Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Senior User

blowhole is starting off with a positive reputation.
Installing Driving Lights - Wiring Question

Got a wiring question: Got 4 Hella's I am installing and am curious what wire I need to tap into for energizing the relay(s) so that the lights can come on with both the high and low beams??

Is it easiest to tap the wire just behind the headlight? If not, where is the best place to tap it?

For info purposes: I am installing two switches on the dash to control each set of 2. I am just using the Hella harness that came with the lights, nothing complicated.

Thanks in advance, and let me know of any best practices ya'll have found when doing similar mods.
sold --> [ 2005 Excursion - Eddie Bauer - 6.0L PS ] : DieselSite Coolant Filter : Zoodad w/ Z-Plate : 4" MBRP TB Exhaust w/ 5" tip & No Cat : Thule Rack on stock rails : ISSPro Boost & Trans Temp & EGT : Fumoto Valve : Silverstar Lamps
Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
I just installed two Hellas, but I ran my relay off the high beam with no switch so when I hit the high beams the Hellas come on at the same time. You might tap your relay off the parking lights. That will give you relay power whenever high or low beams are on.

2000 F250 V10 5-SPD 4X4 Crew w/ 5-Star SCT X3
1949 F1 - (WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD)

Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Senior User

blowhole is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy View Post
I just installed two Hellas, but I ran my relay off the high beam with no switch so when I hit the high beams the Hellas come on at the same time. You might tap your relay off the parking lights. That will give you relay power whenever high or low beams are on.
Aaah, very good idea, BigPig! You don't happen to know which wire that would be, and where?? (Reps given).
sold --> [ 2005 Excursion - Eddie Bauer - 6.0L PS ] : DieselSite Coolant Filter : Zoodad w/ Z-Plate : 4" MBRP TB Exhaust w/ 5" tip & No Cat : Thule Rack on stock rails : ISSPro Boost & Trans Temp & EGT : Fumoto Valve : Silverstar Lamps
Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Posting Guru

wallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud of
I would just run thru the firewall with the supplied leeds and go to the extra supplied fuse for "user". I believe it is hot on key.
2002 Excursion, 4x4, V-10, XLT, RS9000 shocks, true trac diff, 08 alum diff cover, interior light delete, 08 power fold/xtend mirrors, KM2 tires, 5 Star tuned, front cryo powerslots with hawk pads, XRF ball joints. 50" front mounted LED bar, 10" reverse light LED bar. Banks stainless long tube headers and exhaust kit., front seat heaters.
2011 Expedition, Ltd Max, 4x4. 30" LED light bar, flip key fob, 9 passenger, more to come.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Elder User

BAJI26 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just tap it right by the park lights using a relay... simplest!

NEXT - 08 Mirrors
COMING - Backup Camera
COMING - Upholstry
Old 05-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowhole View Post
Aaah, very good idea, BigPig! You don't happen to know which wire that would be, and where?? (Reps given).
I believe it was black w/green stripe. Just check the wires at your headlight socket, it's the one that powers on when you flip the high beam switch. I traced it back to the firewall just under the passenger side wiper area and tapped into it there to keep it from exposure to the elements. I then mounted my relay on the stud that holds the starter relay, and used the starter relay for my constant 12V on the Hella relay. That kept all wires on the passenger side of the engine compartment nice and neat. If you didn't see the relay you wouldn't know it was there.

I can get pics, but not today.

2000 F250 V10 5-SPD 4X4 Crew w/ 5-Star SCT X3
1949 F1 - (WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD)

Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Posting Guru

robert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowhole View Post
...for energizing the relay(s) so that the lights can come on with both the high and low beams??
Add a cut off switch...most states only allow 4 white lights to the front maximum (low beams+driving lights). Most states require all other white lights are off when the high beam lights are on.

...take it from someone who's received a ticket for too many lights to the front.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
2000, 2002, driving, excursion, explorer, f150, f250, ford, installing, lights, navigator, power, relay, truck, wiring