this thread. Plus an early 50's GMC. BTW, welcome to FTE!

(I need glasses)

Old 11-30-2010, 11:59 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to FTE OldBreadWrapper I think there is one of those here in Utah I saw for sale a while ago, my guess is he still has it?? although I recall it looking more like the first one pictured in this thread than the one you posted??

cool website for the history of the bread business, I just clicked on the fleet trucks, looks like a lot of really cool old delivery trucks.

cheers

Josh

Old 12-02-2010, 08:53 PM
rmeneses
New User
Bread Truck

That has as got to be an Ex-Langendorf United Bakeries truck, my Dad drove one when he first started for Langendorf here in the Los Angeles area. Here in the L.A. area the Langendorf trucks were for the cake and cookie routes while the bread trucks were labeled Barbara Ann. Up in central/northern Ca. Oregon and Washington it was all Langendorf, both the bread and cake routes.

Here is a photo of a Olson bodied Ford with the Langendorf markings that I took right before it was stripped and had "Dolly Madison Cakes" decals applied after Interstate Brands bought the Langendorf Cake-Cookie division. This is basically what that cool little Ford would have looked like had it been a cake truck.

[/IMG]
At one time these trucks were a cream or light yellow color over green, then I think they wanted to look more like the Wonder-Hostess trucks so they went with the white body black trim and red wheels in the 1960's (I think)

I wish I would have taken more photos of the Langendorf and Barbara Ann trucks, before the company was bought and the trucks repainted or sold off if too old.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 PM
rmeneses
New User
Langendorf 2

Here is a shot of another later model Ford Chassis Grumman, you can see the Langendorf oval on the rear doors too, and the unit number on that little Ford you posted (4536) corresponds with the numbering on the units my Dad drove, one being 4646, 4006, and then 5144 which was a fiberglass bodied Chevrolet.

[/IMG]

Old 12-03-2010, 09:30 PM
oldbreadwrapper
New User
none of your photos came through.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:52 PM
rmeneses
New User
Langendorf Truck

They show up when I look at the website, maybe I did something wrong? email
me at meneses.ramon@gmail.com and I will send you the photos, and please tell me how to post photos!

Old 12-04-2010, 11:25 AM
oldbreadwrapper
New User
While this may be older than the year-span of this forum, I am aware of some 'step-van' types being built on a 1941 Ford Chassis.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:30 AM
oldbreadwrapper
New User
duplicaton error

Old 12-04-2010, 11:36 AM
oldbreadwrapper
New User
Originally Posted by Old F1
Ok, time for clarification for this tired old head, you are asking about the all white flat-faced van with all the junk pilled up around it, right?

Do you know if it might be available? It may be built on a Ford Chassis like the image I just posted. I am assuming that it is in the BC area, just north of where I am located. Much Appreciated.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbreadwrapper
Do you know if it might be available? .
Yes and No!

This is where I got the picture from, ......talk to Dave. (and keep us posted)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ead-truck.html

Sorry for the hijack guys!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Wouter Duijndam
New User
Is there anyone who can tell a bit more about the truck i spotted in Westgate , Los Angeles ?

Old 08-06-2011, 10:00 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
"Oddballs" candidates here.

Quick Reply: I Need Help Identefing This 1960 FORD BREAD TRUCK