Sponsored by: DP Tuner

IDM problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation IDM problems?

I had sputtering and stalling recently, so I took it to the dealer - couldn't afford to really shop around, but he's telling me most likely the IDM (like 1200-1400 bucks)? I just didn't know how common this is, but I was trying to find something to stand on when he finishes up the diagnosis. When the IDM goes bad, seems like that is a big enough problem to throw a CEL, but I haven't gotten one. I had the Injectors replaced recently, and I'm wondering if maybe this stems from that. Could anyone provide any help (especially the CEL question)? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:01 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you tell us in a little more detail what your symptoms were? IDM's "can" go bad but pretty rare. How long has this been happening? Does it restart after stalling? How old are the fuel and oil filters? Have you changed out the CPS at all?

Sorry about all the questions. This will help narrow down the search

Old 05-18-2010, 02:20 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also have you checked the uvch or done the 50 cent mod?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
No mod that I'm aware of and no, haven't replaced the CPS (that I know of - had the truck about 5K miles). The fuel filter was replaced within the past 5K miles. The oil filter was changed (I'm assuming) when Bean's did the injectors and an oil change about 2K miles ago. I had similar (but not exact) problems before Beans diagnosed it as the injector O-rings, however when the engine reached operating temperature the issues quit. This time, the issues weren't until the engine warmed up for a while. Once the injectors were replaced, I had no issues until yesterday when I experience the issue too severe to drive...

The engine sputtered (I thought I was almost out of gas), so I turned around to find a gas station (still with a 1/4 tank though), and got to the red light (running really rough), and it died. Took probably 4-5 minutes of intermittened attempting to start for 10-15 seconds every time before eventually it turned over, and ran really rough (low power) until I got to the dealership. The guy at the dealership drove it after I had checked out the fluids and such and let it cool for about 5 minutes. It just sorta ticked and had less power than normal until he felt it die after about 3/4 mile of getting on it. Same restart procedure until we limped back to the dealership.

Thanks for the concern and the fast responses. You guys are great. Let me know if you need any more info.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:55 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am with Jim. Check the harness going under the valve covers (UVCH). Would not hurt to try a different CPS. That is only about $20. Do those cheap things first.

Where are you located? Maybe another member is nearby that can help. Do you have the truck or the shop?

Old 05-18-2010, 03:01 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Just looked up the CPS sensor replacement - doesn't seem too tough. The UVCH sounds a little more difficult. What is needed, and is there a good walk through? What's the time estimate on this job. I don't have all the time in the world (nor money), but I don't want to just pay a dealer a lot of money to fix what he diagnosed to be wrong, and then it turns out to be something cheaper I could have done. Thanks for the ideas, now could you help me with the procedure. The truck is at the dealership still (driving a 3rd car that's not registered and is for sale - need it fixed pretty quick). Thanks again, guys.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
kdv
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wouldnt uvch set a CEL?

Ken

Old 05-18-2010, 03:05 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Kinda thought that it AND the IDM would throw a CEL (asked in the first post), but I guess it was overlooked? Maybe someone with the answer will chime in? Thanks guys.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

My IDM failed, and the truck just quit. I could not get it restarted. My CEL DID illuminate. I got it towed to my buddies shop where he put in a spare IDM to see if that fixed it and it did. That was a pretty easy way to tell if it was the problem. Your's sounds more like a CPS or something to me. If your dealer did not check the CPS first, he should be shot. It's only THE MOST COMMON PROBLEM our trucks have ever had.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:28 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Would the CPS cause that severe of problems - like hardly any power and stalling out completely and not restarting for a little while and with multiple attempts?

Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Yeah, when mine failed the truck had died on me a few times when I came to an idle. Then finally it just quit completely. And wouldnt restart. Im not saying it is your CPS. I AM saying that shouldve been one of the first things your dealer checked - was whether or not the CPS recall had been done.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:42 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by brettdacosta
No mod that I'm aware of and no, haven't replaced the CPS (that I know of - had the truck about 5K miles). The fuel filter was replaced within the past 5K miles. The oil filter was changed (I'm assuming) when Bean's did the injectors and an oil change about 2K miles ago. I had similar (but not exact) problems before Beans diagnosed it as the injector O-rings, however when the engine reached operating temperature the issues quit. This time, the issues weren't until the engine warmed up for a while. Once the injectors were replaced, I had no issues until yesterday when I experience the issue too severe to drive...

The engine sputtered (I thought I was almost out of gas), so I turned around to find a gas station (still with a 1/4 tank though), and got to the red light (running really rough), and it died. Took probably 4-5 minutes of intermittened attempting to start for 10-15 seconds every time before eventually it turned over, and ran really rough (low power) until I got to the dealership. The guy at the dealership drove it after I had checked out the fluids and such and let it cool for about 5 minutes. It just sorta ticked and had less power than normal until he felt it die after about 3/4 mile of getting on it. Same restart procedure until we limped back to the dealership.

Thanks for the concern and the fast responses. You guys are great. Let me know if you need any more info.
You said you still had a quarter tank,has the fuel level been that low through this whole event?Mine has run out/spit and sputtered at a quarter tank twice on me,theres an "in-tank" mod that helps these trucks,I would definately check the small things(the in-tank mod is not a small thing but im just pointing out the issues with these trucks) as told on here before spending that money bones at the stealership.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:47 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Would it matter that the 3 previous tanks have had the light come on before they've even gotten low. I still drove around some before filling up with about 29-30 gallons to fill up. With this one, the light hadn't even come on yet?

Old 05-18-2010, 03:49 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
I'm about to call to see the results of the rest of the diagnostic test they had to run. Just to make sure I get it right - there is a recall on the CPS for the late build 1999's (which mine is) - and is there anything else I should make sure to ask while on the phone. I won't be committing to anything yet - just wanted to know what he found out. Thanks in advance, guys.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:12 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by brettdacosta
I'm about to call to see the results of the rest of the diagnostic test they had to run. Just to make sure I get it right - there is a recall on the CPS for the late build 1999's (which mine is) - and is there anything else I should make sure to ask while on the phone. I won't be committing to anything yet - just wanted to know what he found out. Thanks in advance, guys.
Just be sure to post the diagnostic report back to these guys before you give them the go ahead to fix/replace anything.There are some VERY knowledgable guys on here that the stealerships don't like hearing about..LOL,I bet just about whatever the problem is,you could fix it with the guidance of these guys as long as you handy with the wrenches and save a ton of money.

Quick Reply: IDM problems?