1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Jag IFS install help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh yeah...must be my "CRS" kickin in...Cant Remember Sh**
I forgot about you havin that...Man I gotta start writin stuff down...but then I would forget where I wrote down!!! LOL Thanks Kevin!
Jeff

Old 06-09-2010, 08:42 AM
f100newb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff,

Like 55f350 said your gonna have to cut it. I am doing a steering column out of a Jeep Laredo. This section here has a lot of good what does and does not work items. It has been my bible for finding parts on the cheap.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Adapting Major Components of 1948 to 1960 Ford Trucks .: Articles

If you have not gone through this do so. Also for some other jag info check out these.

This is a prefabbed rear IRS install bracket.
Snow White Ltd. - Street Rod Parts & Mfg.

Good site for More IRS, IFS stuff

Kugel Komponents

I have other sites bookmarked so if you need anything specific tell me. Also hit me up with some pics as you are doing things. I am intersted in how your going about the build in reference to the others I have been following.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:27 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Jeff, If the steering box is a good tight box, it would be a shame to cut it. The F-1 box is more sought after but a good tight larger F-2,3 steering box should be saved. Before you cut, ask for interest on this forum since for your needs, you only need the shaft from any beat up worn out box since you can keep your outer column etc.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Hi Bill, Yeah I wasn't wanting to cut this shaft either, like you said if it was a piece of junk then it wouldn't matter but it is a good tight steering box and I know they are not cheap so yeah no cutting.

f100newb thanks I will check those links out! and I will post pics in my album as I progress.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:18 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

AFA parts prices, I found the ebay jag vendors to have very resonable prices, especially if you order kits instead of individual pieces. Jag Grave Yard is an exception, poor shipping and customer sevice, I don't reccomend them. The power steering pump is a GM unit, and since I'm using a SBC, I used the pump that came with the serpentine setup from an S10. On the back of the pump, pressure side, is a fitting with a pressure relief valve in it. I swapped it from my jag pump to the s10. I took my jag hoses to napa, where a sympathetic friend works, and spent an hour looking through his books to find hoses. I forget what hoses I found, sorry. The return hose is easy, but the pressure hose took some effort. We found a pressure hoses that had the o-ringed, pump end, but couldn't find a matching rack end. Since the rack end is just an inverted flare, like a brake line, we found a line that had that size hard line and cut and flared it. If you space the lower spring plate down to lower the truck, remember to space the bump stop up by an equal amount so you don't bind the ball joints.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Okay thanks, I am gonna go back and get the power steering pump. sounds like I might need it. for no more than it costs i would rather have it and not need it rather than need it and wish I would have got it!
this would be possible without you folks,
big THANK YOU!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I really have nothing to add here. I've got an XJ6 sinking into the ground at my folk's place waiting until time and money collide to get this same swap done. I'm picking up more of the details from you guys, so I'm punching this in to lend moral support and to subscribe so I can keep up with this swap. Thanks for bringing us along Jeff (or Nicolle).

Old 06-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Along for the ride? lol guess I never realized thats what this would turn into, but hey! jump in the back and enjoy!
I will throw my status out there...
This is how my brain is working right now...
1. I need to get a bed now (hopefully from truckdog/Stu) because I gotta get the rear end set where I want it. Forward to Aft is not a problem, where I want the ride height to be can't be done without it.
2. Once the rear is done I can start to plan mounting the Jag IFS to the frame. In my album you can find pics of the F-3 fenders and the IFS combination...I haven't decided on what I'm gonna do..F-1 fiberglass? expensive! but haven't heard of any used ones out here yet. Or work with the F-3 fenders and say good enough (not really what I want but...) and buy some taller tires...well to me, why lower it and then buy taller tires? I don't like that idea at all...
3. gotta get the steering column issue figured out, I know that there are swaps and thats probably the way I will end up going, but I would like to keep the original column in the cab (I think) because I like it.

As Nicolle says now...I got a bad case of "truck brain"

Old 06-11-2010, 10:17 PM
2losteve
Senior User
stock column

I'm one of those that likes the old steering columns too, which is why I've used one in my '56. The first thing is that you must find a bushing/bearing that will fit inside your column and around your steering shaft - that will go in the bottom of your column. Then you must mount the bottom of the column to the floor. Install the steering wheel that you are going to use (to make sure the shaft length is correct) before the final cut for your universal joint on the bottom of your shaft. A problem that will crop up is the lack of a way to make your horn button work, as the old wire went down the inside of the shaft. There is a solution if you get to that point.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've debated updating the column to a tilt in part to save the old components from getting mangled...but then again, money smarts tells me an ididit or faming river special probably isn't in the cards. My dad just might have to lose out on having a spare column/steering box for his 48. If I did go with a new column it'd be the paintable, tilt, but no other doohickies variety. The simple column looks best in that cab. IMHO.

James

Old 06-12-2010, 02:49 AM
rpol7966
Junior User
In the past, I have modified a lot of tilt columns for various applications. I use the GM van columns that don't have the ignition key. It's a fairly easy modification and you still use ALL factory parts. I am not a big fan of aftermarket parts which include the Ididit or Flaming River columns. I've recently bought a couple of their columns really cheap at swap meets. I was curious about their construction, I'm not impressed with their design. I'll continue to use the van columns, although they are getting harder to find.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:13 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
truck brain ??????? naw . don't need to be a truck , just some rusty old hulk and a vivid imagination ........ just wait yer yard will look like mine does from time to time soon ......................... your nabe's will love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:31 AM
twise
Senior User
Who cares about the nabe's. I have given up on that a long time ago. We love loud exhaust over here. We had three mustangs at the same time with aftermarket exhaust, the wife's 03 GT, the daughters 91 5.0 GT and my 73 351C. I always get the neighbors doors opening up to take a look at me. I told one of them that it was better than a meth lab explosion. He was cool after that. I am respectful of them but I don't live for my neighbors.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:03 AM
SunDown
Senior User
My long bed needs a new home so Stu isnt your only option!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:06 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh jason , have we figured out anything about that flatty you gotz ???????????? i don't wanna frighten anyone here , but if i was a good body man i'd like to have that long bed as i thought the proportions of it look much better than the oe shrt beds . i cut one down to shorty status , but it wasn't very good but man i liked the way it looked !!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Jag IFS install help!