Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Elder User

1L243 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Towing 10,000 pounds

I am getting a new toy hauler which is pretty heavy when loaded a little over 10k. Its a bumper pull. The truck is a 1999 2WD 7.3 Auto trans with 373 gears and 275 tires. Should I keep it out of OD all the time when towing?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Post Fiend

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
You just have to pull it & see how it does. What I use as an indicator is if it starts shifts in & out of OD, then put it in direct. The key in my opinion is to have a GOOD trans cooler. I personally really like the B&M SuperCoolers. I run them on a Blazer 4x4 & our Jeep 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee. I tow with both. My 86 F250 4x4 460, C-6 uses the stock Factory external cooler. But it is built with a Hughes Tow Converter. If I was ever have to change it out a B&M would go in.
Craig
Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Good trans cooler is suggested and a trans guage, EGT guage if you don't have one.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 05-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
Ditto Craig and Scott,

Steve
2010 F150 super cab, box stock, bed slide, ARE bed cover
Old 05-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Posting Guru

maevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermmydog View Post
You just have to pull it & see how it does. What I use as an indicator is if it starts shifts in & out of OD, then put it in direct. The key in my opinion is to have a GOOD trans cooler. I personally really like the B&M SuperCoolers. I run them on a Blazer 4x4 & our Jeep 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee. I tow with both. My 86 F250 4x4 460, C-6 uses the stock Factory external cooler. But it is built with a Hughes Tow Converter. If I was ever have to change it out a B&M would go in.
Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Good trans cooler is suggested and a trans guage, EGT guage if you don't have one.
Thats some great advice to follow. with that much weight your egts can climb real fast, along with your trans temps.

I also pull a 11,000 lbs toybox and pull it in overdrive until I start to climb grade.

You may also need to install some air bags to help handle the 1,000lbs +/- tongue weight.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Post Fiend

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Smile

[QUOTE=maevans;8913397]Thats some great advice to follow. with that much weight your egts can climb real fast, along with your trans temps.

I also pull a 11,000 lbs toybox and pull it in overdrive until I start to climb grade.

You may also need to install some air bags. I run a set of #5000# AirSprings from AriLift. I real like the stability they provide. Just a thought.
Craig
Old 05-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Elder User

Well the 10K rig seems to be towing pretty nicely. I have load equalizer hitch... Truck is not squatted much. I have been towing out of overdrive. I have to say the truck does seem to be working at it. (1999 F250 2WD Auto with 99K miles) at 55 about 2200 rpms and at 60 would be about 2400 rpms... 373 gearing.... What would be a recommended rpm range? Only real thing I have noticed when towing out of Texas with a temp in the upper 90's my clutch fan seems to be coming on.(well thats the only thing I think it could be.) Just starts roaring under the hood. Stays on for about 3 or 4 minutes then just shuts off. Coolent temp is good somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 on the gauge. I do want to get a bigger trans cooler and exhaust and trans temp gauges... I was thinking of air bags or getting some overloads off one ton.....
Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
trans and temp gauges would be good. air bags work well, clutch fan will do exactly what you are saying, sounds like maybe an airplane under the hood. Just towing with the OD locked out is what I would do.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 05-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Posting Guru

redfire42 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.redfire42 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You can tow in OD. I do all the time at anything over 55 MPH. When you start climbing a hill, take it out of OD. If you tow out of OD your mileage will suffer also. I use air bags with my TT and it make a huge differance in the ride. Tranny temp gauge a must but if your truck is all stock or mostly stock but unchiped you can get away without an EGT gauge, but again its nice to have...
Jeremy PAA MEMBER# 41 2002 F250 444CI, Lariat, 4X4 S-cab, LB, Superchip, WW, 6637, Isspro 3 Pillar pod, Bilsteins, 5" MKO straight pipe cannon, OBA, trucool 4739, Zdad, CCV, IC foil AIH delete, GPR LED, EBPV/brake, Firestone airbags, prodigy BC,
Scheaffers 9000
Old 05-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Elder User

I think for the time being I will keep it out of OD till I get a transmission temp gauge.. That way I wll know for certain what is going on.

Great bunch of advise...
Old 05-23-2010, 09:25 AM