2002 F-250 Lariat Crew Cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Waynenap
Really, Really, nice truck.
Are you buying the dash pod from Clay? I can't find it on his web site.
Sorry, I haven't put it on the site yet. I will make it the first order of business tomorrow.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 PM
76'SuperCab
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Waynenap
Really, Really, nice truck.
Are you buying the dash pod from Clay? I can't find it on his web site.
Yes. He said it's about $80, but it's not on his website.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:24 PM
76'SuperCab
Senior User
Originally Posted by nunya001
Nice truck. For your Airstream you will need to soften up the tow set up. These trucks are great for pulling but the suspension is stiff and tends to beat the trailers up structurally. I went with softer torsion bars on my Reese dual cam and it helped. I'd still consider looking into the air hitches too.
Nunya, I'm actually planning to buy my hitch next week. I've read that Airstreams don't respond well to a rough ride (sheered rivets, buckled ribs, etc.). I'm looking at a Reese dual cam with 500lb bars. What are you towing and what size bars are you using?

This truck has way more towing capacity than I need. My trailer was only 3,400 pounds as built in 1959, and probably weighs in at about 5,000 with the modifications I've made. I could have easily got away with a 1/2 ton truck, but I love these Super Duty trucks and really wanted a diesel. Plus, who knows what I might be towing next time around.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Ed,

My ignition key is cut in such a way that the tip has deeper cuts than the bow, resulting in a sorta' "pointed" look.

The result is that I can remove my key while the engine is running. I actually find that to be convenient once-in-a-while.

Pop

my kid pointed that out to me when I asked her to go get the mail.......

my problem was you could put anything into the ignition and it would start the truck...ugh

so I had to replace it......

Old 07-06-2010, 02:52 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by partsguyed.com
my problem was you could put anything into the ignition and it would start the truck...ugh

so I had to replace it......
Oh, yea, THAT's a problem!

When I shut mine off, it locks off.

Pop

Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 AM
76'SuperCab
Senior User
Took the truck out for its first trip towing our 1959 26' Airstream. I'm very happy with our setup. Plenty of room for all our gear, the trailer (which has all new running gear) towed straight and smooth, and all the systems operated as planned.

But I do have some questions about what I should expect power wise from the truck while towing on hills. I was able to maintain speed and even accelerate a bit, but had to really get on the throttle (about 3/4 to WOT), let the transmission kick down and turn about 2,500 rpm or higher. The truck is still bone stock, so I know I shouldn't be expecting it to fly up hills as if nothing is behind us, but I've heard people talk about pulling 10,000 lb plus 5th wheels up hills with these trucks and having power to spare. Our trailer is probably less than 5,000 pounds and the truck seemed like it might have been working harder than it should be.

I've been following Bulla's thread "Could I really need 8 new injectors" where he describes his truck as running smooth, but lacking power. I'm wondering if I may have similar fuel volume/pressure problems or a boost leak. Or maybe I'm just expecting too much from a stock truck. Any thoughts?
Norm

Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
I hope my Cougar lasts as long as your Airstream. That is a pretty picture.

Check your IC boots for leaks. I replaced mine with a set from RiffRaff. I am leaving for RRE in the morning and will see how I run with a non-leaking IC system. I took a 3.5" PVC cap and tapped a 1/4" NPT air hose coupler into it. I used my air compressor with the regulator set @ 10 PSI to check and tighten leaks. I went up to 20 PSI and verified no leaks.

It runs a great deal better, but I still have a leak on my up-pipes that I have to fix.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:33 PM
76'SuperCab
Senior User
Got a little project

My wife and kids got me a nice set of Isspro EV2s for my birthday. Time to install some gauges!

Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2010, 05:33 PM
lhud
Elder User
Very nice truck and trailer 'Supercab. I'm sort of partial to the '02 CC Lariat myself.
Ya done good brother!!

Old 11-27-2010, 05:06 AM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
That's a nice looking truck. Kinda reminds me of something! LOL

Old 11-28-2010, 10:29 AM
76'SuperCab
Senior User
Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying this truck. My gauge installed was tripped up a little when I went out to the truck and discovered some jackass had broke in and stolen my cheap aftermarket radio. Had to spend a little time looking for a new radio that will hopefully be less attractive to thieves. Seriously considering finding a used factory radio on eBay. At least the stupid thief didn't steal my floor jack that was sitting loose in the bed of the truck.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:42 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

I'll sell you my factory radio, then I can get a nice radio/GPS unit to go in it's place!

You'll enjoy the gauges. After a while, you'll wonder how you drove (especially towed) without them.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:47 AM
76'SuperCab
Senior User
Gauges are In - Time to Get an Exhaust System

Well, it took me a few days (I got two kids that result in me working on the truck in 15 minute increments), but I finished installing my gauges and GPR LED tonight. Just got back from a half hour test drive and had to keep reminding myself to look at the road and not the boost gauge as I was flying down the freeway seeing how much boost it would make and how hot the EGTs would get. Boost seemed to top out around 15 and the EGTs (stock everything by the way) occasionally creeped up to 1200 at WOT for a long run. I need to replenish the mod budget and get a good 4" exhaust. I also need to install a new stereo this weekend to replace the one stolen on Thanksgiving night - kinda sucks not having music in the truck. I hate thieves.

Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Trucky2
Senior User
I've got the factory radio from my 02 Lariat you can have for the shipping costs. Everything worked perfect when I pulled it to put in a DVD player so I could see my backup camera. It's the basic factory AM/FM with single CD player.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 AM
76'SuperCab
Senior User
Originally Posted by Trucky2
I've got the factory radio from my 02 Lariat you can have for the shipping costs. Everything worked perfect when I pulled it to put in a DVD player so I could see my backup camera. It's the basic factory AM/FM with single CD player.
Thanks, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to put another factory stereo in, but with where I park my truck regularly, I think that's just asking for it to get stolen again. I sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: 2002 F-250 Lariat Crew Cab