Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Senior User

brettdacosta is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation IDM problems?

I had sputtering and stalling recently, so I took it to the dealer - couldn't afford to really shop around, but he's telling me most likely the IDM (like 1200-1400 bucks)? I just didn't know how common this is, but I was trying to find something to stand on when he finishes up the diagnosis. When the IDM goes bad, seems like that is a big enough problem to throw a CEL, but I haven't gotten one. I had the Injectors replaced recently, and I'm wondering if maybe this stems from that. Could anyone provide any help (especially the CEL question)? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Post Fiend

DieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to behold
Can you tell us in a little more detail what your symptoms were? IDM's "can" go bad but pretty rare. How long has this been happening? Does it restart after stalling? How old are the fuel and oil filters? Have you changed out the CPS at all?

Sorry about all the questions. This will help narrow down the search

2001 F350 Lariat CC LB 4X4, Various mods
http://www.roadsidehelpnetwork.org/
Old 05-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Postmaster

rat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to behold
Jim Jam Sanders
Also have you checked the uvch or done the 50 cent mod?
Old 05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Senior User

No mod that I'm aware of and no, haven't replaced the CPS (that I know of - had the truck about 5K miles). The fuel filter was replaced within the past 5K miles. The oil filter was changed (I'm assuming) when Bean's did the injectors and an oil change about 2K miles ago. I had similar (but not exact) problems before Beans diagnosed it as the injector O-rings, however when the engine reached operating temperature the issues quit. This time, the issues weren't until the engine warmed up for a while. Once the injectors were replaced, I had no issues until yesterday when I experience the issue too severe to drive...

The engine sputtered (I thought I was almost out of gas), so I turned around to find a gas station (still with a 1/4 tank though), and got to the red light (running really rough), and it died. Took probably 4-5 minutes of intermittened attempting to start for 10-15 seconds every time before eventually it turned over, and ran really rough (low power) until I got to the dealership. The guy at the dealership drove it after I had checked out the fluids and such and let it cool for about 5 minutes. It just sorta ticked and had less power than normal until he felt it die after about 3/4 mile of getting on it. Same restart procedure until we limped back to the dealership.

Thanks for the concern and the fast responses. You guys are great. Let me know if you need any more info.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Post Fiend

DieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to behold
I am with Jim. Check the harness going under the valve covers (UVCH). Would not hurt to try a different CPS. That is only about $20. Do those cheap things first.

Where are you located? Maybe another member is nearby that can help. Do you have the truck or the shop?

2001 F350 Lariat CC LB 4X4, Various mods
http://www.roadsidehelpnetwork.org/
Old 05-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Senior User

Just looked up the CPS sensor replacement - doesn't seem too tough. The UVCH sounds a little more difficult. What is needed, and is there a good walk through? What's the time estimate on this job. I don't have all the time in the world (nor money), but I don't want to just pay a dealer a lot of money to fix what he diagnosed to be wrong, and then it turns out to be something cheaper I could have done. Thanks for the ideas, now could you help me with the procedure. The truck is at the dealership still (driving a 3rd car that's not registered and is for sale - need it fixed pretty quick). Thanks again, guys.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Junior User

kdv is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wouldnt uvch set a CEL?

Ken
Old 05-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Senior User

Kinda thought that it AND the IDM would throw a CEL (asked in the first post), but I guess it was overlooked? Maybe someone with the answer will chime in? Thanks guys.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Postmaster

Robert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to all
My IDM failed, and the truck just quit. I could not get it restarted. My CEL DID illuminate. I got it towed to my buddies shop where he put in a spare IDM to see if that fixed it and it did. That was a pretty easy way to tell if it was the problem. Your's sounds more like a CPS or something to me. If your dealer did not check the CPS first, he should be shot. It's only THE MOST COMMON PROBLEM our trucks have ever had.
AIS, RE leveling kit, IssPro EV2 Gauges, PHP tunes fined tuned by Cody (cleatus12r), Hutch&Harpoon, FRx, HPx, John Wood Trans, Swamps HV/HF IDM, Firestone Airbags, RiffRaff Rear Diff Cover, Van turbo w/ported housing and billet wheel, non-ebp outlet and pedestal, Magnaflow SS 4" Exhaust
Old 05-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Senior User

Would the CPS cause that severe of problems - like hardly any power and stalling out completely and not restarting for a little while and with multiple attempts?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Postmaster

Robert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to all
Yeah, when mine failed the truck had died on me a few times when I came to an idle. Then finally it just quit completely. And wouldnt restart. Im not saying it is your CPS. I AM saying that shouldve been one of the first things your dealer checked - was whether or not the CPS recall had been done.
AIS, RE leveling kit, IssPro EV2 Gauges, PHP tunes fined tuned by Cody (cleatus12r), Hutch&Harpoon, FRx, HPx, John Wood Trans, Swamps HV/HF IDM, Firestone Airbags, RiffRaff Rear Diff Cover, Van turbo w/ported housing and billet wheel, non-ebp outlet and pedestal, Magnaflow SS 4" Exhaust
Old 05-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Guns Dont Kill People..

schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.
fordf250guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettdacosta View Post
No mod that I'm aware of and no, haven't replaced the CPS (that I know of - had the truck about 5K miles). The fuel filter was replaced within the past 5K miles. The oil filter was changed (I'm assuming) when Bean's did the injectors and an oil change about 2K miles ago. I had similar (but not exact) problems before Beans diagnosed it as the injector O-rings, however when the engine reached operating temperature the issues quit. This time, the issues weren't until the engine warmed up for a while. Once the injectors were replaced, I had no issues until yesterday when I experience the issue too severe to drive...

The engine sputtered (I thought I was almost out of gas), so I turned around to find a gas station (still with a 1/4 tank though), and got to the red light (running really rough), and it died. Took probably 4-5 minutes of intermittened attempting to start for 10-15 seconds every time before eventually it turned over, and ran really rough (low power) until I got to the dealership. The guy at the dealership drove it after I had checked out the fluids and such and let it cool for about 5 minutes. It just sorta ticked and had less power than normal until he felt it die after about 3/4 mile of getting on it. Same restart procedure until we limped back to the dealership.

Thanks for the concern and the fast responses. You guys are great. Let me know if you need any more info.
You said you still had a quarter tank,has the fuel level been that low through this whole event?Mine has run out/spit and sputtered at a quarter tank twice on me,theres an "in-tank" mod that helps these trucks,I would definately check the small things(the in-tank mod is not a small thing but im just pointing out the issues with these trucks) as told on here before spending that money bones at the stealership.
Phil Late'99 F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 SB CC SRW 7.3 4"TurboBack SS Exhaust(muffled) DP-Tuner:No Start,Stock,High Idle,60Tow,Decel,80Tow,80Econo,120Race,Lope Idle AIH Delete OBA Isspro EV2 Gauges Boost/Trans/Pyro Billet T-Stat Housing(195 Stat) BTS ValveBody Spicer/Custom Driveline(front & rear) ATS Housing HPX FRX Wrapped 6637 6.0 Trans.cooler Bellowed Up Pipes GPR LED Tank Mods Pre Pump Filter Riffraff I/C Boots W/Riffraff Plenum Inserts.50 mod Warn Hubs Firestone Ride Rites B.E.S.T. Map PAA Member # 34
Old 05-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Senior User

Would it matter that the 3 previous tanks have had the light come on before they've even gotten low. I still drove around some before filling up with about 29-30 gallons to fill up. With this one, the light hadn't even come on yet?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Senior User

I'm about to call to see the results of the rest of the diagnostic test they had to run. Just to make sure I get it right - there is a recall on the CPS for the late build 1999's (which mine is) - and is there anything else I should make sure to ask while on the phone. I won't be committing to anything yet - just wanted to know what he found out. Thanks in advance, guys.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Guns Dont Kill People..

schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.
fordf250guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettdacosta View Post
I'm about to call to see the results of the rest of the diagnostic test they had to run. Just to make sure I get it right - there is a recall on the CPS for the late build 1999's (which mine is) - and is there anything else I should make sure to ask while on the phone. I won't be committing to anything yet - just wanted to know what he found out. Thanks in advance, guys.
Just be sure to post the diagnostic report back to these guys before you give them the go ahead to fix/replace anything.There are some VERY knowledgable guys on here that the stealerships don't like hearing about..LOL,I bet just about whatever the problem is,you could fix it with the guidance of these guys as long as you handy with the wrenches and save a ton of money.
Phil Late'99 F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 SB CC SRW 7.3 4"TurboBack SS Exhaust(muffled) DP-Tuner:No Start,Stock,High Idle,60Tow,Decel,80Tow,80Econo,120Race,Lope Idle AIH Delete OBA Isspro EV2 Gauges Boost/Trans/Pyro Billet T-Stat Housing(195 Stat) BTS ValveBody Spicer/Custom Driveline(front & rear) ATS Housing HPX FRX Wrapped 6637 6.0 Trans.cooler Bellowed Up Pipes GPR LED Tank Mods Pre Pump Filter Riffraff I/C Boots W/Riffraff Plenum Inserts.50 mod Warn Hubs Firestone Ride Rites B.E.S.T. Map PAA Member # 34
Old 05-18-2010, 04:12 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
73, 99, aftermarket, diesel, f250, f50, ford, idm, powerstroke, problem, problems, replacement, running, stand, trucks