Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Elder User

1081 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Kid Heading to La Verne

Greetings to my Ford friends in California. I am from Kansas City and know nothing about living in California but have a reason to learn more. My daughter has been accepted in a doctorate program at La Verne University and will be moving there next fall. She completed her undergrad in New Orleans LA, and was born and raised here in the Mid-west...just like me. I expect that it is an entire different world "out there" in CA, somewhat of a culture shock, but would like some advise from you guys.

My main project right now is to find some affordable housing for a non-working post-graduate student that is close to La Verne University. I have spent some time on Craigslist but am very leary of what I come across. She does have experience as a nanny in NOLA, so if that is an advantage in finding a room that would be great.

My questions of you folks out there deal with any advice you may have for us and if you might have any ideas or connections on finding a good affordable place to live for the next five years.

Thank you,
Bryon
Old 05-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
Congratulations to your daughter, Bryon....you must be quite proud of her.

Affordable for a non-working student is going to be a tall order, as I'm sure you've discovered by searching Craigslist.

Will she be going to the main campus in La Verne?
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 05-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Senior User

robertbenita is starting off with a positive reputation.
Congratulations! La Verne is very nice, but getting her own place could be tough for a decent price. I would suggest contacting the school, they also have an undergraduate program, and see what might be available for a semester sharing a house or renting a room right near by. That should be doable. Finding great roommates can be tough, but maybe she will get lucky. Or at least, she'll have a place to call home while she looks in the area. Places nearby to look are San Dimas, Glendora, and Claremont. Not to slight anyone, but I would not recommend the Pomona area. And La Verne is one I would throw in with these three as well. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:53 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Byron, my congratulations on her achievement as well.

I don't know if you have spent time in So Cal, but in case you haven't, your daughter is going to need a car. Public transportation won't cut it like it might in some cities. The bright side is that you can expand your search area, and the lower rent might cover the auto expenses. La Verne is well served by the Freeway system.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 05-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Elder User

1081 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you very much. I haven't spent any time in SoCal, or California for that fact. She has a car now, I will be changing that one out for a better one so she will have transportation. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appriciated.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter