General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Name calling, labels

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 11:41 PM
fordtruckin
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name calling, labels

Old 10-29-2002, 06:17 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Name calling, labels

People who know me would find it strange that I would speak out on the constant use of the label "liberal" because my politics certainly lean in the other direction. It's just that over and over, I see everything from Hurricane Carla to the dip in the Dow blamed on liberals. I see arguments made and supported by pinning a label on anyone whose opion differs.

If someone sincerely believes in something and states his/her opinion in a respectful manner, in a free country, he has the right to be heard with respect ((note the term "lousy liberal" in response to my recent comment).

I enjoy a good debate - with good arguments, supported with facts and presented with mutual respect, but I think the scornful blanket application of a label is taking the low road.

I also believe that disagreement is a good thing - an educational thing. Awhile back, I wrote some things regarding Nascar that elicited some strong disagreeing responses. After considering the viewpoints of some of the responders, I realized that some of my comments were wrong, and I left the exchange better for the experience.

What I'm saying is let us share our experiences, knowledge, agreements and disagreements with some class and refrain from the name calling.

Just my opinion.
Dono

Old 10-29-2002, 06:44 PM
samhihn
Senior User
Name calling, labels

ha ha ha ha .....Don't be so freakin sensitive...dipstick

Old 10-29-2002, 07:21 PM
Nutter
Elder User
Name calling, labels

If we start getting into group hugs I'm outa here!

Old 10-29-2002, 07:29 PM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru
Name calling, labels

You don't have a 'RIGHT TO BE HEARD' you have a right to free speach but no one has to listen to you.

Old 10-29-2002, 08:24 PM
fatdaddy
Posting Guru
Name calling, labels

dono , I'm no bleeding heart and I Agree with everything you said-----The political climate in today's world is based solely on character asassination based on one word labels , i.e.>>>>Liberal<<<<--there is nothing wrong with being a liberal-----I vote for the man and not the Party---The truth is , is that once whoever gets elected and goes to D.C. , they already have a Predetermined legislative agenda that they are expected to follow based upon Whom they've accepted campain Money from-----They are NOT working for the people that elected them.....They work for those that Paid'um----Some people don't seem to perceive the Disconnect between being elected and representing the particular concerns of the folks that voted for them------The whole Congress is taking Payola to some extent or another.....fd

Old 10-30-2002, 11:05 AM
truckertaz
Posting Guru
Name calling, labels

>ha ha ha ha .....Don't be so freakin
>sensitive...dipstick

Old 10-30-2002, 11:21 AM
HotWhlz85
Laughing Gas
Name calling, labels

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-Oct-02 AT 12:23&nbsp;PM (EST)]>What I'm saying is let us share our experiences, knowledge,
>agreements and disagreements with some class and refrain
>from the name calling.
>
>Just my opinion.
>Dono

Well said Dono. I think you have touched on what seperates FTE from most of the other boards we find online. With nearly 65,000 members there is bound to be disagreement here. The fact that for the most part, disagreements here are friendly and respectful of other's opinions speaks volumes to the type people that hang out here as well as the way this board is moderated.

And that is why we can proudly say....

Ron

Old 10-30-2002, 01:01 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Name calling, labels

>ha ha ha ha .....Don't be so freakin
>sensitive...dipstick
I'm reminded that sometimes the best way to prove an argument is to open the door and let another prove it for you - good job!
Dono

Old 10-30-2002, 01:32 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Name calling, labels

"ha ha ha ha .....Don't be so freakin sensitive...dipstick
mike"

~Obviously the act of a leftist attempting to undermine free speach, mothers apple pie, and ample profit margins throughout the free world...

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT!!!

*ROFL*

Old 10-30-2002, 02:32 PM
rocky
Elder User
Name calling, labels

Next we'll hear for banning the "L" word

Old 10-30-2002, 03:49 PM
oldblue1989
New User
Name calling, labels

I like the name calling

Old 10-30-2002, 04:40 PM
brienobrien
Elder User
Name calling, labels

Dono: Don't sweat the small stuff man. It is just the way politics works today. It is born out of the 60 second sound bite. In the 50's it was Mc Carthyism and everyone running around calling people commies! Like the others stated, don't take it so serious. Leave it to the politicians and the newscasters.

Labels and name calling is just a product of those who can't think beyond the label. It is also designed for those who can't think beyond the label either. Not me man! Sticks & stones.......

I have liberal views with regard to many social aspects of this nation yet I am very conservative in my constitutional views. I vote Libertarian when I can, yet how does one reconcile liberal social views with conservative constitutional views and still call themselves conservative? Well you can't. Therefore, anachronisms defy labels. It is what makes one an individual, and I for one, am proud of it. Maybe we should start the Anachronistic party!

Old 10-30-2002, 05:38 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Name calling, labels

Nah, "Anachronistic Party" sounds too advanced man...

Old 10-30-2002, 06:01 PM
hitecdan
Elder User
Name calling, labels

>People who know me would find it strange that I would speak
>out on the constant use of the label "liberal" because my
>politics certainly lean in the other direction. It's just
>that over and over, I see everything from Hurricane Carla to
>the dip in the Dow blamed on liberals. I see arguments made
>and supported by pinning a label on anyone whose opion
>differs.
>
Sure, liberals have the right to have their options. But they seem to be the first group of people that wrap themselves in the First Amendment, then call you a racist, bigot, homophobe, narrow minded **** if you don't agree with them. I hear liberal throwing labels around more then anyone else.

Oh, and I really hate it when a liberal says he/she is a patriot because they have a dissenting option. Since when was hating America considered patriotic?

Quick Reply: Name calling, labels