Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on removing dash / replacing dash power point?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:43 PM
geek guy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips on removing dash / replacing dash power point?

Hiya folks.

My front power point has gone and kicked the bucket. I have zero idea about how to go about removing the dash in order to get to this little bugger.

Any tips/tricks on how to remove the dash and replace this thing?

The power point is both electrically broken AND physically broken - the housing is detached from the rear of the dash (I may just pop rivet it back if I can rig it up), but I need to figure out HOW to get back there.

Thanks in advance!

-E

Old 05-16-2010, 10:21 PM
bwindell
Junior User
try this thread - good one for removing the dash

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...t=dash+removal

Old 05-16-2010, 11:24 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just pulled my dash face the other day to replace some dash bulbs. You have to start by removing the radio. If it is the factory radio with the 4 holes, just put a medium size nail in each one and push them to the outside while you slide the radio out. Then it's the two screws above the radio and give the dash face a good pull to pop it out.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 AM
ke6zmy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thread refered to by bwindel, above, is a great thread for what you are trying to do. The pictures are great! (Even if I do say so myself.) And note that the radio removal tool is only 5 bucks. It is well worth the investment as another thread shows you how the radio locks might be buggered up if you don't use the proper tool. Maybe not. But if they are buggered up and the radio does not come out you may be buying a new dash. But then, it is a risk some are willing to take. Sucessfully, I might ad.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:21 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
geek guy, I think I have an extra power point socket if you don't have a replacement already. Hit me up if you need it.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 AM
officer131
Posting Guru
I removed the dash two days ago putting in my F650 lower dash. Its simple as stated above.

1. remove radio.
2. remove two (6mm i think) screws located in the radio opening. at the top.
3. Pop out the light switch and disconnet the two plugs.
4. I started on the outside piece near the door and started to pull out the dash loosening the clips.
5. Since I have the four gauge pillar I had to put the shifter in 1st to clear the panel once is was all loose.

Before I go on, which power point are you replacing. I have two one one the upper dash and the second on the lower dash below the cupholders.

6. if its the lower power point, its only four more screws to remove.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 AM
RobertH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What if I can't get my radio out? It releases on the left side, but not the right. I tried lots of combinations to try and pry it out with a scraper bent at 45 degrees at the tip, and still no luck.
Anyone had this happen before? Any tricks up your sleeve? I could not find anyway to get up under the dash and reach up in that area either.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
crutch field sells a removal tool, you could bend 2 coat hangers shaped like a v, then insert them into the 4 holes...

Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 AM
ke6zmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by RobertH
What if I can't get my radio out? It releases on the left side, but not the right. I tried lots of combinations to try and pry it out with a scraper bent at 45 degrees at the tip, and still no luck.
Anyone had this happen before? Any tricks up your sleeve? I could not find anyway to get up under the dash and reach up in that area either.
Yep.... Buy the $5 tool at your local parts store.

I am handy with tools and built the ones suggested numerous times throughout the internet. I finally bought the $5 tool. Radio came out.

Then I found out that the home made tools do not have the detents like the $5 ones, they go in too far, they bend the latches making removal more difficult. If not impossible without breaking things.

The $5 tool is cheap insurance against having to replace broken parts and saves a lot of frustration.

Note, when you get the radio out there are two 7mm bolts just inside, at the top of the opening. Then the dash comes off with a pull.

There are some decent photos in this, or another thread here.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
I've never had to take any screws out of any of mine to remove it?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
ke6zmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
I've never had to take any screws out of any of mine to remove it?
I have an '03 Limited and they are there.

But then, from your avatar, it doesn't look like you had to remove any bolts to remove the doors, hood, front grill, and several other parts.

Was that one sat on by an elephant? I saw one that had been rolled once and the top was flat.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:58 AM
RobertH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will search for the tool. Think I did see one a while back at a Super Walmart. However, I am thinking that the tabs are damaged. I had removed it before and it was very easy, so not sure what happened this time.
Definately have to remove it to get to the screws.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine must be boogered up! I have used the radio pullers and it still will not release on the left side

Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM
ke6zmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Joe28443
Mine must be boogered up! I have used the radio pullers and it still will not release on the left side
Could be.

I just went out to my truck, slipped the tools into place, pressed the tools away from each other, and pulled.

As I did I was reminded that the tools need to "click" into place. Do not jamb them in as far as they will go. Or, not far enough. They do "click" into the retaining clips.

If the clips are damaged you may have to work to tools. Be patient. It may take several minutes to get them properly seated.

Then, with pressure on the tools, remove the radio.

Repair the retaining springs once removed.

My springs got damaged because I tried to use the home made tools. Once I got the proper tools it took me about 30 minutes to get them properly seated and to work.

Once the radio was out, I used some needle nose pliers to adjust the spring parts as they should be. Now, with the proper tools, it works every time. And, yes, as the years accumulate, I have removed it a couple of times for one reason or another.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Originally Posted by ke6zmy
I have an '03 Limited and they are there.

But then, from your avatar, it doesn't look like you had to remove any bolts to remove the doors, hood, front grill, and several other parts.

Was that one sat on by an elephant? I saw one that had been rolled once and the top was flat.
It rolled once and sat upside down for about two hours. We did lift the roof up a little from where it had been when I got it.

I've only had the dash panel out of both '02s, and neither had them. In fact, like Joe, the one in the wreck wouldn't come out, and I'm not sure why. I basically took everything out and had to kinda twist out the panel with the radio still in. I've used the same method to remove the radio in the other '02 and the '05, which worked fine in both. This one was just stuck for some reason. I was able to pull that dash panel off without hurting it though, and then removed the radio once I could get to the inside and squeeze the springs more. I'm sure I'll find out soon though whether or not the '05 has the screws.

Quick Reply: Tips on removing dash / replacing dash power point?