2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Coastal E Tech License Plate Rear Camera Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:02 AM
st381
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I was able to carefully remove the rear trim panel and install the BARCAM 221 with the top screws of the license plate. With the rear trim off I was able to loosen the chrome license plate light/rear window latch exterior trim and run the wires underneath it and over to the wire cut out for the LP light wires. Screwed the exterior trim back into place and everything tucked neatly into the trim and I didn't have to drill any holes. About 1/2 inch or less of camera wire exposed from top of license plate where I mounted to license plate light/rear window latch chrome trim.

I was then able to run the camera wires along the same path as other wiring and feed through existing cutouts to main body of truck. As I feared the cords that come with the camera are not long enough. Another twenty feet or so and it would have been perfect for running through panels to HU of radio and Lockpick 360.

I will contact E Coastal to see if they will sell me another cable or direct me to who can. I have pics but it is pretty straight forward once you get the interior trim off. Follow the directions in this thread to a tee and everything will be smooth. Until 10pm MST tonight, I had never done anything like this in my life!

Tip: When you pull the interior trim off, some of the metal clips will strip off of the trim and remain in the body of the truck. Simply remove clips from the truck and reattach to trim for easy reassembly.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
did you run the cable up or down? it might be better to run the cable along the roof and then drop it down the drivers pillar when you reach the dash.

then you can utilize the wiring bundle right there at the e-brake for the reverse trigger

should also save you 4-5 ft of wire since you won't be running it down from the roof to the floor, and then forward

Old 06-06-2010, 12:15 PM
st381
Junior User
Either way, floor board or headliner, the wires come up about ten feet short.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:18 PM
st381
Junior User
Reverse Wire Close to Center Console

Is there a reverse wire I can tap into close to the center console that a novice like me can tap into without tearing too much apart to access? This automatically brings up the rear camera image onto the HU or Nav.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:08 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay... I'm digging into mine a bit this afternoon too.

I'm going to make a run to Radio Shack and see if they can give me somthing to extend the wires. I'm coming up about 10' short on our Navi L as well.

Have you looked at the wiring connections yet?

I plugged the two harnesses into the back of the Lock Pick and it seems the other big plugs and ribbon will all be straightforward enough.

But then what? I'm guessing the blue "12 V Out To Camera" gets crimped to the bare red wire that comes out of the black cable that plugs into the black cable the comes from the camera? (Sorry, didn't know how else to word that!). -Found more directions... this seems accurate!

And "12V reverse in" looks like it gets tapped into the back-up lights... thought I saw a wiring diagram in another thread that mentioned wires running down the passenger's side? -Directions agree!

I'm assuming "Hand Brake Ground" is for other people, and I won't need it? -Just make sure it's hooked up to black wire from Lock Pick harness.

But what do I do with the orange "12V Acc out"? - You can run your radar detector or something off of this.

Or the pink wire? - Still a mystery!

Or the bare black wire that comes from the black cable that plugs into the cable from the camera? -Still a mystery!

Thanks a million for the tailgate diagram... that's going to help me lots.

I'm off to Radio Shack, then I'll come back and mount the camera and go from there.

Good luck!!!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 01:57 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Our local Radio Shack didn't have anything to extend the black cable. He thought a larger store might be able to match the ends but they wouldn't have them on a pre-made cable.

Extending the yellow RCA cable should be no big deal.

A "work-around" for the black cable would be to solder a 10' length of wire onto the the bare red & black wire ends and go from there. It won't be nearly as clean as using the harness, and so much for being "solder free", but it could work.

I'm a bit disappointed in this... I specifically asked the Coastal Tech people if I needed anything besides their lockpick, their camera, and my Lincoln to make it work and they said "no". I suppose if I relocated my radio the middle of the vehicle that would be true, but I'm feeling a little bit like a guienna pig now. Hopefully I'll call tomorrow and they'll cheerfully send an extension because I'm not crazy about the work-around idea.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:01 PM
TIKT B8
Senior User
Originally Posted by gpfarrell
I'm going to make a run to Radio Shack and see if they can give me somthing to extend the wires. I'm coming up about 10' short on our Navi L as well.
What does the end of the camera look like? A RCA end and 1 red and 1 black wire? You can extend the red and black wires with some 18-22 guage wires and extend the RCA with a coupler and another RCA video cable.

I'm guessing the blue "12 V Out To Camera" gets crimped to the bare red wire that comes out of the black cable that plugs into the black cable the comes from the camera? (Sorry, didn't know how else to word that!).
Yes that is the power (to red wire) of the camera

And "12V reverse in" looks like it gets tapped into the back-up lights... thought I saw a wiring diagram in another thread that mentioned wires running down the passenger's side? -Directions agree!
Yes it is the green/brown wire under the passenger door sill.

I'm assuming "Hand Brake Ground" is for other people, and I won't need it? -Just make sure it's hooked up to black wire from Lock Pick harness.
I am not sure I understand this one. Where is the"Hand brake ground" wire coming from?Isn't it coming from the lockpick harness also?

But what do I do with the orange "12V Acc out"? - You can run your radar detector or something off of this.
Yes it provides power to any additional equipment like a dvd player, etc.

Or the pink wire? - Still a mystery!

Or the bare black wire that comes from the black cable that plugs into the cable from the camera? -Still a mystery!
That is the ground for the camera. It has to be grounded. I am starting to think that this needs to go to the "hand brake ground" wire from the lockpick harness. I cant be for sure without looking at the instructions.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:38 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Ticket Bait... thank you!

I think you posted your idea on how to extend the harness at the same time I was posting my work-around thread. I'll need to buy about 10' of RCA cable with male end on one end a female end on the other end, but I could extend the red wire (that emerges from the rear black cable) as you said and the black one that emerges with it could be grounded anywhere, right???

For what it's worth, on a Navi L, my wires were long enough to run from the license plate, up the tailgate, throught the rubber hickey to the body, down the driver's side of the body to the floor of the cargo compartment, then forwards along the driver's side and made it in front of the B-pillar.

An alternative would be to run them diagonnally across the headliner above the cargo compartment and then bring them down the right side of the body to get them closer to where the back-up wires and I'm assuming the brain for the lockpick will be, under the passenger's feet. I didn't want to risk harming the headliner though, so I passed on this choice.

The brown "hand brake ground" is a safety that can wired into the parking brake so the lockpick features only work when the parking brake is on. Lockpick knows nobody wants this so the brown wire plugs into a black wire that comes off the lockpick's brain.

So, blue from the brain goes to the red from the camera.

Gray "12V Reverse" goes to the green/brown under the passengers sill.

And pink is from the movie Lethal Weapon II and should be cut to prevent a bomb from exploding, right??

We'll see how amibitious I feel this evening, maybe I'll crack the radio open.

Oh... if you want to do this and you don't already have one, go buy a #25 Torx bit. You'll need it to remove the pull-down handle from the tailgate.

Also, if I were doing it again I would my whole tailgate, not just the glass, when disconnecting the power tailgate. I'd also look for a fuse to disconnect the power tailgate. You'll wind up opening and closing the gate 100 times while you get the wires tucked through it and if the lift-cylinder and the gate get out of synch you have to fiddle with them to make them happy again. I got mine to be happy on the third try of re-removing it and twisting the cylinder around, but there's no way to avoid activating it when you unlatch the gate if it still has power.

Dinner's almost ready!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:58 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Another random thought:

I started with the "camera" end of the harness just inside the body by the tailgate. I fed the camera end through the rubber boot that connects the body to the tailgate and then only had to feed a small amount of wire through that boot... enough to follow the tailgate around the window and down to the license plate.

The boot is pretty tight. Once you get the plugs wiggled through the wire itself is much easier, but still it's easier to feed 5' through going backwards than 15' through going forward.

I'm done for the night on the Navigator project. I'll buy a fresh peice of RCA cable and hopefully get it wrapped up some night this week.

Who knows, by then maybe we'll know where the pink wire goes!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 PM
st381
Junior User
You can purchase extension cables with the RCA Video and 12 volt power integrated wire through ebay, if you still want to connect directly to the lockpick. I am going this route, about $20 with shipping buys the 20ft cable. Bad part is I have to wait for shipping. Just left the wires hanging in the rear until final cable arrives. I researched the effect that adding another RCA video cable would have to the quality of the video and all material states that anything under 100ft would not effect the video quality.

The hardest part so far was removing the interior trim, and that is because the plastic clips can break off if your not careful. I am sure that running and hiding the wires to the front will be my next big challenge.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM
st381
Junior User
Quote:

Yes it is the green/brown wire under the passenger door sill.

To be certain, the reverse wire that runs down the passenger side is a green wire with a brown stripe or a brown wire with a green stripe? Does this same color wire actually run into the tail lights?

Old 06-08-2010, 03:24 PM
TIKT B8
Senior User
It is a green wire with a thin brown stripe. There should be two identical wires side by side. I have not personally verified this to work, but a guy on another board used these for his reverse camera install. Just check it with a volt meter, it should only light up when the car is in reverse.

I also got my lockpick today and the nav mod kind of intimidated me reading the instructions. I just finished watching the video though and I feel okay about it. Unfortunately, I am going out of town for a week so I will not be able to do mine until I get back. I also might order the iphone av cable, as I had never even thought about using the iphone as a video player through the lockpick.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:42 AM
st381
Junior User
I opened the HU today and die the ribbon cable replacement. A straight forward process but be warned, he screws to separate the LCD case are in there so tight you will be cursing a red storm so get your children out of the house. One screw just wouldn't budge on the outside edge. I then tried to separate without removing the screw and broke a plastic tab. It does not effect appearance but I stripped the screw head trying to remove it and had no other choice. Those screws are TIGHT and it was not coming out and I was committed.

Any how, I got everything installed, hooked up the Camera power wire to the red wire on the BARCAM 221 and the black ground wire to the Hand Brake Ground wire which split off of what appears to be a straight forward black ground wire. Hooked everything up, reinstalled and got a blank white screen. It was not working. No LCD image, no touch screen control of anything because it was a blank white screen. Called tech support and they are closed for the night. More than a little disappointed and a lot irked I replaced the original ribbon and got it back up for driving.

I don't know what the problem is but I will try again after I get some sort of trouble shooting advice from E Coastal Tech. I thought I would warn anyone else ahead of time before you split your nav unit apart. If you do move forward please let me know how it goes.

Just remember, the screws on the LCD plastic housing are Sons of ******!!!!! to get out so be careful to lay down a towel or other soft work surface as to avoid tearing up your LCD screen. I wish the instructions went a little further into depth on what to expect when reinstalling. I hope they will b able to help me out over the phone. I was really greatful I could undo the changes and at least get it back to factory functionality.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:01 AM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Hopefully, I'll wade into open-radio-surgery tonight.

After mounting the bar camera and running my (extended-by-me) wires up to the front I came to realize late Monday that I didn't recieve the short ribbon cable in my package from Coastal.

I called Coastal Tuesday morning and they were great about sending me one. But my original shipments were delivered from UPS with no trouble and no signature required. For some reason they marked "signature required" on this little parcel and nobody will be there to sign for it today. I asked Coastal to remove that requirement but they weren't sure if they still could. If UPS won't leave it up stuck.

My hunch is your blank screen is ribbon cable related but I have no idea what to do with it. I think the radio should still work even without the parking-brake ground because the radio should still work when the parking brake isn't on.

So far everybody I've spoken with at Coastal has been fairly helpful. I think they're a pretty small outfit with a great new product and maybe their company hasn't been able to grow quite as fast as their sales have. In the end, I think I'll still be much happier with a fully intergrated automatic back-up camera from them than some wireless mess from Wally World, but the path has been a little bumpy so far.

Good luck to you!

Hey, when you had everything hooked up, where did you put the lockpick itself? Thanks!

Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 PM
st381
Junior User
There is a ton of empty space in the console once you pull the radio. It is practically cavernous so there is plenty of free space for working and cable storage so no worries there.

Gotta a call into coastal for some tech support. They are going to have a master technician call me back. Still waiting but hoping. Hopefully, they can give me some trouble shooting methods or flat out say, this is the prob.

Quick Reply: Coastal E Tech License Plate Rear Camera Install