Sponsored by:

Checklist for buying an Ex..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:33 AM
Grahams
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checklist for buying an Ex..

From all the information I've gathered so far on FTE, I should more or less follow this checklist when buying (my first) Excursion 6.0:

1. Obtain Oasis report from seller and post on FTE for feedback;
2. For the purpose of Ex issues and extended warranty, have the truck fully inspected by a 3rd party certified diesel tech checking among the standard things; condition of headstuds, EGR, intake, front end/ball joints/wheel bearings, oil leaks, fuel pressure, etc..
3. If purchasing extended warranty(which I am), stick with a genuine ford warranty.
4. Test drive
5. Refundable deposit and sale contingent on 'my' satisfaction of a good Oasis report and inspection.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks, Graham

Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Grahams
From all the information I've gathered so far on FTE, I should more or less follow this checklist when buying (my first) Excursion 6.0:

1. Obtain Oasis report from seller and post on FTE for feedback;
2. For the purpose of Ex issues and extended warranty, have the truck fully inspected by a 3rd party certified diesel tech checking among the standard things; condition of headstuds, EGR, intake, front end/ball joints/wheel bearings, oil leaks, fuel pressure, etc..
3. If purchasing extended warranty(which I am), stick with a genuine ford warranty.
4. Test drive
5. Refundable deposit and sale contingent on 'my' satisfaction of a good Oasis report and inspection.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks, Graham
THe OASIS report will give you the info you need to purchase the EX. Look on the driver side pillar at the bottom to see if it has a Ford buyback sticker etc....

Old 05-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Grahams
Junior User
Originally Posted by scottman70
THe OASIS report will give you the info you need to purchase the EX. Look on the driver side pillar at the bottom to see if it has a Ford buyback sticker etc....
Thanks Scottman, what does a 'Ford buyback sticker' mean to me?

Old 05-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Thanks Scottman, what does a 'Ford buyback sticker' mean to me?
It means the truck was tagged as lemon and Ford was forced to buy it back. A truck like that probably isn't worth the risk...

Old 05-17-2010, 03:24 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have to assume Ford bought it back because it was a lemon...

Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
SAR Skipper
Junior User

Frankly, I'd do some research and probably forego the FORD ESP in favor of one through a credit union. (If you don't belong-join one!)

I'd stay away from these things you get in the mail as well.

The dealership ESP's are generally overpriced to begin with and a huge profit center for the dealerships.

I've purchased several over my lifetime, both "factory" (dealership) and aftermarket (credit union).

Other than my TOYOTA warranty, most dealerships tried to give me grief when I used the warranty.

In comparison, the last warranty I purchased (through the CU) saved me over $500.00 over the comperable dealership ESP for the same coverage (or better).
It can be used anywhere (no need to be at a dealership, authorized repair facility or await reimbursement), can be transferred and the unused portion can be refunded if I no lnger have the car

The times I've had to use it, the coverage has been simple and seamless

I highly recomment that you take the time and effort to do the research.