1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

IDM problems?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:20 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok - thanks again, guys. I will definitely check back here before I give them the go ahead.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mine is doing that and it was throwing the p1316 cell code. I also had a p0672 which appears to be the #2 Glow plug. I just dropped it off at the shop for new glow plugs and checking the uvch and doing the 50 cent mod. I hope that's all it is. Mine was running like a three legged dog when mine threw the p1316 until it warmed up and has not done it since.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:38 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Ok - I just spoke to a different dude at the dealership cause the guy I had been dealing with had to leave early - nephew had taken a turn for the worse. He said that it wasn't getting fuel, but they weren't completely sure on where the issue was yet. That's about all I got from him so far, but they said they will do all the recalls on the vehicle (and said they always do). He said they would know something by 8:00 in the morning and would let me know. Any updated thoughts with the knew piece of information or just about the same? Thanks again, guys for all the support so far.

I'm just confused, cause "not getting fuel" sounds like it would be the IDM, but there's no code being thrown.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:19 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You may have a clogged in tank filter. There is a mixing chamber inside the tank and they clog up all the time. Look up hutch and harpoon mods for the fix. Where are u located there is almost always a member close by that can give u a helping hand.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
Originally Posted by brettdacosta
......I'm just confused, cause "not getting fuel" sounds like it would be the IDM, but there's no code being thrown.
The IDM manages the injector firing, it has nothing to do with fuel flow.

These trucks don't monitor fuel pressure and the dealer would have had to install a mechanical fuel pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure. Make sure they can prove to you that they somehow know that the truck is "not getting fuel" before they start throwing parts at it.

If that is indeed the problem, its most likely the fuel pump or a clogged filter screen in the pickup tube in the tank.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
I've seen a lot of threads pointing to an IDM mod thread, but everyone of them takes me to a thread on diesel garage titled "Damn Thieves". I also saw something about dieselgarage being hacked. Does anyone have a link to a real sticky or just a how to on the IDM mod or replacement? Thanks - just want to see it done in a write up before I apparently have to call them to find out what is wrong.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

the idm mod just makes the voltage to the injectors higher it will do nothing to help you.
Id start with the 3 fore mentioned possible solutions.

In tank mods...less than $100 this will make sure ur in tank screens aren't clogged or go in the tank dismantle the mixing chamber and clean out the screens (free)

Replace cps. .. $25 only replace with a ford or internatinal unit

Under valve cover harness...$0.50 pull valve covers and secure harness witH a quarter

Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

the idm mod just makes the voltage to the injectors higher it will do nothing to help you.
Id start with the 3 fore mentioned possible solutions.

In tank mods...less than $100 this will make sure ur in tank screens aren't clogged or go in the tank dismantle the mixing chamber and clean out the screens (free)

Replace cps. .. $25 only replace with a ford or internatinal unit

Under valve cover harness...$0.50 pull valve covers and secure harness witH a quarter

Old 05-19-2010, 01:27 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Jim, sorry for seeming like I wasn't listening to your advice. I just can't find any write-ups or descriptions on how to do the UVCH, and I don't have the know-how on my own to just start unbolting. The in-tank mods I've found a couple threads on, but nothing described in too much detail and I didn't know if it was actually walk-through-ed somewhere. The CPS is as simple as a unscrew a bolt and replace the sensor with a new one (heard getting to it is the tough part). Where would you say is the best place to get a CPS though (not necessarily the cheapest) - but I'm on sort of a time crunch? Thanks again for the continued support.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:27 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Would any of the above issues throw codes - the uvc harness, the cps, or a clogged screen? Thanks.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the uvc harness will throw a code p1316. I just talked to my mechanic and he said it was definatly my problem. I gave him. 50 cent to fix the problem. It was also throwing a glow plug code. He told me the glow plugs were fine. I guess this problem causes two codes to happen.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:46 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Well - thought I had enough fuel. I just delivered 5 gallons of fuel to the shop, and eventually they had it running. They said it had air in the lines, so they just purged the system, and it was idling while I was on the phone. They said it needed to relearn the fuel system (maybe not those exact words) and that they wanted to drive it some more, and let things sit overnight, and they should know more in the morning. They did say (which lines up with you guys opinion - I believe) that they were leaning towards the fuel sending unit. This is probably referring to the screen that every body was trying to point me towards. Let me know your current thoughts and if they line up with the in-tank fixes you guys mentioned. Thanks again.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:42 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Fuel issues don't throw codes i don't think.
I think the stealership will simply replace the sending unit as a whole unit and not just clean the screen. I remember hearing that ford considers it a non servicable filter, and that it should last as long as the truck.
Also there are lots of guys In tn that would be willing to help u

Old 05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by brettdacosta
Well - thought I had enough fuel. I just delivered 5 gallons of fuel to the shop, and eventually they had it running. They said it had air in the lines, so they just purged the system, and it was idling while I was on the phone. They said it needed to relearn the fuel system (maybe not those exact words) and that they wanted to drive it some more, and let things sit overnight, and they should know more in the morning. They did say (which lines up with you guys opinion - I believe) that they were leaning towards the fuel sending unit. This is probably referring to the screen that every body was trying to point me towards. Let me know your current thoughts and if they line up with the in-tank fixes you guys mentioned. Thanks again.
What I'm wondering is,are they charging you hourly labor while your truck is idleing/"driving it some more"...if so you're getting raped..bad.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 AM
brettdacosta
Tuned
They better not be charging me, cause I specifically told them - I want to know before you do anything to the truck that will charge me. So, Jim - what do you recommend then? Just cleaning the screen. I know there was about a $100 fix you listed a few posts back, but I wasn't sure what that was for? Would the hutch and harpoon mods be included in that $100 or would neither of those be the fix I'm looking for. I'm sorry I haven't been able to find much on the hutch or harpoon mods from here at work (they block the master's site - guzzle, I believe, and pretty much everybody references his work). Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IDM problems?