Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Freshman User

geek guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tips on removing dash / replacing dash power point?

Hiya folks.

My front power point has gone and kicked the bucket. I have zero idea about how to go about removing the dash in order to get to this little bugger.

Any tips/tricks on how to remove the dash and replace this thing?

The power point is both electrically broken AND physically broken - the housing is detached from the rear of the dash (I may just pop rivet it back if I can rig it up), but I need to figure out HOW to get back there.

Thanks in advance!

-E
Old 05-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Junior User

bwindell is starting off with a positive reputation.
try this thread - good one for removing the dash

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/92...t=dash+removal
Old 05-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
I just pulled my dash face the other day to replace some dash bulbs. You have to start by removing the radio. If it is the factory radio with the 4 holes, just put a medium size nail in each one and push them to the outside while you slide the radio out. Then it's the two screws above the radio and give the dash face a good pull to pop it out.

2000 F250 V10 5-SPD 4X4 Crew w/ 5-Star SCT X3
1949 F1 - (WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD)

Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 AM
Senior User

ke6zmy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The thread refered to by bwindel, above, is a great thread for what you are trying to do. The pictures are great! (Even if I do say so myself.) And note that the radio removal tool is only 5 bucks. It is well worth the investment as another thread shows you how the radio locks might be buggered up if you don't use the proper tool. Maybe not. But if they are buggered up and the radio does not come out you may be buying a new dash. But then, it is a risk some are willing to take. Sucessfully, I might ad.
'03 Excursion, 7.3L, 4X4, Auto tranny of course (they all did), 4" MBRP exhaust, TS performance chip, K&N FIPK w/ an Amsoil EA filter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, drilled/slotted front & rear rotors. Rancho XL shocks, Rancho steering damper, Airlift 5000, S&S Diversified headlight mod.
F-350, 6.0L, 4X4, manual tranny, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bully Dog outlook w/ Triple Dog downloader.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Elder User

RMBC Freeride has a good reputation on FTE.RMBC Freeride has a good reputation on FTE.
geek guy, I think I have an extra power point socket if you don't have a replacement already. Hit me up if you need it.
2002 Excursion LTD-Ultimate 4WD 7.3 PSD (major project, here): 35" Dura-Grapplers, Regeared to 4.10's, V-codes+2.5" leveling kit front, C-code+extra leaf rear, 4" Magnaflow turbo-back, EBPV delete, 1.0AR Exh. Housing, Bellowed up-pipes, DIY 6637+Petes cover, Wicked Wheel, Banks 6.0 Intercooler, 6.0 Trans Cooler, RiffRaff HPx, AIH & FRx, PHP Tunes, T500 HPOP
Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 AM
Posting Guru

officer131 has a great reputation on FTE.officer131 has a great reputation on FTE.officer131 has a great reputation on FTE.officer131 has a great reputation on FTE.
I removed the dash two days ago putting in my F650 lower dash. Its simple as stated above.

1. remove radio.
2. remove two (6mm i think) screws located in the radio opening. at the top.
3. Pop out the light switch and disconnet the two plugs.
4. I started on the outside piece near the door and started to pull out the dash loosening the clips.
5. Since I have the four gauge pillar I had to put the shifter in 1st to clear the panel once is was all loose.

Before I go on, which power point are you replacing. I have two one one the upper dash and the second on the lower dash below the cupholders.

6. if its the lower power point, its only four more screws to remove.
02 Ex. LT 7.3 diesel. 4" SS 409 MBRP. AFE stage 2 w/pro guard air intake. DP Tuner F6: N/S, Stock, 80e, 120r, 80t, high idle. CCV. Autometer Cobalt gauges Boost, Pyro, Trans, Fuel Press., Oil temp, Volts. Kenwood KVT-512. Rear DVD headrest. F-650 dash. Viair extreme duty compressors. ORU roofrack w/ 8 PIAA ATP, and PIAA 1500 rear lights.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Senior User

RobertH is starting off with a positive reputation.
What if I can't get my radio out? It releases on the left side, but not the right. I tried lots of combinations to try and pry it out with a scraper bent at 45 degrees at the tip, and still no luck.
Anyone had this happen before? Any tricks up your sleeve? I could not find anyway to get up under the dash and reach up in that area either.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Wiser by FTE

Curt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to behold
crutch field sells a removal tool, you could bend 2 coat hangers shaped like a v, then insert them into the 4 holes...
05 eb 6.0 psd, edge insight, coolant filter, 4" ss exhaust, egr delete, studs, sct & matt's custom tunes, atlas 40 ficm tune, road master as, v code front springs, rs9000's, 2.2 k inverter, frozen rotors/hawk pads, alpine amp/ 2 10" sub, 27 watt! led back-ups, led interior lights, rear view camera mirror, power-max turbo, harley headlights, hood liner,jimmi jammers, eds ficm atlas 40, F650 lower dash, blue spring, true-trac, 175 amp alt, high idle mod, 18" king ranch rims, 2008 oem super duty PPPower mirrors...
Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertH View Post
What if I can't get my radio out? It releases on the left side, but not the right. I tried lots of combinations to try and pry it out with a scraper bent at 45 degrees at the tip, and still no luck.
Anyone had this happen before? Any tricks up your sleeve? I could not find anyway to get up under the dash and reach up in that area either.
Yep.... Buy the $5 tool at your local parts store.

I am handy with tools and built the ones suggested numerous times throughout the internet. I finally bought the $5 tool. Radio came out.

Then I found out that the home made tools do not have the detents like the $5 ones, they go in too far, they bend the latches making removal more difficult. If not impossible without breaking things.

The $5 tool is cheap insurance against having to replace broken parts and saves a lot of frustration.

Note, when you get the radio out there are two 7mm bolts just inside, at the top of the opening. Then the dash comes off with a pull.

There are some decent photos in this, or another thread here.

Good luck.
'03 Excursion, 7.3L, 4X4, Auto tranny of course (they all did), 4" MBRP exhaust, TS performance chip, K&N FIPK w/ an Amsoil EA filter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, drilled/slotted front & rear rotors. Rancho XL shocks, Rancho steering damper, Airlift 5000, S&S Diversified headlight mod.
F-350, 6.0L, 4X4, manual tranny, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bully Dog outlook w/ Triple Dog downloader.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Excursion Fleet Manager

Sunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputation
I've never had to take any screws out of any of mine to remove it?
2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR travel trailer, 3/8/06, 7365.5
Old 02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
I've never had to take any screws out of any of mine to remove it?
I have an '03 Limited and they are there.

But then, from your avatar, it doesn't look like you had to remove any bolts to remove the doors, hood, front grill, and several other parts.

Was that one sat on by an elephant? I saw one that had been rolled once and the top was flat.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior User

RobertH is starting off with a positive reputation.
Will search for the tool. Think I did see one a while back at a Super Walmart. However, I am thinking that the tabs are damaged. I had removed it before and it was very easy, so not sure what happened this time.
Definately have to remove it to get to the screws.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Joe28443

Joe28443 has a very good reputation on FTE.Joe28443 has a very good reputation on FTE.Joe28443 has a very good reputation on FTE.Joe28443 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Mine must be boogered up! I have used the radio pullers and it still will not release on the left side
Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe28443 View Post
Mine must be boogered up! I have used the radio pullers and it still will not release on the left side
Could be.

I just went out to my truck, slipped the tools into place, pressed the tools away from each other, and pulled.

As I did I was reminded that the tools need to "click" into place. Do not jamb them in as far as they will go. Or, not far enough. They do "click" into the retaining clips.

If the clips are damaged you may have to work to tools. Be patient. It may take several minutes to get them properly seated.

Then, with pressure on the tools, remove the radio.

Repair the retaining springs once removed.

My springs got damaged because I tried to use the home made tools. Once I got the proper tools it took me about 30 minutes to get them properly seated and to work.

Once the radio was out, I used some needle nose pliers to adjust the spring parts as they should be. Now, with the proper tools, it works every time. And, yes, as the years accumulate, I have removed it a couple of times for one reason or another.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Excursion Fleet Manager

Sunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6zmy View Post
I have an '03 Limited and they are there.

But then, from your avatar, it doesn't look like you had to remove any bolts to remove the doors, hood, front grill, and several other parts.

Was that one sat on by an elephant? I saw one that had been rolled once and the top was flat.
It rolled once and sat upside down for about two hours. We did lift the roof up a little from where it had been when I got it.

I've only had the dash panel out of both '02s, and neither had them. In fact, like Joe, the one in the wreck wouldn't come out, and I'm not sure why. I basically took everything out and had to kinda twist out the panel with the radio still in. I've used the same method to remove the radio in the other '02 and the '05, which worked fine in both. This one was just stuck for some reason. I was able to pull that dash panel off without hurting it though, and then removed the radio once I could get to the inside and squeeze the springs more. I'm sure I'll find out soon though whether or not the '05 has the screws.
2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR travel trailer, 3/8/06, 7365.5
Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
1979, 1994, broken, bronco, dash, early, f150, f250, ford, point, power, powerpoint, removing, replacing, socket, truck